What are some good "rate" settings.

It really just depends on your connection and computer...here is what I use..

rate 25000

cl_cmdrate 85

cl_updaterate 85

The way to find your sweet spot is to turn net_graph 3 on...then adjust your rates until your in and out numbers stay right about the same as your rates. Just setting them too high, like 100, doesnt help because then your pc is requesting more info than your network can handle. I had both numbers at 65 for awhile at it was good, then the cable company fixed some stuff and i was able to bump it up.

I tried the numbers higher..but i get choke whenever the rates cant consistantly stay maxed, i also cap my fps at 85...there is no reason to have it higher than your rates.

Hope this helps !

It really just depends on your connection and computer...here is what I use..

rate 25000

cl_cmdrate 85

cl_updaterate 85

The way to find your sweet spot is to turn net_graph 3 on...then adjust your rates until your in and out numbers stay right about the same as your rates. Just setting them too high, like 100, doesnt help because then your pc is requesting more info than your network can handle. I had both numbers at 65 for awhile at it was good, then the cable company fixed some stuff and i was able to bump it up.

I tried the numbers higher..but i get choke whenever the rates cant consistantly stay maxed, i also cap my fps at 85...there is no reason to have it higher than your rates.

Hope this helps !

Woah thanks Clueless. I always thought to just set my rates at what the server was at, but I never thought about my own network. Now I'll lower mine a bit because I had

rate 30000

cl_updaterate 100

cl_cmdrate 100

And I was always getting around 87 k/s and around 70 k/s.

I used to mess with rates and all that until I just started getting lazy about it, that and getting it perfect per server seems as easy as taming a lion. I leave mine at 30000, 100 and 100. Choke is there at 30 or so but only in crazy firefights for some reason. Oh well, I just leave it alone now. :spin2:

I used to mess with rates and all that until I just started getting lazy about it, that and getting it perfect per server seems as easy as taming a lion. I leave mine at 30000, 100 and 100. Choke is there at 30 or so but only in crazy firefights for some reason. Oh well, I just leave it alone now. :spin2:

You do know that even having a choke of 5 is bad right?

You do know that even having a choke of 5 is bad right?

Yeah but choke or no choke doesnt seem to affect my performance.

If I'm having a bad day then maybe I'll tinker with it, for the placebo affect and what not :spin2:

• 4 weeks later...

I would want to join this choke discussion.

I also seem to have choke quite frequently on this server. I tried to edit the CVARS and RATE settings but regardless of what I do the choke is still there.

The strange thing is that I never had this problem in the past only since the IPs for the servers changed this summer. I'm saying that there is a direct relationship - just guessing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the CHOKE is more of a symptom of a server side problem. (I do not have LOSS at all). Isn't CHOKE when the server is not able to handle the volume of data the clients want to process OR server is not able to service the clients at an appropriate speed?

Having 5 choke is not an issue but for me it goes up to the 30-40-50 range especially when the "situation" in the game gets complicated (e.g. lots of players, lots of shooting at the same time etc..) It is quite evident that when choke is high shot registration is not that good. I try to balance it out by buying P90 for example that has a lots of bullets to compensate this but I would still appreciate some help to fix it...

any idea?

thx

Loss, Choke, and Latency are highly dependent on your ISP and your connection to the server. By connection I mean the physical path that each packet takes from your computer to the server. You may experiance loss or choke for a couple of reasons. One, if you try to send more data than you connection is rated for from your ISP then you will experiance choke. Coke is defined by your ability to send information to the server and Loss is the ability of the server to send information to you. Two, (this applies for Choke, Loss and Latency) if along the phyisical path a router is overloaded or dies all together then this could dramatically impact your connection to the server. Most notably your latency. Latency is defined as the maximum time that is required for a packet to make a round trip from your computer to the server and then back again.

Hope this helps... :peace:

PS

Things change from day to day, so what were good rates one day may not be the best the next. Just play a few rounds and if you notice some choke or loss then lower you rates a bit.

To be honest I was expecting some more factual support on this.

Perhaps I put up my questions at the wrong place? Maybe I'll open a topic in the "trouble tickets" section.

My problem is that even if I perfectly understand the concepts of choke/loss and stuff I still have issues. (I copied the best explanation on these matters below if somebody is interested.)

The issue is that even if it is a coincidence in my case the "choke" is started to get high around the time when GC switched IPs for the servers - it might be a coincidence but new IP could mean a lot of things including a new network provider from the GC side, different machine, different server configuration, etc.

Trying to set-up the client side correctly not only depends on the network provider of the client but some server side factors too... right?

Like take these SERVER SIDE variables that might contribute to the client's performance:

sv_minrate <0-25000> Min bandwidth rate allowed on server. Default: 0 (unlimited)

sv_maxrate <0-25000> Max bandwidth rate allowed on server. Default: 0 (unlimited)

decalfrequency Amount of time in seconds a player can spray their decal. Default: 10

sv_maxupdaterate Maximum updates per second that the server will allow. Default: 60

sv_minupdaterate Minimum updates per second that the server will allow. Default: 10

Anyways. I'm going to keep adjusting my client side CVARS, however I would appreciate some input as if on the server side everything is the same as it was [before the IP change for example].

---------

Here is the client side "best" guideline for CVARS I found.

it is from www.nuclearfallout.net

I'm trying to follow these recommendations, but yet on GC servers (Chicago noscope mainly) I have trouble almost permanently now...

Q: How can I optimize my client settings (cvars) so gameplay is as smooth as possible?

A: There are three main settings to look at on the client-side. These are rate, cl_updaterate, and cl_cmdrate.

rate determines the speed, in bytes per second, that your client allows itself and the server to interact at. This setting is needed because your client has no idea how fast your connection is, and it doesn't know how to find out. The rate setting tells it the maximum speed at which it can transfer data. If it is set too high, your connection may not be able to handle it, and you will get packetloss; if it is set too low, choke and latency will increase, possibly making your game stutter or lag. Half-life is generally able to compensate for choke fairly well, as long as there is not much of it; however, when choke gets too high (over 100), it has to start dropping packets (and we all know how bad packetloss is!). I recommend a rate of 8000 or 10000, since most broadband connections can easily handle it (try 10000 first).

cl_updaterate determines how many updates per second the client will accept when it is interacting with the server. A higher value can make gameplay more smooth, although it often makes your ping appear higher due to the added latencies on both ends from extra calculations involved. I recommend a cl_updaterate of 40, which I have found balances ping and smoothness fairly well. Feel free to try higher and lower values. A value too high can cause choke if your machine or your connection can't handle all the packets; a high value can also make your ping look much higher than it should be. Some people blindly set this variable to 101 -- that would be an example of a too-high value.

cl_cmdrate determines how many commands your client sends to the server per second (such as moving, turning, jumping). I usually recommend that users set their cl_cmdrate cvar to the same value as cl_updaterate, because they are so similar. Too-high or too-low values (like 101) may lead to the infamous "shots not registering" problem and high values can also cause high in-game pings.

Edited by it3llig3nc3

hey IT,

before starting, i've read a lot into optimizing the server (and client) to minimize choke. there isn't much "credible" information out there, and what's out there is highly subjective and often scrutinized. there's even less official documentation out there. there's not more of a "factual response" here because there really aren't that many facts out there to be had.

some players around here (Laz, M2) have put a lot of time into the client side. M2 has a thread stuck somewhere in this forum, Laz has one in the west forum. check those for more client discussions.

here's what our pubs use:

sv_maxrate 30000

sv_minrate 10000

sv_maxupdaterate 100 or 120

sv_minupdaterate 20

i know these values were not changed out west when we moved from aim2game to NFO. i think there were a few changes to the midwest servers, but mainly setting a sv_minrate and sv_minupdaterate (they were 0 which is a known stuttering issue).

you're right, we did switch providers, but most providers are in the same building in the same NOC but with different peering partners. aim2game used mzima, NFO uses saavis and internap.

all that said, choke is NOT solely a server side issue. in fact, one of the more "credible" sources claims that "THE MAIN CAUSE OF BAD CHOKE IS A CLIENTS STEAM INTERNET CONNECTION SPEED BEING SET INCORRECTLY" (caps preserved for emphasis) which obviously implies a client side. then again, if the GSP's network is taking a nap, then all players will experience choke, and it will fall to the server side. last night there was a service disruption on a west coast peering point, and everyone on the server had issues. that's rarely the case, but it does happen.

so...if you're looking for advice to resolve your choke:

1. check your steam network settings. heck, i even had mine set to a 10mbit connection when i should have been 768k.

2. check m2 or laz's tweaking post to turn down client side vars.

3. keep tweaking your cl_cmdrate, cl_updaterate, and rate. rate is generally ok around 25000. i'd recommend starting at cl_cmdrate 100 and cl_updaterate 100 and work them down together, at steps of 5, until choke is minimized.

4. also run a tracert and post your results.

gl!

Thanks!

This helps a lot. So you're with NFO now :) I did not know that.

I'll keep trying as I said and you're right in saying that should this be a server side issue most probably every "client" would feel it.

I tend to agree that client side setup is a huge contributor to issues, however what makes me crazy that I have been trying a lot of things on my side - without tangible effects...

I did two passes to see if there is any significant anomaly... but nothing special.

1st PASS:

Tracing route to c-216-52-143-40.internap-chicago-2.nuclearfallout.net [216.52.143.40] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 8 ms 9 ms 10 ms 192.168.0.1

2 11 ms * 12 ms gw03.ym.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.90.17]

3 9 ms 10 ms 12 ms gw01.ym.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.93.5]

4 12 ms 10 ms 9 ms gw02.ym.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.80.210]

5 50 ms 56 ms 53 ms igw01.chfdrl.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.81.1]

6 37 ms 37 ms 37 ms p10-0.core01.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.10.33]

7 39 ms 39 ms 38 ms te3-1.mpd01.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.1.206]

8 39 ms 37 ms 37 ms v3488.mpd01.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.5.26]

9 37 ms 35 ms 36 ms savvis.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.10.246]

10 43 ms 40 ms 37 ms bpr1-ae2.ChicagoEquinix.savvis.net [208.175.9.134]

11 36 ms 36 ms 37 ms dcr2-so-4-3-0.Chicago.savvis.net [208.175.10.237]

12 36 ms 38 ms 36 ms acr2-so-0-0-0.chicago.savvis.net [208.172.3.82]

13 37 ms 36 ms 36 ms 208.172.10.202

14 44 ms 45 ms 44 ms border10.ge2-0-bbnet1.chi.pnap.net [216.52.128.14]

15 46 ms 35 ms 36 ms c-216-52-143-40.internap-chicago-2.nuclearfallout.net [216.52.143.40]

Trace complete.

2nd PASS:

Tracing route to c-216-52-143-40.internap-chicago-2.nuclearfallout.net [216.52.143.40]over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 11 ms 9 ms 11 ms 192.168.0.1

2 * 11 ms 9 ms gw03.ym.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.90.17]

3 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms gw01.ym.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.93.5]

4 10 ms 9 ms 10 ms gw02.ym.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.80.210]

5 52 ms 51 ms 52 ms igw01.chfdrl.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.81.1]

6 38 ms 37 ms 38 ms p10-0.core01.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.10.33]

7 38 ms 37 ms 37 ms te3-1.mpd01.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.1.206]

8 * 42 ms 37 ms v3488.mpd01.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.5.26]

9 37 ms 35 ms 36 ms savvis.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.10.246]

10 * * 37 ms bpr1-ae2.ChicagoEquinix.savvis.net [208.175.9.134]

11 36 ms 35 ms 36 ms dcr2-so-4-3-0.Chicago.savvis.net [208.175.10.237]

12 36 ms 37 ms 37 ms acr2-so-0-0-0.chicago.savvis.net [208.172.3.82]

13 37 ms 37 ms 36 ms 208.172.10.202

14 36 ms 37 ms 36 ms border10.ge2-0-bbnet1.chi.pnap.net [216.52.128.14]

15 36 ms 36 ms 36 ms c-216-52-143-40.internap-chicago-2.nuclearfallout.net [216.52.143.40]

Trace complete.

Edited by it3llig3nc3

I run 50/50 all the time and almost never notice choke. Double check what your rate is set at, a lot of people seem to get tenfold errors in that, and I think it sometimes defaults to 1500. I tried 100/100 tonight on Mayhem, and I could get choke spiking up towards 40 occasionally, usually moving around from 0..3, but back down at 50/50 I have nothing.

I use...

Rate 25000

cl_updaterate "48"

cl_cmdrate "77"

With that.. i get 0-5 choke in heavy firefights.

I used to use..

Rate 25000

cl_updaterate "50"

cl_cmdrate "50"

With 50/50 i got 0-10 choke running around.. and 10-30 choke in firefights.

I use...

cl_updaterate "48"

cl_cmdrate "77"

i knew you were weird, but dear lord! i always thought update/cmdrate needed to be near each other.

ratehacker :lol2:

I've kept them different before, but normally I have my updaterate higher since that's download and is normally faster, or at least for me.

I get 10+ choke whenever i push my updaterate above 50. So... i kept pushing my cmdrate up and that's what i got. I asked Laz for help with my rates and he gave me a huge explanation and that's what i came up with. :) If you ever see me look like i'm rate hacking or uber laggy... It's not because of my rates! It means i'm downloading a movie *or movies* using bittorrent. There's no rules against downloading movies and playing counter-strike at the same time so... :peace:

I get 10+ choke whenever i push my updaterate above 50. So... i kept pushing my cmdrate up and that's what i got. I asked Laz for help with my rates and he gave me a huge explanation and that's what i came up with. :) If you ever see me look like i'm rate hacking or uber laggy... It's not because of my rates! It means i'm downloading a movie *or movies* using bittorrent. There's no rules against downloading movies and playing counter-strike at the same time so... :peace:

Hacks! :erm:

Well according to Section 10, Article 5, Paragraph 2, Word 3 of the GC coalition rulebook.... "The" ... so ha! :D