Need your help

TheGeek

I can get these for 189.00

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/544799678

But I'm not sure if I should. At Target some display models (that have never been used) got marked down a while ago, and marked down some more, and today SOME MORE.

They were $500 but now I can get them for $189.00

What do you guys think? I know its an awesome deal, but I'm not going to buy them because they are a good deal. I need honest opinions on this.

The speakers are Audio Pro AllRoom designer series. They are a glossy red color (which i will turn black) and come with no cords or amplifier or receiver.

Ive never heard of this brand.

If this is for your TV, Id get something better.

My brother paid about $1,000 for the setup (JBL speakers&Sub. Yamaha amp) in my basement and I LOVE it. I think for surround sound, its worth shelling out the big bucks.

By the way, cables cost kind of a lot, so don't think $189 is the FINAL price.

(edited)

These are going to be used in a living room. I didn't go with those speakers, I went with KEF brand speakers. I payed 160 for it.

http://www.amazon.com/KHT-1005-Theater-Spe...r/dp/B000931GQK

They are okay, its for my family so we're not looking for anything superb. It has a crossover and amp built into the sub that can be used for 2 speakers. We are planning to get a receiver with 400-500w while using the crossover to split the low end and the high end.

I think its going to be an awesome set for a grand total of $360. The other good thing, I'm only paying for half! My dad wanted to get a decent sound system too and I talked him into paying the other half.

One problem is that the sub cone has a dent, not a problem because I'm pretty sure it wasn't high quality anyways. Ill just replace it, Ive done it before.

Does anybody know how to remove a dent? lol

p.s. yomamma, it didn't come with any wires. Just the speakers, woofer, and cheapie plastic mounts.

Edited by TheGeek

Is the sub not enclosed?

Basically a dent in the cone is not fixable, needs to be replaced...although depending on how dented it is you might not even notice a difference.

I'm sure your fam will really enjoy the system. It might not blow your socks off but it sounds like no one really wants it to get that loud so I think you're good.

My Sony satellites and 450w sub along with my pioneer 750w amp could level my whole apartment if i turn it up too high...

I got 35 dollars off the price because of that. I think I can spend around 45 for a decent sub to replace it. I think its a 6" or a 7", so it wont be that expensive.

I'm going to pick up some speaker wire at target, its 50% off for a 25 foot spindle. I'm going to get 1 or 3.

Does anybody have a good site to buy a receiver?

Does anybody have a good site to buy a receiver?

Good or cheap?

I ask because I don't think you should go cheap on a receiver. With surround sound, you tend to get what you pay for. Like I said above, I have a Yamaha and love it.

I'm looking for a pioneer, yamaha, harmon carmon, or sony. And about 200-500 watts. max wattage in these speakers is 100 watts, and the sub has its own amp, so 500 would be the max.

any websites?

Good call on both Maggie.

I picked up an open box Onkyo TXSR503 for $120 from Fry's and I love it.

You could also buy a refurbed reciever from Onkyo, I wouldnt worry about it.

I got Infinity speakers from Circuit City when they were dumping the label for about what you can find them for at Vanns. I love them...I am not an audiophile, so to me they completely rock.

Reciever and speakers for about $700 is a pretty hott deal, my only nice® piece is my BIC H100, which will shake the paintings off the walls.

I second the emotion...notion...er, motion....get as nice a reciever as you can, and then build slowly from there.

Home theater systems can be easily broken down into 3 levels of quality which very nicely reflect similar price lines. Consumer>Custom>Pro

Basically you can buy the top of the line consumer based home theater system and still not get that pro quality sound or at least never reach the level of output required in your home.

What does this mean? It means I wouldn't spend a whole lot of dough on "top of the line" equipment. I would actually recommend you find a low end Pioneer/Yamaha/Onkyo receiver. It's still going to put out more than enough wattage to blow your front windows out and not break the bank. I spent $250 after an instant rebate on my Pioneer receiver and it would blow the roof off of my old house no problem.

As an note, professional home theater systems generally start at $100,000 (we are talking movie theater sound) and can reach $10,000,000 in a blink of an eye.

So what I'm saying is don't worry about cheaping out on a receiver as long as it's one of the big three mentioned (Pioneer/Yamaha/Onkyo). I would steer clear of Sony and Harman Cardon as Sony's are usually just an exact duplicate of a Yamaha in a different box and the Harman Cardons only start to sound worth it once you've blown past $1000 and even then you can get a ridiculous Yamaha for that.

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm going to look in a pawn shop with my dad this weekend and see what turns up. He said that they have ones for $100, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Studders, I will never buy speakers that have an unknown hz range, max db, and watts. Which bose decides to not tell anyone.

I think I'm going to buy either from best buy, a garage sale if I'm lucky (people where i live throw out expensive equipment when they upgrade, lucky for me :) ), or from a pawn shop.

Hmmm I know less about receivers than I thought. I forgot about ohms when I tried hooking my speakers up to my brothers 4ohm receiver. OOPS! almost blew out his system.

He turned off the system after he asked how many ohms the speakers had and called me a moron. >_<

When looking at the back of the receivers on best buy, I can see 5 places to hook up speakers for a 5.1 system, but I cant see anywhere to hook the sub into. Why cant I see it?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1171057791920