How do you rate movies?

TheGeek

I was talking with friends and they hated the movie "Click" with adam sandler.

I asked them why they didn't like the movie, they said because it wasn't funny. They automatically expected the movie to be funny because adam sandler was in it.

This is how I rate movies. Go into the movie not expecting anything in return. (For example, I would not say this movie is going to have good graphics or this movie is going to be funny.)

When you do that you can look at the movie objectively and without a bias opinion.

So movies made by night shyamalan are really good movies. Even though people go see his movies expecting to be scared and end up disappointed.

So I was thinking, how does other people rate movies?

p.s. please don't move this to the movie section, I need a ton of feedback. It might be a basis for a short paper.

Edited by TheGeek

p.s. please don't move this to the movie section, I need a ton of feedback. It might be a basis for a short paper.

Do your own homework, ya goober! :P

Besides, how would you cite this?

Unclean. "How do you rate movies?". The Gamers Coalition. <http://www.gamrs.co> October 25, 2006.

And to answer your question, I rate movies based off the following (in this order):

Storyline

Acting

Special effects

(edited)

Do your own homework, ya goober! :P

Besides, how would you cite this?

I wouldnt cite this. I am just checking if there is even a basis for a paper because I don't have to make a paper.

Edited by TheGeek

When I'm watching a movie, if I feel the urge to start doing something else then it's a bad movie.

Basically the same for me... my mind shouldnt wander when Im seeing a movie for the first time.

The prestige was a great movie! Your mind wont wonder there.

I rate a movie based upon predictability

lots of movies these days throw me for a loop and I love it!

usually I can figure out the plot or at least how the scene will end or if it just drags out without explaining anything (no plot) grrrr those movies I can't stand

if its a visual entertainment smorgasboard then the plot can be or probably should be shallow for people to come in droves to see the movie ---any comic book character movie!?

most scifi adventure flics are the same save the earth kill the alien species ; horror flics group of kids left alone split up die one by one. any teenage flic same stupid stuff since the movie animal house

and I can't stand a movie that I have to take anti dementia pills for the camera work

a good movie should keep you laughing or emotionally engaged or scared or curious about how the story goes anything to keep me on the edge of my seat wondering what will happen next= good movie

if you saw a good movie you end up talking about it for a long time. then you watch it again and it's still feels good. Like The Departed, great movie. Me and my friends ended up citing many lines from it next few weeks. It was unpredictable also and when watching it you always crave to find out what's going to happen next. also, you don't really want the movie to end.

and I can't stand a movie that I have to take anti dementia pills for the camera work

Bourne Supremacy

if you saw a good movie you end up talking about it for a long time. then you watch it again and it's still feels good. Like The Departed, great movie. Me and my friends ended up citing many lines from it next few weeks. It was unpredictable also and when watching it you always crave to find out what's going to happen next. also, you don't really want the movie to end.

:( thats not playing in my area. If I want to watch it I have to drive at least 40 miles.

i basically put movies into 3 catagories: terrible, entertaining, and good

terrible: terrible acting/directing/editing/effects/plot

entertaining: a movie with a simple plot, but fun to watch and well directed. i dont expect oscar perfomances, BUT i do expect to be actors to be believable. this is a kind of movie that i can throw in while playing cards and drinking beer and still enjoy)

good: a rare movie that combines superb acting and directing (maybe 1 or 2 a year)

well... if the movie was supposed to be funny and it wasn't funny, then yes Im allowed to say I didnt like the movie because it wasnt funny.

I rate a movie on whether I liked it or not.