Windows Vista

ShadowDog

I will upgrade to Vista after SP1 and after DX10.1...That should be, what, early summer 2007? I've said it before and this is from an engineer as MS...it will be less headache for the "avg" user (read: not those ppl that have been using vista for 1 year already...ermmm Cujo). Since I don't have a TON of time to troubleshoot and reinstall and ghost and beg and plead and whine...I will give it the same amout of time before I make the switch...just Like I did with XP.

That said...

I really really really want DX10 for the new 8800 GTX I'm picking up in March. MMMMMMMMMM...march.

But, I can wait until UT2007 and those other eye candy games to drop the cash and do the vidcard, DX, and OS switch all at once.

don't plan to buy an 8800gtx in march. ati will have something faster in january and nvidia will have an answer by then. not only that, you won't see many dx10 games until mid 2007.

also, service packs never come out in the first year as they often include new, additional features such as major direct x version updates or firewalls, like xp's service packs included.

my advice, if you're not going to switch to vista right away to be on the cutting edge, is to switch only when something you want to do doesn't work with xp OR works better with vista.

i switched to xp right away from win98 se because it allowed me to go 6+ months without a re-install vs 98se which i had to re-install on a monthly basis.

Edited by Cujo

*spank spank goes the Cujo Stick...

Never is a long time happening bro.

I predict...that DX10.1 will be out in the first 4 mos after vista...I also predict that SP1 will be out long before a year from initial release...but then again..what do i know. (You can quote me on this...If I'm wrong about the SP1 coming out before 1 year after Vista's initial release, then I will pay for your room and registration at FF...call it a bet).

I am waiting until March to buy an 8800GTX because I like NVidia, prices will be lower, and I don't buy premier parts out of the gate for $600...So...IF there is something amazingly stomping offered from both camps in the next 3 mos. (doubt it) then maybe I will consider that, then. But I get a bonus in March, and IF the 8800GTX is around $400 by then, I will buy...If not, then I will wait.

Regardless...I'll get a DX10 card before I get Vista.

Edited by Tek-Almighty

apparently its a ram hog like mad, they recommend 1gb ram to run it but i hear to run it smoothly takes a terabyte of ram

It does use a lot. It looks like it's always using up a third of my gig. I need to save up for a major overhaul.

apparently its a ram hog like mad, they recommend 1gb ram to run it but i hear to run it smoothly takes a terabyte of ram

Do they make a mobo dimm adapter for that, or do you have to wait for that too?

Heh...

Really only reason that I will run Vista is that it comes with DX10 and that I can run 4+ GB ram dual channel without any weirdness...unlike the crappy 2 gb limit for xp that stops some (but not all) from using more than 2 gb...

the 2gb limit is not entirely xp's fault. vista 32 bit will have the same limitations. you will need vista 64 to get beyond the ram limitation. a 32 bit operating system can only address up to 4gb of ram TOTAL. this includes video card ram, cpu cache, hard drive cache, etc. so if you have 2x512mb vid cards in crossfire you'll only be able to see a maximum of 3gb. people that can only see 2gb total usually have some system limitation like a poorly written bios or a specific chipset problem.

besides, i know one person that needs more than 2gb of ram and he's nuts what he does with his computer. a high end gaming system will be fine with 2gb of system memory for at least the coming year.

Here's a list of how much RAM the various Windows versions and editions support (as of Nov 2004):

Windows NT 4.0: 4 GB

Windows 2000 Professional: 4 GB

Windows 2000 Standard Server: 4 GB

Windows 2000 Advanced Server: 8GB

Windows 2000 Datacenter Server: 32GB

Windows XP Professional: 4 GB

Windows Server 2003 Web Edition: 2 GB

Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition: 4 GB

Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition: 32 GB

Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition: 64 GB

Windows XP 64-bit supports 128 gigs of ram.

I'd like to see a computer with 128 gigs of ram.

• 2 weeks later...

Question:

After looking at prices of Vista, would i be an idiot if I did not purchase XP right now with an upgrade coupon for less money? I thought I read about vista being $$$$...

XP @ NCIX

Upgrade

Does this make sense to anyone else? Maybe I'm just reading wrong or something, but if the math is right it's cheaper to get XP now and get Vista later using the coupon (especially if you have free shipping with ncix).

Vista Business: $299 (USD?)

XP Pro: $176

save: $123

???

Edited by DarkArchon

ok. Well, i doubt I'll need ultimate to run games and general purposes.

Can anyone give me the definition/difference for OEM and retail? In laymen's terms ;) off the top of your head? thx!

Edit: I'm likeing the look of Home Premium better than Business. I dont care about encrypting everything to death. Heck, i dont have much on my pc that I'd be worried about losing anyway. Home premium has better media experience programs as far as I can see, so now i have to decide if i should get the xp now or wait and buy Home P. For me, ultimate looks like I'd be wasting my money...

Edited by DarkArchon

• 3 weeks later...
*spank spank goes the Cujo Stick...

Never is a long time happening bro.

I predict...that DX10.1 will be out in the first 4 mos after vista...I also predict that SP1 will be out long before a year from initial release...but then again..what do i know. (You can quote me on this...If I'm wrong about the SP1 coming out before 1 year after Vista's initial release, then I will pay for your room and registration at FF...call it a bet).

Oh Snap!

Here is a prediction from someone much more credible than me...

SP1 will be out later in 2007...

This was quoted form Slashdot.org...earlier today:

"Microsoft has granted, in a roundabout way, that Vista has 'high impact issues.' It has put out an email call for technical users to participate in testing Service Pack 1, due out later this year..."

Blam!...

So..we'll see Cujo...I owed you FF registration and room (2 nights, double occupancy)...

What you owe me if'n I win?

What really gets me about Vista are all the petty changes. Why move around all the display properties stuff? Why change up the start menu again? Why go through the trouble to add in new animations for file copying and the like, and then not use scalable graphics? This is 2007. Sticking ugly bitmaps all over the screen isn't gonna cut it anymore.

To play the latest and greatest computer games we will have to buy it. No directx 10 support for XP

After running Vista for a couple weeks now, great for application software, not gaming. UT runs good but with a big fps loss. I agree with the stress test on CSS. It went to crap with Vista. I took all my games off Vista and left them on XP. Been playing Rainbow Six Vegas lately and on vista with 1 gig of ram,---forget about it!! If you want to use Vista for a bit put it on a dual boot and just use it for apps, for now.

RB6V wants 1gig of ram just for that game and Vista is already using 1/2 of that just to run.

I do like some of the changes they made to it and some of the new little tweaks that come with it. My opinion, go with Ultimate and leave it at that. I mean if you want all the bells and whistles that it has to offer, and mind you some of them are really cool, then don't bother skimpin on the other versions.

ok. Well, i doubt I'll need ultimate to run games and general purposes.

Can anyone give me the definition/difference for OEM and retail? In laymen's terms ;) off the top of your head? thx!

If you buy Vista OEM, and you install it on your machine, it is ILLEGAL to install it on any other machine for any reason. It is permanently bound to that system (legally). Whether there is any way for MS to enforce this is debatable, but that's what it means. If you buy Vista RETAIL, you can install it on any computer, so long as it's only on one computer at a time.

Think of OEM Vista as a Vista license that comes with a brand new Dell PC. It's illegal for you to install that OS onto any other computer. It becomes a new computer when you get a new motherboard (although this could vary depending on manufacturer).

After running Vista for a couple weeks now, great for application software, not gaming. UT runs good but with a big fps loss. I agree with the stress test on CSS. It went to crap with Vista. I took all my games off Vista and left them on XP. Been playing Rainbow Six Vegas lately and on vista with 1 gig of ram,---forget about it!! If you want to use Vista for a bit put it on a dual boot and just use it for apps, for now.

RB6V wants 1gig of ram just for that game and Vista is already using 1/2 of that just to run.

I do like some of the changes they made to it and some of the new little tweaks that come with it. My opinion, go with Ultimate and leave it at that. I mean if you want all the bells and whistles that it has to offer, and mind you some of them are really cool, then don't bother skimpin on the other versions.

vista gaming requires 2gb. it's that simple.

i can't believe you're playing all those games with only 1gb even in xp. css for me passes 1gb on some maps. rb6 and graw go well passed 1gb as well. time to upgrade for you i think.

I just read a pamphlet on vista. And basic totally sucks.

I'm going to go with premium. Ultimate is not worth the extra bucks to me.

If you guys didn't know, here are some of the features. (most of these are not available for basic)

Parental locks - you can set a parental lock on the rating. AND set how long a user can be on that program per day OR PER WEEK!

Settings saving - say if you got 2 computers with vista on them. you don't want to set up your settings the same way on the other because it will take too much time... you can network the two computers together and share settings.

3D toggle windows - duh

Advanced business networking - ????

They revamped the whole my pictures and my videos

Cable TV ready to record and view. And you can tell other cable boxes around the house to display what you want wirelessly.

Built in Microsoft DVD burning software

SYSTEM RESTORE IS ONLY FOR ULTIMATE - BOOOOOOOO

Remote desktop made easy

Scheduling automatic backups

We had a Microsoft sales rep come in and preach to us.

I can get training on vista on microsoft.com and after I'm done I can get a % off the price on any version I want.

Plus my mom can get basic for $60 through her college.