COD4 GC Server?

Unclean

Has this been discussed at all? I'd love to see a COD4 GC server, but I don't think it'd be successful without a few things:

1. A few dedicated regulars getting the server going. Post up if you'd be willing to help start it up 2-3 times a week.

2. Reserve slots (not sure if this game supports it). That's big motivation to get a GC membership.

3. The monies! I'll pony up if no one else does, but I think a GC member has to be involved.

Let's do this thing.

Has this been discussed at all? I'd love to see a COD4 GC server, but I don't think it'd be successful without a few things:

1. A few dedicated regulars getting the server going. Post up if you'd be willing to help start it up 2-3 times a week.

2. Reserve slots (not sure if this game supports it). That's big motivation to get a GC membership.

3. The monies! I'll pony up if no one else does, but I think a GC member has to be involved.

Let's do this thing.

Primus has his own server that seems to be doing well, if he doesn't wish to change to a GC server... then I'd be up for donating money to a GC COD4 server

I think if we had one or two more people dedicated to getting the server going, we could get a server up in a matter of days. I bet Primus would be in (he's expressed interest before).

Two final questions:

1. Can COD4 servers have bots?

2. GC Board members, are you watching this thread? Looks like we're mighty close to starting a GC COD4 server.

I think if we had one or two more people dedicated to getting the server going, we could get a server up in a matter of days. I bet Primus would be in (he's expressed interest before).

Two final questions:

1. Can COD4 servers have bots?

2. GC Board members, are you watching this thread? Looks like we're mighty close to starting a GC COD4 server.

1. Nope. COD has never had bot support... except in the first one, but those were just testing purposes and really sucked.

2. Maybe, ask them....oh wait, you were.

Server size? Cost? Who's gonna lead? Who's actually kicking in to start this thing.

You want it, it's there but start getting down to the details!

-Fk

Depends on the hosting company. Does GC have a preferred company? Or should we do some price/performance shopping? In general, it looks like a 24-slot server is between $40-50/mo, and we'd be looking for a midwest server.

And here's a list of people that have offered to help start this server financially:

1. Unclean (reg)

2. Allanon (GC Admin)

3. Shazz (Lead Admin)

4. JackieChan (reg)

5. Leveller (gc member)

6. benjester

Edited by Unclean

Done and done!

Since we have this kind of support, we could go with one of the higher-quality servers like NuclearFallout. Here is their pricing for a Chicago server:

20 slot - $54.99 ($4.58/person + GC match)

22 slot - $60.49

24 slot - $65.99 ($5.50/person + GC match)

Or if we want to go with MyInternetServices, their pricing for a St Louis server looks like this:

$2/slot

20 slot - $40

22 slot - $44

24 slot - $48

32 slot - $64

So we can either get a high-quality 24-slot server or an unknown quality 32-slot server for about the same price. Since this is going to have the GC name on it, I think we should opt for the quality 24-slot server. Plus that's a good number of slots... 32 might get a little crazy especially on smaller maps.

As far as a lead for the server goes, I'd volunteer, but I'm not a GC member. I can spring $50 for a membership, but can't spring $100 for admin right now. If the powers that be can work something out, then I'd be happy to lead the server. If not... Shazz? Allanon? Think you could lead the server?

Done and done!

Since we have this kind of support, we could go with one of the higher-quality servers like NuclearFallout. Here is their pricing for a Chicago server:

20 slot - $54.99 ($4.58/person + GC match)

22 slot - $60.49

24 slot - $65.99 ($5.50/person + GC match)

Or if we want to go with MyInternetServices, their pricing for a St Louis server looks like this:

$2/slot

20 slot - $40

22 slot - $44

24 slot - $48

32 slot - $64

So we can either get a high-quality 24-slot server or an unknown quality 32-slot server for about the same price. Since this is going to have the GC name on it, I think we should opt for the quality 24-slot server. Plus that's a good number of slots... 32 might get a little crazy especially on smaller maps.

As far as a lead for the server goes, I'd volunteer, but I'm not a GC member. I can spring $50 for a membership, but can't spring $100 for admin right now. If the powers that be can work something out, then I'd be happy to lead the server. If not... Shazz? Allanon? Think you could lead the server?

Sure... Primus was talking to me about a really cool admin program that he uses which was actually from CoD2. While I'd have to get acquainted with it, I'd be up for it...

If you are kicking in money towards the server and want to kick in your $50, I would be willing to speak for the board in saying your invested time as server "commander" would be enough. That being said, you might want some generals as well.

The commander would have access to everything and answer to the board as far as outlook, server population etc. Basically, if you guys are commited, the board stands by the stuck thread in this forum. Get with Fatty or myself or flitter, any board member really and we'll get it rollin. I can tell you that Fatty will probably want to see some funds before kicking this thing off(as an offering that you're serious) so if you wanted to be ahead of the game paypal him a bit and put a note on what its for. I'll give him a call and tell him to watch for it.

The server providers we use right now are NFO, so I would base any money #s on their servers. Flitter posted a link here in the boards, so if Flitter hasn't already said so, "yes, we are watching."

GC Alumni

Well, with 6 people fronting money, looks like it's pretty manageable, not to mention we're all regs and trust each other (hopefully) with money (I'm looking at you Allanon...).

For money transferring, would we just front money to Unclean and he could then transfer it to Fatty? I'm pretty sure Unclean isn't going to be "unclean" with money and run off with 50 bucks and fly out of the country... ...then again... :unsure:

As for admining the server, - by all means correct me if I'm wrong - I skimmed through the stickied topic and it said along the lines of "If the leader of the server wishes to share the power to the payees, then so be it" (paying member or not, just not full admining privileges for all GC servers). It doesn't matter to me either way though.

Edited by JackieChan

I could have this up and running very shortly, like by 4 pm... I'm going to PM Unclean my cell number so that he's not dependent on my reading this.

My Questions, even if they've been answered:

1) I assume Unclean wants to be Game Director of this server? The GD will be the be-all-end-all of the server, answering to nobody, assigning Lead Admins, making changes, etc...only decisions involving finances are in need of approval....

2) Will Primus "come home" to play with us?

3) I'd rather the contributions come directly to me so I can mark down who sends what more readily.

4) Was the reserve question answered? This is important, as mentioned.

These may have been answered...I'm at work though....ttyl

Thanks Fatty. Cleared some of the unseen clouds for me. If you do require funds to be sent today since you said you could have it up probably by 4pm, I won't be able to send my share until probably after 9 pm (cst) tonight because I got work, but I will check into this topic when I get off.

Yay, I'll finally get a permanent CoD4 home to go to.