360 and Wii Outsell PS3 in NOV

whudats

November was a tremendous month for gamers, and U.S. retail game sales were up 15 percent more than November 2005,.Gamers spent upwards of $804 million, according to recently released NPD sales figures. Game sales were led by Epic’s Gears of War (1 million), Final Fantasy XII (896,000), The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (412,000), and Guitar Hero II (356,000).

On the console side, the data reveals 197,000 PlayStation 3 consoles were sold, which is more than half of the promised 400,000 consoles Sony had plan to ship, which backs the news that Sony only shipped 200,000 consoles at launch. Nintendo more than doubled the PS3 numbers and sold 476,000 Wiis. However Microsoft came out on top selling through 511,000 Xbox 360 consoles. Portable sales over took even Microsoft’s console domination with Nintendo selling a whopping 918,000 Nintendo DS systems last month.

Analysts are skeptical that Sony will come close to selling their forecasted 1 million units in 2006. In a report from Bloomberg, Evan Wilson, an analyst at Pacific Crest Securities stated, “There's no way that Sony will make its forecast for 1 million units in the U.S. this calendar year. They will face supply constraints at least through March.''

Sony only shipped 200,000 at launch? I guess that's better than another delay...

I think the point is, Sony should of released more PS3's when they came out. Maybe they should of delayed the PS3 more because the supply is coming well short of the demand.

Edited by Demoner

obviously there is a shortage of ps3's not really a fair test imo

you can go to any electronics store and find a 360, and a Wii isnt that hard to come by either.

A Wii isnt hard to come by? I havent seen a single unit on a store shelf since release day. What stores have you seen them in?

(edited)
I think the point is, Sony should of released more PS3's when they came out. Maybe they should of delayed the PS3 more because the supply is coming well short of the demand.

Yes, this is the point. They could have delayed and sold more when they did launch, but another delay would have been even worse for Sony. They had already delayed how many times...?

Additionally, Sony is losing either $240 or $300 per PS3 sold, depending on which one you buy. They are taking a serious hit, and can't even make it up on the software sales like the console companies usually do.

I remember when the original Xbox came out, Microsoft was losing $80 per, but made up the difference in software...that and they have more cash than you can imagine...unlike Sony which is hurting...

Yeah, the point is, Sony launched with 200,000 fewer than they promised. They are losing a bunch on each, and they aren't expected to be able to produce enough to meet demand for 6-9 months (at least). Sony might be just a little too far behind to catch up to Microsoft.

I wonder how many, if any, buyers of 360s or Wiis bought them when they tried to get a PS3 and failed...?

Edited by whudats

obviously there is a shortage of ps3's not really a fair test imo

you can go to any electronics store and find a 360, and a Wii isnt that hard to come by either.

I was at EB games yesterday and saw 3 Wiii's on the shelf for $259. Must just be your area Yo. You should move.

Weird...In Georgia, you can't find a Wii to save your life unless you line up. They're sold out as soon as they come off the truck. PS3s, on the other hand, can live on the shelf for as much as two and a half days. I have walked past several, though I don't know which models they were.

I wonder how many, if any, buyers of 360s or Wiis bought them when they tried to get a PS3 and failed...?

I was at a Target where they had 10 Wiis and 2 PS3s (60 GB model). Out of 12 people in line, everyone was there for the Wii first (though several wanted both). The two people at the end decided they would take the PS3, since the Wiis were spoken for. I never expected people to get a PS3 because they couldn't get a Wii...I would have expected it the other way around a month ago.

I was at EB games yesterday and saw 3 Wiii's on the shelf for $259. Must just be your area Yo. You should move.

No need to move quite yet. I got mine on release day because im a big enough nerd to stand outside and wait at 5am. Still, I havent seen one in the Chicago area since that day.

you know... you can browse a AD at midnight at most retailers websites and see if the wii or ps3 is on the front page advertisement (or something). Sometimes stores will store a few so they has least have the stuff they are advertising on the front page.

Yep. I got word from a friend of a friend who works at at Target, but the ad works fine. Of course, around here you still have to be in line two hours before the store opens to get a Wii. I hear it's more like four at Best Buy, and one week I know for a fact the last person to get there arrived +/- 15 mins around 5 AM. I'm pretty sure this is the case all over the U.S., but just in case (and for those who hail from the frigid Northlands who may not be familiar) Best Buy opens at 10.

(and for those who hail from the frigid Northlands who may not be familiar) Best Buy opens at 10.

Oh I'm well aware what time bestbuy opens at ROFL

I was going to get my passport photos taken today when I walked by this kid with his mom and in his Future Shop (Best Buy's sister store up here) bag he had a wii...at which point I sprinted (literally) to the store to find out they only had 5 in today and that kid snagged the last one. There's an EB right down the street from there and on my walk home I saw a lady with a wii in an EB bag (they're still filling their preorders supposedly) and the thought crossed my mind...but I would probably run straight home to play it leading the authorities right to me...so I played COD3 for 3 hours straight instead...