Age of Conan

Unclean

I just stopped playing like an hour ago(I need to go to sleep)... The only thing that sucks is the PvP in a way, of course some of you will love it, but its pretty much free for all except for a few designated cities... I was owned a few times already by being ganked by people just camping out... I'm level 14 right now, and once I hit 19 or 20 I'm going to stay where I'm at(at 20 you leave and go to a completely different area) and just help you guys level around the area and complete quests... Although there is a single player part until you're 20 also, but there is not much to kill and it takes time. I'm an assassin so I could stealth around where you guys are killing to gain experience and if anyone tries to gank you guys I'll make sure they don't do it again...lol...

Maybe it won't be so bad later on, but I'll prolly make an Alt in a PvE server just in case I need a server to fall back on if the PvP gets to me... I think right now it sucks for me because I'm alone, I think once everyone is in it will be much better as a group.

And Jackie my computer is pretty powerful so it better be playable for me, but there are tons of options to turn things down, but with most everything on high I am getting between 50-70 fps...

That's good to hear. Assassin sounds fun. I love being a rogue in WoW and I'm going to try that out too.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

To answer you're first question... When you die you rez back to these portal type things and you can discover more as you move along the game, so if you're in an instance usually the first one will be at the start, but say you're far along into the instance and if you die you'll have to start from the beginning, but if you find new ones then those are the ones you will come back to life from...

Dying doesn't give any penalties until level 10 like most mmos, and you get like -2 attk or magic attk for everytime you die(and lose some experience), so those are stackable death penalties, but the cool thing is if you find you're tombstone(will be shown on the mini-map) those death penalties will be removed. Of course that is if you can defeat the thing that killed you in the first place, but I've found its really easy to do this, so its not so bad at all, except of course for the losing experience part.

And to answer the second... Gankers will be in every mmo PvP server, but I think seeing as we have a more "mature" audience it might be a bit better... I just saw a level 16 going around ganking some lower levels, but honestly I think it will be better than most mmos.

Everyone is friendly on the server I'm on, in general chat I've seen questions being asked and polite answers given, I've seen nice discussions going on about AoC in general, and just the atmosphere seems pretty great.

Of course there will always be the occasional ganker, but I say just "call" or "message" you're friends if you're having trouble and then gang up on him, and then he or she shouldn't be too much of a bother after that...

Edited by DragonFire

Not sure about the PvP penalties if another player kills you... I've only been killed twice by another player and didn't pay too much attention... Although thinking about it, I do not remember having to go find my tombstone and seeing the penalty you get when you are killed by a npc. So I am pretty sure you don't lose the experience either in PvP combat...

(edited)
DX10 version of the game isn't coming out until late August. :(

That sucks, I thought it was already out, the drop down menu for it in options shows DX10...lol...so I thought it was working, well it still looks very pretty trust me... But that will just be something to look forward to...

Anyway last night before I went to bed I made it to level 19 and could go to the main city and of course I did...I couldn't resist... Well it was huge, so huge I was there like an hour then realized I needed to go to bed and I still hadn't explored it all(keep in mind I was doing quests too). So that was just the city, I still hadn't gone outside the gates, but if thats where we will be spending some of our time, I'm pretty excited!

What sucks is tomorrow I am going to be gone later in the day, but will be back... I'm not sure the official time its opening up to everyone but I might not be around for it...

Don't forget about ventrilo guys! We are using Gamerscoalition's server:

Hostname: vent.gcftw.com

Port: 23447

I'll be in there when I am playing AoC, you guys better be too! :D

Edited by DragonFire

GC Alumni
(edited)

The game is going to go live on May 20, 9:00 a.m. PST just so everyone knows.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to play with you guys until the end of the week because that's when my new computer parts get here. I can't install it on my current one because my computer is being stupid and freezes every time I try to install it.

*edit again

I installed the game on my dad's computer so that's where I'm going to be playing it until my computer gets upgraded at the end of this week. I'll get vent and everything else installed as well.

Edited by JackieChan

Awesome Jackie sounds like a plan! That was nice of you're dad to let you use his computer until you get you'res together :) I will see you at noon eastern for me... But only for like an hour and a half then I'm leaving for a bit...

(edited)

Main server hopefully unless people don't like the PvP too much: Stormrage

And I've created a PvE character on the server: Wiccana

I've created a level 21 Assassin and level 10 Tempest of Set on Stormrage so far(I thought I'd create another character so I can hang out with you guys on the first Island until level 20...).

And the other server I just have a level 5...

Edited by DragonFire

GC Alumni
(edited)

UGH.

My situation couldn't possibly get any worse.

I get my pre-order code from EB Games the day after I order it. I enter it on their website to create my account and set up my subscription.

I get my game yesterday. I enter my authorization code in the website so I can get the 30 days.

For some reason, my subscription gets canceled and my account frozen.

Yay, just wasted fifty dollars. I sent a support e-mail to them, but it doesn't seem like I'll be getting a response any time soon.

*edit

Looks like this fits my description perfectly, although I entered my validation key BEFORE the servers are to go live:

http://www.yougamers.com/news/18814_age_of...live_in_the_us/

*edit again

Entered my validation key again. See you guys in game when I get off of work today at 5 PM CST.

Edited by JackieChan

Ya Unclean had the same problem Jackie, he did what some ppl on the forums did and it worked, hes playing the game pretty much now... I'm off to go do some work too Jackie, so when I get back hopefully you guys leveled a little(you can play single player up until level 20). And then we can go kill some mobs and level faster!

(edited)

I have no idea when I am getting this game now. I switched my Amazon shipping from Second-day to Next-day and the estimated arrival date went from the 22nd to the 27th...

Edit:

Well, I e-mailed them and they pretty much said when you edit the shipping method for your order it "reevaluates" their stock. So it said they didn't have any when I switched it. The customer service guy looked it up and he said my package should be shipped before the 27th, and should be shipped by the 22nd with free Next-Day air. So now it's looking like Friday.

Edited by VooDooPC

im ordering this tomorrow, from what i hear from friends the world freeforall pvp is kind of lineage2 style. Ill probably spend more time hitting random people i see and provoking fights, and less time levelling, so it should be a great time :D.

Is this a game that you pay a monthly fee to play? Some of those games look really cool and I would like to try them, but I REFUSE to pay 50 or 60 bucks for a game THEN pay money every month to play it.

I have never played a game like this...don't know if I would like it or not...the closest I have come is The Witcher...but I am told that is way different, but I loved that game.

(edited)
Is this a game that you pay a monthly fee to play? Some of those games look really cool and I would like to try them, but I REFUSE to pay 50 or 60 bucks for a game THEN pay money every month to play it.

I have never played a game like this...don't know if I would like it or not...the closest I have come is The Witcher...but I am told that is way different, but I loved that game.

I played The Witcher too, it was a great game just never finished it, too many games at once... AoC is a game where you pay 50 bucks for the game and then it is around 15 a month(unless you prepay ahead a few months then it can be cheaper). The reason why most mmos are like this is because they are always updating content and so the world is changing and the game lasts a very long time... I mean I'll prolly be playing this for a long time(I'm talking months, maybe even years) without ever really getting bored.

And also the fact that you are able to play with people from around the world or friends nearby is pretty cool too... Last night, Jackiechan, Unclean, Tynamite, Kainun, and I all had a blast together... Battles with alot of enemies looked so cool! It doesn't sound like you're type of thing though if you don't want to pay money every month, but I do have a buddy pass(7 days) that I believe will let you try out the game for a bit... Let me know if you want one and I'll send one to you, then you can decide for yourself if its worth it. I think this game is worth it so far and it hasn't even been out a week :)...

Edited by DragonFire

GC Alumni
(edited)

Yeah, I had a blast playing it last night. Not exactly what I imagined it would be, but it was still a lot of fun. The combat system is a nice touch, but I find myself button-mashing the 1-3 keys to attack, but I guess I can't complain. It's something new.

I'm at the point where I can't settle with one character. I want to try them all. I have an assassin and a tank class (who doesn't do a very good job at tanking...) and I'm probably going to look into a Ranger, healer, or mage later on.

Looking forward to another epic night of AoC.

Oh, and Dragonfire, I'd hold off on the buddy-passes because:

"Buddy keys will be activated on your account page once the first wave of paying customers has settled and we can let buddies come in.

First priority right now is a stable gaming service for paying customers."

I wonder how they're going to get the buddy pass thing implemented because the install itself is like 25 gigs (I'm guessing two dual-layer DVDs). Probably going to count on sending the game to each other through the mail or something.

Edited by JackieChan

Lol thanks Jackie did not realize that... Umm well Clue when all is settled I'll send the buddy pass to ya, as long as you don't mind downloading 25 gigs or pay shipping to send the game back and forth, just make sure you will play the game, because I want someone to actually use my buddy pass :)

Thanks for the generous offer :) I will do some reading on the game to make sure it is something I will be interested in before I accept your pass...I dont want to waste it anymore than you do :)

Oh yeah, Dragonfire, this might be the reason why we saw Level 60s in the player finder window:

At least the game is providing constant amusement even when you can't log in - in addition to these funny bits, there is a word going around that some major exploits are also making rounds involving item duplication and greatly accelerated leveling by abusing a very easy quest that is infinitely re-doable.

I've gotta find me that quest...

...Unless they're patching it.

(edited)

Haha, nah I wouldn't want to level that fast anyway, takes out the fun of the game, and I hope they do patch it, cuz the only ones who would usually use it are the gankers who just want to be higher than everyone so they can defeat everyone... Doing the same thing over and over like that wouldn't be that much fun for me, if I'm leveling I at least want to do different quests :)

And by the way this AoC discussion is a hot one!

Actually maybe it should have its own subtopic.. *hint *hint

Edited by DragonFire