Mouse Opinions

boiler

I'm thinking about getting a nice gaming-grade mouse. I've never owned one, with the best mouse I've used to date being a logitech MX310.

Since I sold my gaming computer, I'm left with my laptop which, while capable of running the games fine, has left me with only my bluetooth wireless mouse. Fine for web and low-end design stuff, but major crappage for games.

I'm looking at a Logitech MX518 for $40 with free shipping on newegg right now. My criteria:

1. I'm not at all opposed to wired mice - don't need wireless convenience when gaming.

2. I don't want to spend over $50 on it.

3. It needs to be durable enough to last a while. I don't want the thing turning to crap after a year.

Suggestions? I know a lot of people like the MX518, but I wanted to get some other opinions before I jump on anything. Thanks guys!

I'm thinking about getting a nice gaming-grade mouse. I've never owned one, with the best mouse I've used to date being a logitech MX310.

Since I sold my gaming computer, I'm left with my laptop which, while capable of running the games fine, has left me with only my bluetooth wireless mouse. Fine for web and low-end design stuff, but major crappage for games.

I'm looking at a Logitech MX518 for $40 with free shipping on newegg right now. My criteria:

1. I'm not at all opposed to wired mice - don't need wireless convenience when gaming.

2. I don't want to spend over $50 on it.

3. It needs to be durable enough to last a while. I don't want the thing turning to crap after a year.

Suggestions? I know a lot of people like the MX518, but I wanted to get some other opinions before I jump on anything. Thanks guys!

1. You don't want to play FPS with a wireless mouse, ever.

2. You don't need 30000000 dpi, some people like it, but it's far and away too excessive

3. I use the mx518, and I'm a huge fan

I use a wireless mouse, and i can pwn tookey... ...So don't listen to him. :wub: If you want wireless do it. I love my G7 i've had it for just under a year, batteries still hold a strong charge (2 of them)

Here's a 518 for $34http://www.eaglebit.com/ProductDetails.asp...2&Click=627

any brief period you aren't using your mouse, it needs to reset its signal with the base. This is to conserve energy over using a constant signal. Admittedly, the delay caused by this is minimal, but you'll notice it when you put your mouse down for a sec and have to get back to fragging. You dont have this problem, or any other wireless delay people have noticed with usb. I also had a huge problem with my desk being kind of cluttered and the placement of my base station when I used an mx1000. It was advertised as the same signal speed as usb, but I still like the mx518 better.

I know a lot of people who've had issues with Razer mice, however, I have a Diamondback that I've used for just over 2 years without any kind of mouse issues (I did have a tiny problem but that turned out to be the USB2 port dieing, not the mouse) and I still love it.

Edit: I think the Diamondback 3G is about $50 direct from Razer, I've also recently picked up a Razer Tarantula Keyboard, and I'm equally impressed with that.

Edited by Leveller

(edited)
I'm a logitech guy, but I know some people like Razer - thoughts on those? I know some people think they're crap and some people swear by them. :shrug03:

I don't use one because I don't like the feel. Also they started the entire dpi wars escapade, and thereby needlessly increased prices of mice. A lot of people I play with noticed that the copperhead and g5 both skip enough to be noticeable, therefore i'd recommend deciding between the diamondback and mx518. Also the g5 lost a button :(.

Check this out

http://www.nytejade.com/category/18/blogid/4

edit: you can also save the money you would've spent on a newer mouse, and get a steelpad 5L

Edited by tookey

edit: you can also save the money you would've spent on a newer mouse, and get a steelpad 5L

rofl, a $40 mouse pad.... not quite what I had in mind :freak3:

Think I'm leaning towards the 518 - I also do a good amount of design work, photoshopping, etc. and would appreciate the accuracy and ergonomics the 518 offers.

(edited)
I'm a logitech guy, but I know some people like Razer - thoughts on those? I know some people think they're crap and some people swear by them. :shrug03:

I've owned a Razer Diamondback and a Logitech 310. The LG was nice b/c if formed to my hand. The razer was a much longer mouse that required longer fingers, IMHO. I did not like it, and sold it on ebay and got a G7, which I love!

My bro has a G5, which I use when I'm on his computer. I hate hate hate wired mice. I cannot tell u how many times my aim was messed up b/c the wire was caught on something. but the actual mouse is awesome. I always use the "on the fly" DPI change while playing BF2142.

The G7 should have dropped in prices now that a G9 has come out.

I do enjoy the G7s two battery packs with charger. I used it last FF and only had to charge twice all weekend. I think it takes about 2 hours to charge a battery, but it takes more than 2 hours of gaming to kill a battery.

Edited by ZesteR

I went from a Logi 510 to the G7 and am now on the Razer Copperhead and I will never look back. The G7 is a waste imo as it would skip quite often and well, as good as the wireless worked it eventually bit the dust and wouldn't stay connected for more than 5 minutes (after 8 months of use).

I personally didn't like the feel to the Razer mice at first but once I got used to it every other mouse feels silly. I have never noticed any skipping whatsoever with it (I am also convinced it made me better once I was comfortable with it).

Also, the razers send/receive at 1000hz compared with the 150hz of other lazer mice (G7) with a 1ms latency which I found makes the mouse much more responsive than any logi I've ever used. I also like the fact I don't even need to have the mouse on my mouse surface, I can hover half an inch of the surface and still have full control, not that it really makes a difference or is advantageous but still cool.

the new g5 has the second side button back. if it's not less than 50 go with the 518. if you can find the new g5 for less than 50 then you won't be sorry.

take note of those who've commented on here recommending their own mouse. who do you get fragged by the most??? :D

lol I haven't played CS in too long for you to have fragged me the most, mags :D

I really want to order something today though - I haven't been able to do any FPS gaming on my laptop with this silly bluetooth thing.

I can't find the G5 v2 for less than $60. I would consider swinging it because I do want to do this right, but I'm gonna need a pretty good reason to pay the $20 price premium over the MX518.

I must say for style points, the MX518 is beating the G5 v2. What the heck is with the blue spider web dealio?

To be quite honest, with the mice I've been gaming with to date, most everyone frags me equally well because I know they've got to be using better mice than my MX310 (and el-cheapo $20 logitech special before that)

So, 518 or G5. Someone give me a good reason to spend $20 more on the G5, and I'll buy today. :D

argh, my mouse thread is getting pwned by the exploding PC/MAC debate <_<

actually, after I saw mo's post, I was gonna say that the Razer is just the Mac of the mouse world. It's beautiful, perfectly functional but "different" enough that most people won't give it the chance it deserves.

:P

I respectfully disagree on the beautiful part about the Razers, but hey, personal preference, right?

Anyways, any good reason why I should spend $20 more for the G5 instead of getting the MX518?

I have a G7 and a G5...

I use the G7 with my laptop, and the G5 on my desktop...

Honestly, I like the G5 better because I can make it nice and heavy. Neither mouse has EVER skipped on me, and I have had the G7 for about a year and it still holds a strong charge, has absolutely no discernable delay vs the G5 which is wired USB, and works wonderfully. On the fly dpi is sweet, though I'm one of those weird people that love a sick dpi.

the 518 is sweet, but in my opinion you can't beat laser, and the 518 is optical.

Edit: I don't like the Razer mice because of their shape. They do not fit my hand comfortably at all, and Slaughter had one go bad after a while. For the most part, though, I've heard they are good mice. I just really hate the way they feel. They're really long and awkward. I have a set of Razer headphones that kick major butt though....

Edited by [LaW]Maverick

the razers are worth giving a shot if you haven't tried..

i went from a 510 to a diamondback to my current copperhead and can't imagine going back

also check out www.ratpadz.com .. a little different surface at first but gets the job done

Before you buy a razer, go to a store that has one and feel it in your hand. I agree about the new g5 look, not a big fan. Though, the old one didnt look super hot either. But I love how it handles, and you can customize the weights (wentz loves em all in, i love em all out).

Edit: I also program the sensitivity buttons for key binds ingame.

Edited by DarkArchon

I think I've ruled out the razers, simply because of ergonomics. I have held a MX518 and know that it fells extremely comfortable to use. I'm also looking to use this thing for some design work which can be tedious, so comfort is a must. The Razer just doesn't look like it will be as comfortable for me.

One other thing to note, I do use my laptop as a portable device - it goes to and from work with me every day - so wireless options with charging stations, etc. don't seem to be the most practical. I also don't want to be hauling a mouse pad around with me either. The goal is to eventually have a gaming computer again and stick this new gaming mouse with it, but that won't be for a while.

Did a quick read on optical vs. laser - seems the biggest advantage of laser is that it tends to work better on more surfaces. Lasers also have higher resolution, but not sure how practical that would be.

Can't say the weight customization thing would be a big deal for me.

Anyone use their MX518 without mouse pads? Any skipping issues?

argh, my mouse thread is getting pwned by the exploding PC/MAC debate <_<

actually, after I saw mo's post, I was gonna say that the Razer is just the Mac of the mouse world. It's beautiful, perfectly functional but "different" enough that most people won't give it the chance it deserves.

:P

:biglaugha: :biglaugha: I like what you did thar