CoD4

dragonfly

And is it possible for a noob to compete online with all the people that have tons of "perks" on their account?

It'll be like going up against a team full of awpers with only a glock... from reallllly far away, and you spawn in the middle of the level with no cover around you...

Well, I might be over exaggerating, but it'll be hard to compete with the big boys.

That's a bummer! How is the respawn rate? Is it a "once per round" kinda thing, timed respawn, or instant?

And what multiplayer gametype is best for someone that doesn't have any of the 'perks' yet?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And is it possible for a noob to compete online with all the people that have tons of "perks" on their account?

It'll be like going up against a team full of awpers with only a glock... from reallllly far away, and you spawn in the middle of the level with no cover around you...

Well, I might be over exaggerating, but it'll be hard to compete with the big boys.

That's a bummer! How is the respawn rate? Is it a "once per round" kinda thing, timed respawn, or instant?

And what multiplayer gametype is best for someone that doesn't have any of the 'perks' yet?

I dunno, I haven't played multiplayer yet.

:P:p:P:p:P

here are the different types of MP games:

search and destroy: like cs. try to bomb/defend A or B. respawn next round

Domination: like bf2. capture certain "zones" and hold them to gain points. respawn quickly

sabotage: both teams try to bomb a certain zone on the map but have to "share" one bomb. respawn quickly

free for all: everyone against everyone to gain points. respawn quickly

Death match: 2 teams just try to kill each other to gain points. respawn quickly

Headquarters: 2 teams try to capture a certain zone on a map. after one team captures the zone they must hold it as long as they can with out being able to respawn while the other team can.

as for the balance? its really not bad. the players with more skill just get a more "perks" ie different scopes, couple more nades, silencer etc

I'm going to switch my server over to S&D tonight after it calms down. It will run that for a week like the other game types providing it goes over well.

See you guys in, oh ya, S&D you lvl up a little faster. Unclean and JC, just follow my Sig Tag. :D

Edited by Primus

Too bad I don't "legally" own the game. Not sure if I want to buy it either now that I beat SP on my "legal" copy.

Scandalous! I actually did the same thing... wanted to see if the rest of the levels are as cool as the demo level. They are. So I bought a legit copy. Now I want to see if there's an easy way to switch the CD Key without reinstalling. Anyone have any ideas?

And Brew -- thanks for the breakdown! Just the kind of info I was looking for re: respawn rates/gametypes.

Now I want to see if there's an easy way to switch the CD Key without reinstalling. Anyone have any ideas

I don't there is a way otherwise. Developers don't take downloading an illegal copy, using a randomly generated cd key, then buying a legit copy for it's cd key into consideration. I know some games (very few) let you do that. The last game I remember being able to do that was Neverwinter Nights, and you could just type in another cd key into the INI file.

Pretty sure the only way to change it is to do a dreaded reinstall.

Now I want to see if there's an easy way to switch the CD Key without reinstalling. Anyone have any ideas

I don't there is a way otherwise. Developers don't take downloading an illegal copy, using a randomly generated cd key, then buying a legit copy for it's cd key into consideration. I know some games (very few) let you do that. The last game I remember being able to do that was Neverwinter Nights, and you could just type in another cd key into the INI file.

Pretty sure the only way to change it is to do a dreaded reinstall.

o noz! Totally not looking forward to that... it's like a half hour install (or seemed like it, at least).

Too bad I don't "legally" own the game. Not sure if I want to buy it either now that I beat SP on my "legal" copy.

Scandalous! I actually did the same thing... wanted to see if the rest of the levels are as cool as the demo level. They are. So I bought a legit copy. Now I want to see if there's an easy way to switch the CD Key without reinstalling. Anyone have any ideas?

And Brew -- thanks for the breakdown! Just the kind of info I was looking for re: respawn rates/gametypes.

I think there is a way to change the CD code. Under Options > Multiplayer options > Enter key code.

Shaftiel

Oh, and I'm level 26 after 8 hours of playing. I have a long way to go to catch up with you guys heh :).

Edited by shaftiel

On larger levels, expect to get pwned by everyone that has a scoped weapon. It takes awhile to get one, but what I did to speed up that process is going onto a nearly-full free-for-all server with instant respawn.

Hello, weapon upgrades! :) Granted, I'm only at level 15, but I have two scoped weapons now and should be set to get back on Primus' server.

VooDoo -- seemed on a few levels that I kept getting pwned by scoped weapon players (mainly the reflex sight). On the map that resembles the demo level, I was picked off by nothing but people with scopes (including you! :P ). Didn't stand a chance in that level. In some of the other levels, I could still compete.

Unclean, you need UT3.

I have too many games to play already! (Hellgate London, Orange Box, COD4, and a few Wii games). Plus the suckiness of the demo really killed my motivation to get UT3.

I think the scoped weapons are pretty well balanced in general (i.e. you don't get the same 1 shot kill 95% of the time that you do in CS), however, I am a bit confused that hitting someone in the chest with a .50 Caliber Barratt doesn't do more than just knock the wind out of them, I find the R700 to be the most effective scoped weapon.....

As Voodoo says above, the Acog scope is however, terrible.

I do have an issue with Shipment as a TDM map, if you get as we had last night 2 guys on 1 team who are doing well (myself and I can't remember the other player), it can be a whitewash quickly, it's so small that if 2 people get airstrikes then air support, it becomes so 1 sided it's not fun (even though I did get 3 challenges completed). It does work well for S&D though.

Primus, btw, I love your server, thank you.

Lol, for some reason, I'm pwning with the grenade launcher attachment. I usually sucked whenever using that thing in SP, but in MP, I can gauge where it's going to go with a margin of error of a inch (not where the grenade lands, where I'm aiming). I love pelting enemies to death with that thing too at close range.

Lol, for some reason, I'm pwning with the grenade launcher attachment. I usually sucked whenever using that thing in SP, but in MP, I can gauge where it's going to go with a margin of error of a inch (not where the grenade lands, where I'm aiming). I love pelting enemies to death with that thing too at close range.

Yes I believe I "caught" one or two of them last night

Noobtube ftl :)

Yeah, that's exactly what it is. It can kill in one hit if you get hit with the grenade when it doesn't explode and you get killed in one hit by the grenade when it does explode. No matter what range the person is from you, it kills in one hit. You just have too hope he can't aim and since he is using the grenade launcher he probably can't. :)