Microsofts new cutting edge product

Playaa

How is this different from a current day touch screen?

Probably just more advanced really. While Bill Gates Microsoft is quick to exaggerate its potential, this device looks pretty cool imo. I really think that not only a touch screen computer, but an entire surface would be really cool.

It's like the smart board, but better!

Looks pretty shnazzy, but I dont think I would want one at home... a restaurant on the other hand would be sweet.

I believe that's where they're rolling them out first, or at least in similar locations. I hear there are plans for Westins and some other places (where, I don't recall, it's in the video).

I wonder how much something like that will cost.

$5,000 - $10,000, according to an article I saw. These are very early numbers, though.

How is this different from a current day touch screen?

Very. First, it seems to parallel the research of Jeff Han (in fact, he's featured in the video), which works with "Frustrated Total Internal Reflectance". Or, in English, how light going through a material behaves when the material bends. Check it out in the video, and get a better behind the scenes look at:

http://cs.nyu.edu/~jhan/

Second, because of how different the sensing engine is, it is a multi-touch screen. That is, you can use two fingers to perform commands such as resizing and rotating (pictures, videos, etc.). Also worth pointing out is that it appears the intention is for multiple users to be able to touch the screen at the same time.

If you're just asking how is it different than touching any other screen, then besides the multi-touch, potential multi-user capability that's basically what it is, but in a new format: A large piece of furniture around which people can gather (formally or casually). It's like asking how a Wii is different from a "last-gen" system: It's a new way of interacting, and it's not for everyone or every purpose.

At the very least, the difference is huge...This one costs $5,000 - $10,000.

"Ours goes to 11."

Edited by appalachian_fox

yeah I don't think it's going to make a huge splash in the market immediately...but yesterday I was showing a coworker this video and literally every comment he made was something that could have been applied to the first PC. So basically, this is the introduction of a new technology/way of interacting with technology that I see as very likely being the future of how we deal with PCs.

I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that this technology will appear everywhere within the next 20 years. I don't see it so much as "what uses are there" as "how economic is it" affecting its incorporation into our daily lives. I think just because it is an intuitive media that its implementation into modern society is inevitable unless another similar technology comes around that makes it unnecessary.

On that note I used to love the tables in bars that had pac-man and other arcade games in them...I can't wait for these things to start appearing in similar establishments! Imagine being able to surf youtube while at the bar...being able to share internet experiences in social environments is the next big thing!

It's cool, and has its places. It'll have applications in vertical spaces, too, if there's enough space to put one or they can refine the process to miniaturize it enough (maybe with some mirrors/lenses?). I'm not saying it'll be thin enough to replace LCDs everywhere, but there's lots of spaces with enough room for something like this, like that CityWall thing. Interactive theme park maps would be cool. I imagine Disney having these all over with Tinkerbell constantly buzzing around while you're trying to work.

Perhaps some things are better left undone...