Harry Potter

Tristan

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
*cough* publicity act *cough*

edit - who would win in a fight, dumbledore or gandalf???

Gandalf....you even have to ask? What's wrong with you!?

Edit: Allanon, though you may think the books are overrated, you have to give Rowling credit where credit is due. She was living in a car when she wrote the first book, and eating off welfare. I think the books are slightly misunderstood, but definitely not overrated. I'm speaking as a guy with a degree in English, and those books are some of the best written pieces that I've ever read. No offense, but Harry Potter is MUCH better written (speaking from a technical stand-point and omitting what the stores are actually about) than the Shannara books. Don't get me wrong, I like the Shannara (am I spelling that right? I'm too lazy to check) books quite a bit, but Rowling's a better writer. She's REALLY good. Don't believe me? Read the first book, then read the last book. Skip everything in-between, then notice the contrast in writing styles.

Why the contrast? Simple, the writing matures, changes, and runs perfectly parallel with Harry. As he gets older, the writing matures, as he learns new things, the writing changes ever-so-slightly to encompass the feel that he is smarter. I could go on, but it's just one example. This change is so subtle over the course of the series that most people don't notice it. I had to read the 4th book for a class...I got part of the way through it, then decided to read the whole series, and started over with book 1. That's when I noticed the change in the writing style.

Also, a huge misconception: Rowling never really intended the books to be children's books.

Edited by [LaW]Maverick

i dunno mav.. dumbledores pretty cat, i'm gonna say he could take gandalf the grey but gandalf the white might just be too sweet

i was also a harry potter hater till about 2 months ago when i finished lord of the rings and decided to join the bandwagon, havnt been able to put them down since, and i have noticed too how the writing gradually becomes more mature as the books progress

i dunno mav.. dumbledores pretty cat, i'm gonna say he could take gandalf the grey but gandalf the white might just be too sweet

i was also a harry potter hater till about 2 months ago when i finished lord of the rings and decided to join the bandwagon, havnt been able to put them down since, and i have noticed too how the writing gradually becomes more mature as the books progress

Bottom line: Gandalf is so powerful he doesn't need to flaunt it like Dumbledor :-). He takes down a Balrog while falling...I mean come on. :-)

This is where we disagree it seems Mav.

While I may not have read 5 or 6, I simply don't think her writing style is that great. Sure the books are fun to read, but I was looking forward to the second book in the Armageddon's Children series then the last Harry Potter book. Also, tbh I think that when writing fantasy, the ability to create and add to your own lore is why fantasy authors are so good and creative. J.K. Rowling, at least IMO did not create a world of her own, all she did was add magical creatures to our own, Terry Brooks took Earth and changed it after the Great Wars.

On a non serious side, how are wizards in Harry Potter cool at all? I mean they use wands... srsly :P