LOTR Online Open Beta

[LaW]Maverick

For some reason I have to wait until all the servers open as even PC gamer CD keys do not get the bonus of playing until April 6th. I would preorder but I don't know if I will buy LOTR: Online yet or not.

well, it's like I keep telling slaughter....

You can pre-order it at Gamestop, and if you don't like it you can go get you $5 back or put your $5 on something you know you're going to want at some point.

(it takes a minimum of $5 to reserve the game)

That's the beauty of it. And you do get some pretty good items for being a pre-order person, as well as a discounted rate.

well, it's like I keep telling slaughter....

You can pre-order it at Gamestop, and if you don't like it you can go get you $5 back or put your $5 on something you know you're going to want at some point.

(it takes a minimum of $5 to reserve the game)

That's the beauty of it. And you do get some pretty good items for being a pre-order person, as well as a discounted rate.

But as I still don't have my license it takes lots of bribing, favors, and other such things to get a ride as well as the fact that I live out in Chardon... it's well... you get the idea :)

I, for the longest time, refused to try games that had a monthly fee attatched to them.

That changed when I tryed WoW. Since picking it up last August, my monthly gameing

fee's have decreased, becasue I am no longer buying 1-2 games a month. Just the

$15 charge as opposed to $75+ for a game i get bored of in a week or so. Since then

I've been looking at MMORPG very differently. The only downside IMO is the addiction

factor.

Lots of free ones if you don't want to pay. Check out http://mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/gameId/0 to see a list of p2p and f2p MMO's.

I play Knight Online(one of the highest rated for its PVP) and Hero Online(open beta), which are two decent free ones. Knight Online gets server problems sometimes because they are growing so fast, but recently they have been increasing their Customer Service and trying harder to keep the game servers up and cheating down. Let me know if you start, we are building a clan right now of all clean players.

Sorry for all LoTR fans but if you're looking for a fun MMO that mirrors the depth of Middle-Earth I'd suggest that you don't try LoTR Online. While Maverick may have been playing it enough to see more positive qualities, I tried it last Friday and couldn't stand it. The characters look very strange... a mix between the cartoony look of WoW with something that I am not sure of. The first few levels were so agonizing and full of go and kill a large pig that I had to stop after that. The tutorial was clunky and the combat was slow...

While yes, LoTR Online has some elements that could redeem it, I decided not to pursue them... sorry Mav... but I'm done with LoTR: Online.

Meh, so far I find it a lot less repetative than WoW, and I like the fact that it has a centralized story that you follow through the entire game.

I disagree on the graphics...sorta. The character models need some work, but I don't think it has a cartoon-like WoW feel to it. The combat system is fairly similar to WoW, so I didn't think it felt slow, however, I feel (so far) that it take a little more thought to be truly effective--which is a good thing.

It has its problems, but that's what beta-tests are for. All-in-all, I already like it better than WoW. As far as sticking to the books, there have been some things bothering me here and there about that, but nothing so glaring that it's made me angry. For instance, all the weird claw-things around the town....I mean, they should have stuck to something a little less pre-packaged mmo-ish. That being said, they obviously wanted to save the Tolkien-ish creatures for the higher levels--which is somewhat understandable.

The only other thing that bugs me is that I'm fairly certain I saw a character throw a fireball, and that's just not LOTR, because how many wizards did you actually see in LOTR? 2? And there's just happen to be hundreds of them running around middle-earth all the sudden. Meh, that bugs me.

Those are my minor complaints, however, and with my experience with MMO's, this rates on par with the better ones. While the combat system and graphics aren't so spectacular that they set the game apart from every other MMO by themselves, the central plot is something I truly miss from FFXI (Final Fantasy XI).

On a side-note: if you've got the computer for it and can turn all of the graphics up all the way, they're actually pretty bloody good with an incredible draw-distance. The character models do need some work though.