My baby is dieing

Magruter

As some of you know my comp is limping (it's almost 5 years old). It runs everything fine but most games she's ready to give up on life. Frame rate is horrid andthings just aren't smooth... My recent home upgrade (couch, love seat, tables) was going to be my computer upgrade, but we know who where's the pants in this family. It's time to do a eco upgrade... I know nothing about recent changes of hardware, 6800 what is that a processor or video card... Can I get away with a $600 upgrade? I need processor, ram, video card, power supply, and maybe a new case...

For what it's worth, I've priced out several machines in the $500-$550 price range (without monitor) on Newegg with "growth potential". None were awesome by any stretch of the imagination, but all were better than my 3 year old machine. I'm sure someone who's familiar with the current state of hardware can help you out according to your budget. If nothing comes up, I'll be glad to send you some of my ideas when I get home from work tonight.

What is the average watts of a power supply people are using? currently i have a 350 watt and i know that's not going to cut it. 1 or 2 gigs of ram? My ram is pc2700 what's out there now? DDR466? Looks like most people are looking at pentium for processors, what's a mid-grade processor? Oh and i forgot i need a MOBO.. Which i have no clue what's out there... My ASUS has been a stud for 5 ears now, would like to stick with them.

Put detailed specs of your comp Mag, then we'll be able to help you out with possible upgrades.

Otherwise, we'll just have to make you a totally new system for $600, which is probably going to be kind of tight budget

Here's a pretty solid system that has room for upgrades in the future (all of this from Newegg):

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

ASUS P5B LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

EVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO Video Card - Retail

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory - Retail

Rosewill RD450-2-DB ATX V2.2 450W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CSA, TUV, FCC - Retail

Grand Total: $578.96

This doesn't include a case of course, but all those components are pretty solid. The PSU is not the most extravagant, but I have used a couple of those in other builds and they are solid enough until you're ready for a more major video card upgrade. The ones I have installed have been running with no problems at all for almost a year. That card is also going to be pretty good, especially for a middle of the road graphics setup. I have 2GB of that RAM in my own setup, no complaints. You may want to consider adding another GB at some point, but 1GB should be alright as long as you're running XP.

Hope this helped you some!

Edited by boilersax

Frys Electronics was selling 2.0 dual cores ?mobo combo for like 100 dollars. I dont know how good the mobo is but they were saying with a water cooled system they had it over clocked and stable at 4.0

that scares me.

Here are my specs. I really doubt there's any possibility of an upgrade...

Motherboard: ASUS P4S8X

http://usa.asus.com/mb/socket478/p4s8x/overview.htm

processor: P4 2.53ghz northwoods

Video card: rad 9600xt

sound card: Audigy 2

Ram: Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Unbuffered System Memory Model KVR333X64C25/512 - OEM

DVD-RW x4

DVD-RW x16

Floppy: cheap one

Hard Drive: WD (80 gig)

2nd: Hitachi 120gb

3rd 320 seagate 16mb buffer

Case: Antec

350w power supply

Monitor: 19" NEC

I don't get it, yesterday my computer was running like a champ! Not skips, jitters, etc... The day before i wanted to through it out the window! I run task manager and Steam is the only program running both times. I would like to keep it under $600, i'll use the same monitor. It's a beast but it runs.

I know that I built my computer with 1 gig, and will be adding a second later. Cujo doesn't like this, and says that I need two. However, I have seen 299 fps running at the lcd ssetting in source, so i'd agree 1 gig for now and add later.

Not sure but might get cujo's opinion on this for the 40 more dollars. It would put you slightly over though.

Radeon X1950XT 256MB

Edited by lostoften

I know that I built my computer with 1 gig, and will be adding a second later. Cujo doesn't like this, and says that I need two. However, I have seen 299 fps running at the lcd ssetting in source, so i'd agree 1 gig for now and add later.

Not sure but might get cujo's opinion on this for the 40 more dollars. It would put you slightly over though.

Radeon X1950XT 256MB

That's a nice vid card, but imo the price difference could go towards a new case if he in fact needs one. The difference in performance of the two cards probably isn't THAT huge, and they're both pretty solid for most dx9 apps. For his tax return in a year or so it would be an easier to swallow upgrade to a dx10 card ;)

Case Suggestion

This isn't the fanciest case by any means, and it would put you a little over the $600 budget, but I highly recommend it. Well designed, great air flow, and pretty sturdy. Built a comp for my office with this case, and working in it and putting all the parts in were great! If price is still a concern, you could save a little more by going cheaper on the video card or not getting a core 2 duo, but I think they are worth the little extra cost :D

*note: $10 rebate on it currently, but of the sucky mail-in variety

LOL bunny that is the craziest looking case I have ever seen. For me, I just want something low key that will hold all my stuff, have good air flow, and doesn't cost too much. Not like I'm hauling it around places to show it off. It's whats on the inside that really counts ;)

Edited by boilersax

Here's a pretty solid system that has room for upgrades in the future (all of this from Newegg):

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

EVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO Video Card - Retail

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory - Retail

Rosewill RD450-2-DB ATX V2.2 450W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CSA, TUV, FCC - Retail

This doesn't include a case of course, but all those components are pretty solid. The PSU is not the most extravagant, but I have used a couple of those in other builds and they are solid enough until you're ready for a more major video card upgrade. The ones I have installed have been running with no problems at all for almost a year. That card is also going to be pretty good, especially for a middle of the road graphics setup. I have 2GB of that RAM in my own setup, no complaints. You may want to consider adding another GB at some point, but 1GB should be alright as long as you're running XP.

For under $600 this is pretty good but....

I'd definitely recommend DDR2 memory that's 800Mhz not 667Mhz. For gaming it's a must, though again it's gonna bump the price some (maybe twice as much) and you should get 2 gigs as well. I don't know exact models that are good but Corsair XMS should be good.

On the case, I'd advise something from Thermaltake like Armor series or something, it's more expensive but very good cooling. I know Cujo has one and he recommends it.

That's a very cheap power supply and I wouldn't recommend it. I'd look for something over 500 Watts around $100 maybe.

The video card is decent, good for Source.

The mobo isn't bad either from what I know.

Proc should be good, especially if overclocked

:peace:

For under $600 this is pretty good but....

I'd definitely recommend DDR2 memory that's 800Mhz not 667Mhz. For gaming it's a must, though again it's gonna bump the price some (maybe twice as much) and you should get 2 gigs as well. I don't know exact models that are good but Corsair XMS should be good.

On the case, I'd advise something from Thermaltake like Armor series or something, it's more expensive but very good cooling. I know Cujo has one and he recommends it.

That's a very cheap power supply and I wouldn't recommend it. I'd look for something over 500 Watts around $100 maybe.

The video card is decent, good for Source.

The mobo isn't bad either from what I know.

Proc should be good, especially if overclocked

:peace:

I was thinking about everything you mentioned when I was putting together my recommendation, but unfortunately all that stuff would cost a lot more money than his budget allows. Fortunately though, there is room for upgrading down the road. 1GB should be alright for the time being. Source, etc. will do pretty well with that setup. As for the PSU, I know it's cheap, but it's functional, and it will get the job done until he is ready to do an upgrade of the graphics or something. I ran that PSU in my gaming PC for almost a year before giving it to my sister, and never once had a problem with it.

The case is purely preference. The case I mentioned is a great case and is highly reviewed, as are the thermaltakes I'm sure.

FYI, to upgrade to DDR2 800 (Crucial XMS) it's $40 more than the DDR2 667 mentioned before. If you think it will be worth it, then go for it! :D

Edited by boilersax