do u have a computer job?

shep48

I work with computers constantly. I work at a TWC Tier 3 RR and Digital Phone Rep. Basically when your RR goes down or phone service you go through lots of people then talk to me and i fix it. :) I enjoy the VOIP side of the job, a whole side of the business that I knew nothing about. All the FCC guidelines and rules are crazy.

I currently am taking classes towards my MIS degree, prolly about 4-5 classes away (working for a corporation is a plus when going to school, TWC is paying my school tuition and fees 100%.) I make about 20 bucks an hour, as soon as I get my degree it will get bumped up alot supposedly.

My job security is good I believe, TWC doesnt outsource at all and have never even had plans too. They also have a program that if your job is removed, they will find you another job in the company. If you have any other questions keep asking.

I work in IT for a publishing Company. Systems Administrator. since the company isnt that large, I am slightly underpaid. I have a lot of job security though... i got my fingers in every project that has gone on for the last 6 years... I have a 4 year MIS degree, with a minor in business... I have a bunch of 1 day certs... no MCSE or CCIE or anything though. The microsoft certs mean a lot less these days... most people with them dont have a lot of real world experience.

anything else?

I don't per se work in "computers" but...... I'm US recruiting manager for one of the 20 largest IT systems integrators in the world, (50,000 employees globally, $6.5bn annual revenue) we manage and operate all IT services for both the Summer and Winter Olympics for example.

We tend not to hire straight out of college into the business area that I work in (ERP Services which is for us predominantly SAP), and the majority of our employees actually have a business background within finance, plant management etc.

I think the average age is in the late 30s because they tend to have that business background before moving into IT.

We are starting to take on more junior/trainee consultants currently, generally people with 2-5 years experience in business, or perhaps with another consulting company, generally with mixed academic qualifications, a large number of MBAs.

Those who are coming in from other IT fields, tend to have degrees in Information systems etc.

Salaries across the company vary quite greatly, with those who work in our datacentre/support contracts or web development tending to be paid less than the systems integration consultants.

Averages are probably c. 70K for the datacentre/support roles, and anything bubbling around 100K for an experienced ERP consultant which will generally entail up to 80% travel (the juniors that we are looking at are from 60-80K depending on previous experience).

But just to highlight, none of these are "entry level" positions, any person we hire will most likely have a minimum of 2-3 years other experience they bring to the table.

Job security, well, it's consulting, things go down as well as they go up, I know that we made a few layoffs in 2001, although those were with people who would not accept a "salary readjustment to market conditions" (several of whom have now come back to work for us). But we've taken on 30 new full time staff this year within my group, and looking at the spreadsheet and business pipeline in front of me, probably another 30 before the end of January 2007.

Edited by Leveller

I am a software developer at a small company in St. Louis. I've worked for small and large companies (Avanade, a company controlled by Microsoft and Accenture). I only have an Associates Degree in Computer Programming from a Tech School (Vaterrott). The average for someone in my career with my skills is probably about $60-$65k a year.

Just to add, our main offices are Dallas, Houston, Cincinnati and Columbus if that helps put the salaries into perspective, they are very much Mid West. Obviously if you want to move to New York or LA, you're going to find they are somewhat higher.

I have a computer in my bay that i use from time to time, but mostly i am doing stuff in labs with circuits. I'm a junior in electrical engineering, and i plan to eventually get a master's degree. I make enough money to get through school debt free.

I have a computer in my bay that i use from time to time, but mostly i am doing stuff in labs with circuits. I'm a junior in electrical engineering, and i plan to eventually get a master's degree. I make enough money to get through school debt free.

I am going for electrical engineering too. I am just in my first year though, so I haven't gotten to do anything fun yet.

I work with computers, but in an environment i wasnt exactly trained for. I just have an associates in Computer Network Systems from ITT, basically worthless. But my hobbies were playing with Linux and such, so I had a background in *nix. Then i got a lead here at a local Ohio small cell phone provider as a switch tech, and landed this fine gig. Most of my time is troubleshooting T1's and opening Trouble Tickets with telco's and 'building' the new sites in the System as they are constructed out in the field. Everything is ran off of Solaris here, Nortel seems to love it.

Im also working on a VOIP project here that will be used to do all of our 800 traffic as well as roaming with other carries we have agreements with. Again this is cisco software running off of Solaris. Also we will be launching a new project for Push to Talk soon. Fun stuff and im having a blast.

Pay wise, its the most I ever made but its still pretty small as a career. Im entry level and started this gig not knowing anything, so im just paying my dues until I im worth the big bucks, im about $32K/yr right now.

Not exactly computers... but none the less very much related. I am a Field Engineer for a large company called CACI. I spend all of my time supporting a contract with DISA(Defense Information Systems Agency). We deliver access to their unclassified and classified networks. Basically any government or military agency uses one or both of these networks. I spend most of my time travelling locally in the MD, VA, DC area, but we have people all over the US. There are some nice perks to my job, working from a home office, visit our office maybe once every 6 months or so and actually see my boss. Get paid from the time I leave my doorstep till the time I get back home. Reimbursed for mileage, get per diem if I work for more than 12 hours in a day. Company pays for my cell phone and internet. Paid hourly, but guaranteed 40 hours a week even if I spend the whole week sitting at home watching TV(be surprised how often I do nothing and get paid for it!) As far as experience/degree etc. I am prior Army, spending 7 years doing satellite communications. So other than the training for the Army I have no formal degree. Need about another 8 classes to finish my bachelors though. Just too lazy/tired to bother at this point. I do hold a current Top Secret security clearance(which gets me into all the cool/interesting classified facilities). Been doing this for the last 4 years and could not imagine getting a real job with an office and such. Right now I am making about 70K a year, but could make more if I felt like really working.

I am currently working on my associates degree in computer science...have about 6 months left of college......I am tired of the physical labor and want to earn 3-4 times my salary now. My best frineds brother in law has the same degree I am getting and is making $125k a year....and has only been out of school for 4 years......and he actually likes his job......

I got my Bachlors in Computer Science May of 2005 and landed a job as a computer programmer for a defense contractor. At my office, we basically build the computer software that is installed on ships and subs. Radar, Sonar and Command and Control systems. We almost entirely deal with foreign navy's. So that means I have to do some traveling overseas.. Otherwise, I basically sit in front of a computer all day and write/modify/test alot of C++ code. I actually like my job.... and couldn't think of another job Id like to have rather than a pimp.

From what I hear Im underpaid for my profession, but don't really mind, I dont even 2 years of experience yet, plus my company really looks out for me. I make about 50k a year.

Edited by NOFX

:(

K, I guess am the poor guy around here. No wonder I still live with my parents *soon to be remedied*. Although I must move back into the ghetto of cleveland. Yes it exists... I have stories.

Personal responsibility rocks, too bad its so much work!

I work in IT for Abbott, a pharmaceutical/medical products company. My role changes every 8 months, but right now it's split between middleware (how diffferent databases/applications interface with one another) and datacenter services. I've got a bachelor's degree from NIU, but everyone I work with has a master's degree from some fancypants school (DePaul, Notre Dame, etc). Not sure how I snuck in here, but they haven't noticed for a year and a half. :) The pay is a little low for the industry - 50k, but it's still a nice salary. Also, there's ridiculously good job security. In huge corporations, it's next to impossible to get fired since no one knows what anyone else does. It's amazing how many slackers are here.

I am currently working on my associates degree in computer science...have about 6 months left of college......I am tired of the physical labor and want to earn 3-4 times my salary now. My best frineds brother in law has the same degree I am getting and is making $125k a year....and has only been out of school for 4 years......and he actually likes his job......

Your friend only has an AA in CS and is making 125k/year? That is very rare