This is my attempt to get to 300

J. Dunlavy

Listen guys, I don't have the patience to get to 300 like everyone else. I want to see what 300 means. Will it be a new forum sub-title? The suspense is killing me, and I'm losing sleep over it.

Not really.

However, this is your opportunity to ask me questions. It's not everyday that I talk amongst the commoners, so now is your chance to ask me "How was your day?", "Boxers or briefs?", or “What is the meaning of life?� Every question you ask me brings you closer to true enlightenment and me much closer to 300 posts.

I will stop answering questions after achieving 300 posts so act NOW!

Dunlavy

Disclaimer: Dunlavy is not responsible for advice that leads to personal injury, dismemberment, mental sickness or death. By posting in this thread you waive the right to an attourney. All disputes will be settled here, out of the court of law.

You are given the option to chose the prize behind 3 doors. door A, door B and door C.

Behind the doors contains, two rubber chickens and $1,000,000 and you don't know which.

You chose door C. The Host opens door B and there is a rubber chicken. He gives you the option to switch to door A if you chose so.

What are your chances now that the million is behind door A? Do you switch to door A or keep door C?

Hmmm...I see mrX in here, he's probably thinking the same thing I am...this post should either be closed to stop your feeble attempt to gain popularity posts or be moved to it's rightful home in wonderland (where, coincidentally your posts don't count towards your post count)...what I'm trying to say is that you must try harder young padawan...think of something useful to post and then you'll attain enlightenment! And boy are you going to be surprised when you hit 300...

(this post is all love btw...feel free to mock me in anyway if you feel I came down a little harsh...I feel like you of all people can take it though...)

why would you switch? Do you know what the mathmatical odds are that the prize is now behind door A?

2/3. I hate combinatorics for crap like this.

Anyway, just look at All Members by Total Posts in Descending Order.

FYI with 300 posts you will be... PFC.

2/3. I hate combinatorics for crap like this.

Yep, you chose C, there is a 66% chance the million bucks was not door C. Even though you know may know what is behind B. Door C still only has a 33% chance.

You are given the option to chose the prize behind 3 doors. door A, door B and door C.

Behind the doors contains, two rubber chickens and $1,000,000 and you don't know which.

You chose door C. The Host opens door B and there is a rubber chicken. He gives you the option to switch to door A if you chose so.

What are your chances now that the million is behind door A? Do you switch to door A or keep door C?

carrot? :huh:

so that the posts don't count :)

wait post don't count in wonder land? :huh:

Indeed they do not. I think though that if a thread gets moved to Wonderland, your post count won't decrease until all the posts are recounted.

so that the posts don't count :)

wait post don't count in wonder land? :huh:

Indeed they do not. I think though that if a thread gets moved to Wonderland, your post count won't decrease until all the posts are recounted.

:shrug03: ... never new that!

wait do post in the gpl count?

:lol:

Wouldn't the chances for both the doors be the same?

thats wut i thought

Think of it this way... lets say there are 100 doors. You pick one, the host reveals 98 out of the remaining 99 doors to show the booby prizes. There are only 2 doors left, but the odds should be clearly not 50/50. Same thing works with 3 doors. The million is either in the door you picked first, or in either of the other 2 doors.

Wouldn't the chances for both the doors be the same?

thats wut i thought

Think of it this way... lets say there are 100 doors. You pick one, the host reveals 98 out of the remaining 99 doors to show the booby prizes. There are only 2 doors left, but the odds should be clearly not 50/50. Same thing works with 3 doors. The million is either in the door you picked first, or in either of the other 2 doors.

Actually, that only works if you have the option of choosing the first door again. Once you choose the first door, it is no longer a valid option, therefore is not counted in the recalculation of the remaining choices. Thusly, the odds are now 50/50 that you will choose right.

If; however, the first door is re-added to the choices, and the prize re-shuffled behind the doors, then you have a 33% chance to hit the jackpot.

The removal of one of the three doors is not an independent event, nor random in any way. It will always be the case that one of the two you did not choose has nothing in it, and removing that door does not have any effect on the odds that you initially chose the correct door. There was a 1/3 chance you chose right to begin with, and in the remaining 2/3 of possibilities the other door will be the right one.

This is in no way like saying that you chose one door, and then one of the others was opened at random. In that case, the fact of opening the other door has eliminated the 1/3 chance that that door was the correct one, and each of the remaining doors has 1/2 chance of being right.

Really it depends on the rules of the game. If the rules are that after you choose, one of the wrong doors will be opened, you'd double your chances by switching. If the rules are that the correct door could have been revealed, then the chances just become 1/2. Either way, there would be no particular benefit in not switching.

Alright guys, I gotta be honest. I can't reply to each question because it will all count as one post. I have officially created the worst, most lamest thread ever and I am ashamed of myself.

You are all banned. :-D

What its your favourite purepwnage.com episode?

I don't watch that.

Personally, I would stick with my initial hunch. There is always the opportunity afterwards to destroy this "host" and retrieve all of the prizes for myself. In the end, I'd get TWO rubber chickens and a million clams.

*smiles and thinks of two rubber chickens*