Yeah, I brought it up

farmerisme

I know some of you are against the game (mostly people that heard 'Sweet Child of Mine' 80 times at FFO) but GH3 is out.

So who has it?

First impressions?

Anyone beat it on expert yet?

I am currently stuck in expert on Metallica 'One', the second to last song. It goes into a solo where even I can not follow. They really upped the difficulty curve on expert. 'Raining Blood' by Slayer is INSANE. Makes 'Six' from GH2 look like a cakewalk. Take this from someone who has all but one song left on GH2 that I do not have 5 stars on expert. It is way tricksy.

My favorite songs so far are 'Knights of Cydonia' by Muse and 'Cliffs of Dover' by Eric Johnson. But the play list is awesome. Only one or two songs so far that I dislike (either to play or listen to).

I got the PS2 version... my only complaint is that the wireless controller that it came with (this may be all of em, or just mine) is absolute garbage. It lags considerably, but not predictably. It misses strummed notes and frets when you are playing wicked fast (like you do on expert on the last tier). I tried switching back and forth with it and my wired controller and there is no doubt in my mind. I am going to destroy it and go buy about 4 backup wired guitars before they stop making them.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GH is for people who cant play the guitar imho B)

Its funny, but true. One of my friends is really good at GH, but when he tried to play my guitar, he had no idea how it worked.

Opposite can also be said. When I tried to play guitar hero, I was amazed on how different the two were. GH is nothing like playing the real thing.

GH is nothing like playing the real thing.

Well...I wouldn't say nothing. At the very least GH helps strengthen your dexterity. It also helps with rhythm and consistency. All the guitarists I know love it (except one, he's an amazing guitarist, a hero even, but sucks at GH, so he's bitter, he's also nearing his 40's) and as a non-guitarist I suck at it (comparatively).

Expert? Are you freaking kidding me? I was murdered by "Pride and Joy" on medium last night...my pinky just won't listen!

All the nay sayers are just jealous and afraid they will suck the first time even though they are good guitarists...admit it (looks at Dark)

i didnt' even realize it was out!!!

I recommend the game for young kids who want to get into music. As a musician for years i see this as a good and fun way to learn about all aspects of music, rhythm, history etc. But yeah it's nothing like the real thing....I'll take my Ibanez over GH any day....you really dont get the full appreciation of songs such as Sweet Child O Mine until you play it on the real thing :D

Edited by Xterminator

GH is for people who cant play the guitar imho B)

Sounds like someone has never played any of the GH games. :) I thought it was a joke too before I played GH2. It's a blast though. Join uuuus, Dark. JOOOIIIN USSSSS

Hahahah! I have played actually. 2 sittings of about 4 hours each. It was pretty fun, but a few things really threw me off:

1 - no hammer-ons

2 - no tapping

3 - no pull-offs

4 - you have to hit the switch for every single note (kinda along the lines of ham + pull)

5 - when the scale goes up 6 notes, I instinctively go up another note too. There's no other note on the guitar :(

DRAGONFORCE ROX!!! Though, learning the song on guitar hero would be a BREEZE to learning it in real life! :D

Yo Mamma - what style do you play? I play metal and church music, so i get the world of regular open and bar chords, plus the great world of extremely fast lead basically. :) How bout you?

Dexterity is helped just a little anonymo. But since there are so many possible ways to pluck a string and press the string down to get a note, you have to work on precision a lot for real guitar. GH = mash the note button and flick the switch - not much finesse :D

Edited by DarkArchon

if the buttons correlated to a note.. and stayed the same, it would sort of be like a guitar, but it would still suck..

i played it once and it was no fun. I was honestly thinking the whole time that if you hand me a real guitar I could easily play this song by ear(well maybe not the solo right away, but I could learn it). If people spent as much time as they do on that game with a real guitar, we would have some talented musicians.

The game would be the exact same if you were using a normal controller, but its all a big marketing scam. They figured out people feel like they are playing a real guitar and they could sell these 5 dollar guitars for 80 bucks. Do yourself a favor and get a real guitar and get good, its much more rewarding :)

In my point of view, it is dance dance revolution for lazy people who would rather use their fingers instead of feet.

Meh, I play the "real" guitar, and I still like Guitar Hero...it's a good time

For the record, the two are not even remotely similar. I can play Sweet Child O' Mine flawlessly on my guitar, but I still screw up a note or two on GH. In some cases, the songs on GH are harder than they are on the actual guitar. That's why I like it. It's just one more musically oriented challenge.

Oh, and I hate DDR...partially because of the music, and partially because I just plain hate DDR...lol

(edited)

I have an ephiphone les Paul. I did play an American Fender Strat, but I had a les paul before that and I liked it better, I couldn't afford a gibson at the time of my last trade..... I really wish I would have kept the strat now. I did alot of trading my guitars in for better ones when I was younger...

I've had

dark red mexican strat

bright red mexican deluxe strat

all black, gold hardware ephipone les paul

blue american stratocaster

tobacco burst ephiphone strat(which I have now)

funny thing is, I've never owned an acoustic. I also have a Marshall half-stack, left over from my high school days, which just sits around and collects dust.

Edited by NOFX

there are hammer-ons and pull-offs in all of the GH's

i play both real and imaginary guitar (GH) and like em both.

hijack: what guitars do you guys play?

Whenever I try to do a hammer-on I miss the note.... I mean like if you hammer-on the note on the guitar controller, it just misses it because you have to hit the switch too. Maybe it's diff for GH3, but it's not for GH1&2... afaict

Hijacking response task force: For the last 7 years I've played a squier. In the last 3 though I switched out the pickups for 81 and 85 EMG's. Perfect for metal, and fits my budget. I am using the Line 6 Spider II (2x12 celestions) as an amp too.

As for acoustics, I have 2 cheap ones: a $200 vantage that I learned on, and a $300 (cant remember name) with a $150 emg active pickup put in it. I bought the second one this year. Great action, full sound, good pickup. That's all I wanted.

Edited by DarkArchon

I also have a Line 6 that I play around the house, it sounds awesome for a little amp. Its only 1x12, but its a celestion I believe

I guess we buy similar musical instruments.

I play on a Squier Fender Stratocaster using a Line 6 amp.

Dark - I typically enjoy setting my amp to the Metal sounding setting with about 50% Drive & 60% Bass to get that kind of heavy, grungy sound. Oh, and I generally use Standard Tuning, but sometimes switch to Drop D.

Btw, I'm VERY impressed with how Mav said he can play Sweet Child 'O Mine flawlessly. I can play it.... but not very well.

Edited by YoMamma

Well I have a number of friends that play guitar quite a bit and they all seem to like the GH series. Yes it is absolutely different to playing in RL. It is not supposed to be the same, and anyone that says it is... they are just silly.

But Dark you are way off about the hammerons and pulloffs. All three (4 if you count 80's) have these features. You do not have to strum them, only fret the right button on time. They have gotten a little easier to pull off without perfect timing as the series progressed, but have been there the whole time.

I would recommend anyone that has not played it to hold judgement, because it is addictive like crack cocaine. Not to mention that pretty much everyone that I have known to play them enjoy them. So be it.

Anyone else have a wireless guitar? I am wondering if anyone else has noticed crappy performance from them.

I'll take your word on it farmer. Maybe it was just the guitar I played with? Who knows. My bad either way :)

YoMamma, I too like the metal setting. I bumped up the low just a smidgen, and the high too. Add 1 touch of delay (actually echo in real life lol) and a douse of reverb and you can get some wicked solos :D

PS - with the line 6 spiders did you know you can have a noise gate and extra drive as secret settings? ;)

if the buttons correlated to a note.. and stayed the same, it would sort of be like a guitar, but it would still suck..

i played it once and it was no fun. I was honestly thinking the whole time that if you hand me a real guitar I could easily play this song by ear(well maybe not the solo right away, but I could learn it). If people spent as much time as they do on that game with a real guitar, we would have some talented musicians.

The game would be the exact same if you were using a normal controller, but its all a big marketing scam. They figured out people feel like they are playing a real guitar and they could sell these 5 dollar guitars for 80 bucks. Do yourself a favor and get a real guitar and get good, its much more rewarding :)

In my point of view, it is dance dance revolution for lazy people who would rather use their fingers instead of feet.

Ouch! That hurt! I mean, be nice at least...some of us are physically unable to play a guitar. I have oversized pores in my hands which causes a psoriasis like condition, so I can't build calluses on my finger tips which basically means after a few weeks of playing the guitar I get giant gouges on my fingertips, making it impossible/painful to play (this is also why I switched to the saxamophone in HS). Just imagine your finger tips are cheese and the guitar strings are cheese wire...yeah.

Regardless...some people don't have time to learn the guitar and just want to pick this up and have fun. I don't think it's wise to play so much that you're getting five stars in hard mode because you could basically learn to play the guitar with that amount of practice (unless you're a natural), but there's nothing wrong with picking it up and having some fun.

I can't put my finger on it, but it sounds like a guitar hero guitar abused you as a child NOFX...

Ouch! That hurt! I mean, be nice at least...some of us are physically unable to play a guitar. I have oversized pores in my hands which causes a psoriasis like condition, so I can't build calluses on my finger tips which basically means after a few weeks of playing the guitar I get giant gouges on my fingertips, making it impossible/painful to play (this is also why I switched to the saxamophone in HS). Just imagine your finger tips are cheese and the guitar strings are cheese wire...yeah.

Regardless...some people don't have time to learn the guitar and just want to pick this up and have fun. I don't think it's wise to play so much that you're getting five stars in hard mode because you could basically learn to play the guitar with that amount of practice (unless you're a natural), but there's nothing wrong with picking it up and having some fun.

I can't put my finger on it, but it sounds like a guitar hero guitar abused you as a child NOFX...

sorry to hear about your condition mo must be tough. I've been playing various stringed instruments since i can remember (started very very young) and that means a lot to me. But it's nice you took up another instrument and learned. Have you tried drums? they're fun!

I'm fairly new to the guitar world myself, i do more 2nd guitar on the stuff my band plays but nevertheless it's still fun (and chicks dig it).

I agree with mo's idea, not to insult anyone but maybe people who spend all that time perfecting GH can try to learn the real thing. It's more fun, and it'll payoff in the longrun (literally....i make a killing playing gigs).

I never caught what the hype was about either. My work friend brought it in and hooked it up to our training TV one night and let me do one song. I didn't even finish it before saying it was just DDR with a different peripheral (in which, he flipped out on me). And I like DDR with dance mat. But essentially, I thought to myself, I could learn this new peripheral which doesn't mimic a real guitar and memorize the songs until I know what notes are coming 5 minutes ahead, or I could go play a game that doesn't require memorization, and only requires skill.

*And yes, I know it does require some dexterity, but certainly not when you go from left to right and then all over the place in a few seconds, like that video someone posted, until you teach your body's reflexes to do it by practicing multiple times. And if you can do it on your first time, well, congratulations on being God, I guess.

has anybody else found that you have to very exact in your timing in this one?

i was even using the wired controller and at many different points during a song i would be sure i struck at the right time but the game seemed to dissagree.. maybe its just my crap timing but that never happened in the other 2

I have a crimson red Tex-Mex Fender Strat out of the custom shop...it's beautiful, and I love it.

I absolutely hate Telecasters...but they seem to be all the rage now-a-days....that being said, I'm not a HUGE fan of Gibson, though I would play an, Epi or any other Gibson for that matter, before I'd play a Telecaster.

I do kinda like Fender Jazzmasters, but those are pricey and hard to find. All-in-all, I love my strat.