zBlock min

performance seems to be where we expect it on the server. with few exceptions, there have been no issues with rubberbanding or warping. ptbx is back, mani's running, and stats are live. the only thing that's missing is CSP, which locks certain commands that could give players an advantage with registration and hitboxes.

CSP is no longer being released, and the last version contains a serious security exploit. CAL has announced they will be switching to another plugin, but didn't specifically name it. i'm guessing it will be zBlock, which norgman and a few others have recommended looking at. zBlock has the same basic functionality as CSP, but requires less CPU power to run it.

they have two versions of zBlock, one that locks cl_interp @ .1 (100ms ping), and one that locks cl_interp @ .01 (10ms ping). i'm afraid that going with the .01 lock will cause choke on more players than it is worth. because of that, we're currently testing the .1 version.

please post your feedback.

related links:

http://www.sourceforums.net/viewforum.php?f=12

http://www.sourceforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=373#4641

http://whisper.ausgamers.com/wiki/index.php/Source_Netcode

http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/general/mu...networking.html

GC Alumni

skeptics: "john's just paranoid with no life"

john: "maybe, but look @ this:

"ZoSo_420<2576><STEAM_0:1:11008438><Unassigned>" disconnected (reason "Kicked by Console : Illegal Interp Value lock")"

these are the people zBlock exists for. zBlock just levels the playing field by locking rates that most of the gamers don't even realize exist.

GC Alumni

i'm sure it undoes some of those.

What zBlock blocks:

"cl_interp", "mat_loadtextures", "cl_cmdbackup", "cl_forwardspeed", "cl_interpolate", "cl_sidespeed", "cl_soundemitter_flush", "cl_soundscape_flush", "demo_recordcommands", "dsp_dist_min", "dsp_dist_max", "fog_color", "fog_colorskybox", "fog_enable", "fog_enableskybox", "fog_enable_water_fog", "fog_end", "fog_endskybox", "fog_start", "fog_startskybox", "mat_filtertextures", "mat_depthbias_decal", "mat_showlowresimage", "r_drawdetailprops", "r_lightmap", "r_lightinterp", "r_rainalpha", "r_rainalphapow", "r_raindensity", "r_rainHack", "r_rainlength", "r_rainprofile", "r_rainradius", "r_rainsidevel", "r_rainsimulate", "r_rainspeed", "r_rainsplashpercentage", "r_rainwidth", "snd_gain", "snd_refdb", "snd_refdist", "snd_gain_max", "soundscape_fadetime"

i'm sure it undoes some of those.

What zBlock blocks:

"cl_interp", "mat_loadtextures", "cl_cmdbackup", "cl_forwardspeed", "cl_interpolate", "cl_sidespeed", "cl_soundemitter_flush", "cl_soundscape_flush", "demo_recordcommands", "dsp_dist_min", "dsp_dist_max", "fog_color", "fog_colorskybox", "fog_enable", "fog_enableskybox", "fog_enable_water_fog", "fog_end", "fog_endskybox", "fog_start", "fog_startskybox", "mat_filtertextures", "mat_depthbias_decal", "mat_showlowresimage", "r_drawdetailprops", "r_lightmap", "r_lightinterp", "r_rainalpha", "r_rainalphapow", "r_raindensity", "r_rainHack", "r_rainlength", "r_rainprofile", "r_rainradius", "r_rainsidevel", "r_rainsimulate", "r_rainspeed", "r_rainsplashpercentage", "r_rainwidth", "snd_gain", "snd_refdb", "snd_refdist", "snd_gain_max", "soundscape_fadetime"

Are you sayin' with this you can no longer record demos?

GC Alumni

i don't think it blocks demos. besides i remember "someone" saying "do we really have to demo this" for a certain clan v. clan match.

another win for zblock today:

18:04:12 "Jumper:.<215><STEAM_0:1:9847796><Unassigned>" disconnected (reason "Kicked by Console : Illegal Alias In Use")

(edited)

well some things did change with the m2 set up. I left my settings with what zblock adjusted them too.

I can notice a difference (with the zblock settings) in the midwest servers wondering how much better game play would be if we are all on the same page in terms of configuration? I do get choke from these settings a little more than from my previous configuration? sometimes peaking up to 56. At west and midwest it stays around 0 to 1 to 5 or 7 if just HE explosion then 14 or more with flash and higher with big blasts or battles! Needless to say in westcoast my shots register well (is it my end or is it that everyone is on the same cfg?) but not too well on the midwest servers with this zblock cfg?

if zblock is the official tweeker of cfg for competition shouldn't this be on all the servers? or would people not play because they have such specific cfgs?

Edited by w8t4time

GC Alumni

i'm not sure. my config.cfg file (in your /cstrike/cfg/ directory) isn't write-protected, and there aren't any cl_interp settings in there.

next time you connect to one of the midwest servers, in console type cl_interp and hit enter. it should tell you what it's currently set at.

if it's .01, that's the counter-strike default. if it's .1, that's zblock. keep me posted.

zblock will change them until you restart cs entirely

Will this occur if your config file is read only? I understand it will change it while in game but once you exit the server and join another server it should revert back to your config if it's "read only"

zblock will change them until you restart cs entirely

Will this occur if your config file is read only? I understand it will change it while in game but once you exit the server and join another server it should revert back to your config if it's "read only"

dont believe so, mine is read only and it keeps the settings until i exit cs then re-open it. Its not writing it to your cfg it just changes them when your in the game, kind of makes a temporary cfg