Extract your own DNA

EbilDustBunny

GC Alumni
(edited)

Extract your own DNA by spitting gargled salt water into diluted washing-up liquid and slowly dribbling ice-cold gin down the side of the glass. Spindly white clumps which form in the mixture are, basically, you. (source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,...361676,00.html)

or you can do it the boring way:

http://www.nature.ca/genome/05/051/pdfs/DNAextract_e.pdf

I'm such a geek for looking this up lol... but wouldn't it be nifty to say you extracted your own DNA?

Measure the speed of light by melting chocolate in microwave oven hotspots and measuring the distance between globs. Various calculations produce the answer and you can still eat the chocolate afterwards.

Become a diamond.

LifeGem of Chicago, Illinois, the book reveals, will take a few grains of your cremated remains, subject them to high pressure and temperature, and you will emerge from the process, 18 weeks later, as a sparkling one-carat diamond.

this one is kinda creepy

Edited by EbilDustBunny

I do this lab with my students, and it works pretty well.

You can use meat tenderizer and ivory dishsoap to lyse the cell and precipitate the DNA...

I would advise against gin, actually. Everclear works much better.

The key is you must keep all of the equipment ICE COLD to get this to work...otherwise the DNA will no precipitate away from the proteins it is associated with in the nucleus.

http://www.lifegem.com/

they do pets too... :/

price range 3,199- 19,000 uhhh start saving up you two... :twitch:

Of course if you do that, you really don't have a good diamond...

Nah - it's even better.

There is a guy (in Oregon) who is a glass blower, and will create a piece using the creamated remains of

your (cherished) departed pet. If you ask me, that is just one step better than stuufing fluffy and sticking

her on the matlepiece (saw this on Penn and Teller's Bullsh.., and was quite funny, actually).

It just goes to proove that Barnum was right.

Just kind of wierd if you ask me.

How much of me is needed to make me into a diamond and live?

Like, if I lost a finger in some accident and it couldn't be fixt...could I just tell the doctors to bag it up cause I have plans for it?

You can use meat tenderizer and ivory dishsoap to lyse the cell and precipitate the DNA...

The key is you must keep all of the equipment ICE COLD to get this to work...otherwise the DNA will no precipitate away from the proteins it is associated with in the nucleus.

Tek, come to fragfest and set up a science booth.

How much of me is needed to make me into a diamond and live?

Like, if I lost a finger in some accident and it couldn't be fixt...could I just tell the doctors to bag it up cause I have plans for it?

Tek, come to fragfest and set up a science booth.

ROFL... the more the better but i think they can make it out of a finger... if they can make it out of a lock of hair

a diamond? thats lame.

I want someone to put my DNA into a giant killer robot

We'll put your DNA into a endless virtual game of CSS where you only get a glock and everyone else gets a AWP. Oh, and the only map is Dust :).

a diamond? thats lame.

We'll put your DNA into a endless virtual game of CSS where you only get a glock and everyone else gets a AWP. Oh, and the only map is Dust :).

oh my...

but i think after about 500 years, my DNA character would become insanely leet at glock sniping

a diamond? thats lame.

oh my...

but i think after about 500 years, my DNA character would become insanely leet at glock sniping

Watches Disco jump in mid air and kill two AWPers with one shot from glock burst. :=