Synthetic Oil?

Ice_Berge_00

(edited)

haha, i saw that post b4 u added the second part!!

email notifications for your loss!

no samples fo yoo!

edit part is b/c I make no sense most of the time.

Edited by ZesteR

Just to add in a bit about the whole "don't used synth on a high mileage motor" thing.

The only issue you *may* run into with this is oil leaks. Synthetics are smaller on a molecular level and as such they can get through the small wear spaces in gaskets and seals. I've talked to people who put it in a 300k mile car and a had no problems, and I know some that have put it in 100k mile cars and developed leaks(small, and usually a tired crank seal) within days.

I personally run Liqui-Moly ( http://www.liqui-moly.de/ ) in my Scirocco. It was reccomended to me by a lot of VW gurus. I like synthetic because of it's higher heat resistence, there's less chance of serious damage in the event of a massive leak and the motor running dry(before I manage to shut it off).

I've been using it in this motor since I rebuilt it (20k miles ago) and I've had no issues. I race the car often, and it get's driven quite hard most of the time as well as spending long periods at 4-5k rpm(road trips!).

HTH

-George

P.S. While on the subject of oils, I swear by RedLine Gear oil. Night and day difference from regular stuff, just make sure you get the right kind depending on the type of syncros in your tranny.

P.S. While on the subject of oils, I swear by RedLine Gear oil. Night and day difference from regular stuff, just make sure you get the right kind depending on the type of syncros in your tranny.

I'm not too familiar with RedLine Gear Oil. I will look into it. But I heard some good about it. Mostly from racing enthusiasts. This might be overkill for a daily driver's tranny. Unless you drive like 16 year old that just got his license and is trying to impress his friends. (no that's not how I got my 1st speeding ticket) :freak:

• 5 months later...

Basically firestone jacked an oil change from 32 to 40 over the past couple months. If i bring in my own oil, they said it would only be $15 to change. So i think, i'm going to start bringing my own oil in. Firestone uses Kendall, which has worked for the past couple years but my car is starting to get up on miles and i'm looking for something that will help her out. I'm going to move this to Chit-Chat to get a few more views/replys. I'll move it back to cars when the discussion is done.

I just go through valveline and get the durrmaxx or maxxlife whatever it is, i'm lazy, sometimes i'll change it myself sometimes i go through the oil change.. i put 3000 miles on my car a month so it gets expensive to have it changed that often :(

(edited)

I've got 15k miles on my 2003 Wrangler and I have been running synthetic since 4k miles. I have a 2005 Kawasaki Ninja that I also run with synthetic oil. Im about up for an oil change on my wrangler, its been 5k miles, I just took a look the other day and the oil still looks very clean.

It all depends what you plan on doing with your vehicle. I dont plan on ever selling my wrangler and I'd really like to have this thing 15 years from now. So if you plan on keeping your vehicle and not trading it in, go with synthetic from the get go. If you trade cars every 5 years, it won't really matter. synthetic helps you in the long run, not the short.

If you start using synthetic around 100k miles. Its basically useless. I saw a test using two 98 camery's. Exact same car, one is started with synthetic and the other with conventional. They took off the valve cover at 100k miles and there was a huge difference. The one running synthetic and little build up(if any) and looked very clean, while the one running conventional had alot of sludge/build up.

Edited by NOFX

Talk about resurrection of old posts....

I have 2006 Grand Prix GXP...it has the 303 hp V8 engine, and I think for a high performance engine like that it's important to go synthetic, so I am.

That being said, synthetic does hold up a LOT longer, and does run with less friction, which makes it a lot better for any engine.

Starting to use it at 100,000 miles is not exactly useless, but it wouldn't be as helpful as it would if you would have started from the beginning. So, in other words, it's worth it, it's not "snake-oil," and it does help the engine out. I wouldn't bother using a blend though...I used that for a while, but after doing some research the benefits seem to be fairly negligible because the regular oil cancels out some of the efficiency of the synthetic when blended together.

Since I started this whole thing, originally anyways, I thought I'd post up here an update on my truck.

I've been using this for about 4-5 months now, been through 2 oil changes and I have noticed the oil looks a bit cleaner when changing than it did with conventional. I didn't really see any difference in performance or engine sound but then I started this at 20K miles. I'll know better the difference when I get up to much higher mileages.

That said I think that it is worth it. One thing I've heard from many people is that don't keep switching for a long period. This makes it more likely to end up with oils leaks with the seals, but if you just switch a couple times this isn't an issue. That said you won't get any benefit from running it once and awhile, it's one of those things that the benefit is long term

• 2 months later...
(edited)

The type of oil you should be running depends on your climate and what kind of driving your going to be doing... The absolute best oils are from Amsoil, Rotella, Motul and Castrol... Honestly just making sure you change the oil and filter often enough is the most important thing you can do. Any difference in synthetic vs nonsynthetic is very small in an automobile. Just make sure you change it every 3k, that is the single most important thing you can do for your vehicle.

Also switching around won't cause leak, the oil itself can effect a leak though. If your running the standard 10w-40 and switched to something like a 15w-50 your consumption would go down. But changing oil type's and brand's will not cause a leak.

Sorry for the bump on an old post, was reading through and didn't realize, but i thought i would clear some things up non the less...

Edited by All Kill3r

Since I started this whole thing, originally anyways, I thought I'd post up here an update on my truck.

I've been using this for about 4-5 months now, been through 2 oil changes and I have noticed the oil looks a bit cleaner when changing than it did with conventional. I didn't really see any difference in performance or engine sound but then I started this at 20K miles. I'll know better the difference when I get up to much higher mileages.

That said I think that it is worth it. One thing I've heard from many people is that don't keep switching for a long period. This makes it more likely to end up with oils leaks with the seals, but if you just switch a couple times this isn't an issue. That said you won't get any benefit from running it once and awhile, it's one of those things that the benefit is long term

At the least, if you switch over to Amsoil.. you change your oil once a year.. that in itself is worth it.

Also, i agree with All Killer, you cannot receive leaks by switching to syn. oil. Just make sure to you use the suggested viscosity in your owner's manual.

Fair, unless you're thinking of running the car for another 100,000 km, I wouldn't bother...if you want to add just a bit to the life of the car though, it might be worth it

There is more advantages to changing. Long term, you'll pay less, change the oil less, and of course better life out of your vehicle. Your car will run smoother, also helps with gas mileage, and performance of internal parts.

I don't do it anymore. My reason? If you can go 20,000 miles without a oil change, there is no reason to go under your car for a peek.

Example: I decided not to change my oil for a while (my way of being mad at my car) and I didn't realize that my muffler was rusting. Since I live in Minnesota, once a muffler starts rusting you MUST treat it as soon as possible, since I didn't go under my car for a good 7,000 miles (oops) , my muffler fell off when I poked it with a screw driver.

Excuses...

I find other reasons to go under there. when you check ur tire pressure, sneak a peek. When you check your car's levels, sneak a peek.

You should have more time to examine your car. Since you won't be spending it on changing oil, you can focus on something else... maybe waxing it?

I use only fully sythetic in my new car. I like Penzoil myself, though Amsoil is reportedly (not just here) very very good.

I have a fairly high performance vehicle though, and the synthetic (according to a lot of research that I've done) has a pretty sizable advantage of the your regular oils--especially with my type of vehicle.

And holy poop, this post keeps getting revived