Soundcard?

What do you use for sound?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

back in the day when I was into gaming alot. I remember seeing a decent improvement in Frame rate/smoothness when I moved from onboard sound to a sound card. like ZD said, onboard == cpu usage

huh. i did not know that... could u guyz ballpark the fps increase foe me?

It depends. With dual core cpus and what not these days, probably not much if any depending on the game. Best to go by percentage. I usually see a 5-10% loss in fps depending on the game and the type of onboard sound.

BTW Mags, do not worry about a sound card. I found my old Sound Blaster Audigy. I put it in the packaging. It will be sent out tomorrow with UPS pickup.

X-Fi Platinum (use optical for surround sound, or just the regular for headphones). Love it, especially the... front part that fits where the drives go on teh front of the pc,... cant remember the name atm, long day.

I use integrated sound. Mostly I work off a laptop these days anyway, but even on desktops I'd rather save the $10 or whatever a sound card costs and honestly my eyes and ears aren't that discerning. I could see the rationale if I were building a beefy machine for a specific purpose (gaming, for example) and wanted the bragging rights of the extra few frames, but that's just not the market I sit in.

Of course, the other side of that is most gamers would cringe at my setup and that's probably part of the reason I am so bad.

X-Fi Xtreme Music. I was too poor for one with a fancy front panel or a remote. I still like it a lot though.

That's the one I have too. Love it. You will hear more in the game, and from farther away. If you can hear more, you've got an advantage over people with integrated sound.

(edited)

I've got an old Audigy 2 Platinum that's on it's 3rd computer, Love it. Would probably love an Audigy X-Fi Fatality or something, but since those cards are pricey, and this one is paid for, I love this one more, lol.

Edited by Wolfsblood