Changing careers

TheGeek

I'm in business administration right now but I'm beginning to hate it. Like really hate it.

I'm thinking to change it into some career field in computers. I need some advice.

I want a career that I can work with computers. I love diagnosing them. But I don't like cubicles. I can work in one, but prefer not to.

I am decent with math once I practice it. (B grades) But it doesn't come naturally.

What are some good computer related careers you guys can think of?

Sit in a cubicle for a couple years pounding keys. Getting to learn the alittle bit of business world. Then open your own consulting company. There is steady need for smaller business that can't afford full time IT to have a consultant take care of their monthly cleanup/trouble shooting.

you need to have credible (i.e. professional) references before you can score any food-providing consulting gigs. good ways to get those references is by offering to "optimize" things at friends of your family's office, or your neighbors' office, or someone that you somehow know that is in upper management somewhere.

if you don't have that option, do what maggie-poo said and suck it up under the flourescent lights for a while.

or be a flight attendant. :lol2:

Suck it up and deal with the job you have. Honestly, you don't have to enjoy your job - it is a fiction whose truth is reserved for a very small percent of society - it pays the bills, just enjoy the rest of life.

(Posted by a [bitter] 3rd year law student who is about to go to his long term job working at a hospital.)

To be a consultant, you almost always need experience in the field. I was Computer Science major, hated it.. switched to Information Systems(Business/IT) - was extremely lame and easy so I switched back to Computer Science and Im soooo thankful I made that choice 4 years ago.

I would highly recommend a computer science degree. With computer technology being so broad, a Computer Science degree with prepare you for almost all types of jobs.

I was a computer science major with a networking concentration. I didnt really like writing code/programming, but I had to learn it anyway. I've always worked with hardware and networks, but My goal was to be a System Administration or a Network Engineer. Im not sure why, but I always thought it was very interesting to design networks from the ground up, especially large ones.

Well, when it came down it and what I had on my resume I was able to land a job as an entry level programmer. After doing it for a little over a year and getting moved up to not entry level anymore, I actually enjoy it. I do have a cubicle I work at most of the time, but I also go back to the main systems room and work in the lab some and out in the field.

If you want to work with Computers, not matter what area.. A computer science degree is guaranteed to you ahead of anyone who's going for the same computer job without a CS degree.

... lol call-tech operator.

You have plenty of time to decide what your going to do. Maybe a internship. Your degree will not box you into one set of career paths. Relax and take classes that interests you.

There's tons of sites out there that talk about different careers http://www.collegegrad.com/career/careerfinder.shtml

Again you have plenty of time kiddo.

The Oxford English Dictionary says one's career is one's "course or progress through life (or a distinct portion of life)".

To be a consultant, you almost always need experience in the field. I was Computer Science major, hated it.. switched to Information Systems(Business/IT) - was extremely lame and easy so I switched back to Computer Science and Im soooo thankful I made that choice 4 years ago.

I would highly recommend a computer science degree. With computer technology being so broad, a Computer Science degree with prepare you for almost all types of jobs.

I was a computer science major with a networking concentration. I didnt really like writing code/programming, but I had to learn it anyway. I've always worked with hardware and networks, but My goal was to be a System Administration or a Network Engineer. Im not sure why, but I always thought it was very interesting to design networks from the ground up, especially large ones.

Well, when it came down it and what I had on my resume I was able to land a job as an entry level programmer. After doing it for a little over a year and getting moved up to not entry level anymore, I actually enjoy it. I do have a cubicle I work at most of the time, but I also go back to the main systems room and work in the lab some and out in the field.

If you want to work with Computers, not matter what area.. A computer science degree is guaranteed to you ahead of anyone who's going for the same computer job without a CS degree.

Thanks a ton nofx!

What type college do you take that from? A normal 4 year college? or a specialized 4 year?

Duma- My dad does what he loves and makes a really good living doing carpentry, my mom does what she loves and makes a good living in teaching and mortgage.

I am looking for a career that will make me happy. Working on computers and getting "shown up" by all of you guys on my knowledge on computers is fun. Because I learn something more and I get to apply it.

SJ- Do you need references to get into the program or the job?

Low-level programming, maybe for a machine shop or something.

Is that sarcasm?

No, low-level and high-level in programming are technical terms. Low-level programming would be getting towards CNC like VooDoo said. High level programming would be more towards databases and web services. Neither requires more skill than the other. The largest, most complicated programming probably is all around the middle, although I guess if you got involved in writing firmware and hardware drivers that would probably be pretty intense. I'd imagine that anything except very high and very low-level programming would put you into some sort of cubicle for quite a while, but I'm sure you could find non-cubicle gigs at any level.

(edited)

I haven't worked in a cubicle yet. Discom told me to try it once. Then judge it. I am looking for short internships right now. Hopefully I can narrow it down to 2.

and thanks for your help guys (and gal)

Edited by TheGeek

You have plenty of time to decide what your going to do.

I disagree with this comment. In order to graduate from college in 4 years, you should know what your major is coming into college, or during freshman year at the latest. I didn't decide on a major until the end of my Sophmore year and I now have to stay in college for an extra semester to make up for those extra gen ed classes that aren't in my field.

I'm currently a computer programmer, and I'm working my butt off to get OUT of the field by going to school for something else at night. I don't know what to say to this thread really.

Thanks.

I was thinking about being a programmer but I really don't see myself writing code for 8 or more hours a day. I want something that I can move around occasionally and solve problems. Networking is one of those. But I think its one of the lowest paying starting off.

Thanks a ton nofx!

What type college do you take that from? A normal 4 year college? or a specialized 4 year?

a four year degree from a University. Definitely recommend that over any tech school. You become more rounded and it shows employers your "educated" in other areas than just computers. Ive found out the tech colleges around here are a big rip off. I knew this kid who was paying double what I paid for a B.S, just to go to a tech school for 2 years..

He said it took his class a week to show them how to install Red Hat on a machine.

People pay big bucks to go to a Tech school and come out with an A+ certification, Network+ and CCNA.

heck, I got all three of those without taking any of the courses, only so it would look better on my resume.

Once you get your foot in the door in any decent tech job, you get exposed to other areas of the field that will help build your resume also. Im a programmer, but Ive done some network administraion, plus I know linux like the back of my hand now.

a four year degree from a University. Definitely recommend that over any tech school. You become more rounded and it shows employers your "educated" in other areas than just computers. Ive found out the tech colleges around here are a big rip off. I knew this kid who was paying double what I paid for a B.S, just to go to a tech school for 2 years..

He said it took his class a week to show them how to install Red Hat on a machine.

People pay big bucks to go to a Tech school and come out with an A+ certification, Network+ and CCNA.

heck, I got all three of those without taking any of the courses, only so it would look better on my resume.

Once you get your foot in the door in any decent tech job, you get exposed to other areas of the field that will help build your resume also. Im a programmer, but Ive done some network administraion, plus I know linux like the back of my hand now.

Your helping a ton! I am looking at college's right now, but what math classes did you have to take? I'm afraid that once I get into the higher math I'll freeze.