working on a house!

NOFX

(edited)

so yea, I just bought my first house friday!! I have never really worked on a house before and have no clue how to really, but it has the ugliest wood panel in the living room. I got a little anxious and decided to rip it off.

Here is my day 1 progess, Hopefully I will have the compound on the dry wall finished tomorrow, I will start the sanding on Tuesday, start the primer tuesday night. Wens have the primer finished and can start painting on Thursday.

I know alot of you work on your homes and have alot more experience than I do, so any advice or recommendations is appreciated!!

Day 1.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

image5.jpg

image6.jpg

Edited by NOFX

Oooo, I like the paneling too. I probably would have sanded it and restained it a little lighter rather than pulling it out completely. Congrats on the house purchase!

Haha, I jumped straight to the pictures, thinking, cool, new house. My first impression as well was, ooh, fix that corner and that'd be some nice paneling...ooh, he's taking it out. Eh, I agree with Chief, it was too dark anyway. Can't wait to see the room when it's done, what's the general plan?

so far Im basically just wanting to get rid of the trim and wood paneling in the living room. I finished filling in the holes and doing the compound today, Tomorrow I will sand it down smooth and probably start the primer tomorrow afternoon. Do the painting on thursday and it should look OK enough for when my family comes to look at it Friday.

Im debating what color I want to go with, im thinking an off white, but Im going to keep it bright.

you couldn't tell by the pics, but the panel was pretty rough. This townhouse was a rental before I got it. and yes the dark made the living room feel smaller than it is.

Im just starting on the living and will slowly replace all the stuff I dont like throughout the whole place. Good thing I didnt take pictures of the bedrooms upstairs, Green, pink and blue.

Sounds like a solid plan, nice quick pick-me-up for the room. That'll look really good with a bright color, maybe even that really faded pinkish thing they use in a lot of new construction, especially with good window treatments. What direction does that window face, by the way? Nice fireplace, too, btw, and a potential future project...

...though I'd start with repainting the rooms upstairs. The previous owners of my house had some...eccentric...tastes. One of the reasons I got them down lower, because it sat on the market with these awful colors throughout the house. They even repainted it right before I saw it. Just about the whole house, fresh coat of paint and a motivated seller was the perfect storm. But I understand, man...repainting takes priority.

And my bedroom was still awful. A combination of Seafoam and Baby-puke green.

Funny, in 2001 I had purchased my first house. I was doing work, much like you are, for the first time on the 4th of July. I can still remember painting the kitchen while fireworks were going off all around me.

Good luck, and have fun!

Oh I forgot to give you advice! := Imagine me missing an opportunity to type a lot!

Keep the windows open, and use a box fan when you're doing anything from painting to stripping to adhesives. The AC feels nice, but the fumes will sneak up on you.

And use this opportunity to buy every cool power tool you've wanted. If you end up doing the tiling, make sure you get a wet miter saw. Save the receipts cuz you'll get to deduct lots of things now that you're a homeowner!

(edited)
Wow congrats man!! Is it in a nice part of town??

thanks man! yea I decided to go with a townhouse in a nicer area, rather than a house in crackheadville.

What direction does that window face, by the way? Nice fireplace, too, btw, and a potential future project...

window is on the same wall as the door facing my parking spot.

I will have pictures for you guys tomorrow, my progress was alot slower than I expected because I decided also to paint all the trim white and finishing the drywall to perfection now entered my plan rather than leaving it half-arsed.

and I will defintely remeber the power tool thing cheif. So far Im having fun working on this place. I got big plans and slowly but surely will have it looking better. No major work, small cheap cosmetic stuff everywhere will bring this place out of 1984 into 2004. light fixtures.. etc....

Edited by NOFX

hahahahah ok guys... first I thought After Italy beat france they still had to play Germany for the world cup and now I am thinking it is 2004.

I guess tasting those lead based paint chips when removing it from the wall wasnt such a good idea.