Need to Update/Want your advice

Lunk

I'm gonna cry. Man they're cheap now!

It may help if you posted up what you have right now and we can work from there...

But off the top of my head - I'd get an 8800GTS 512MB card or 8800GT 512 if you can find one. For ram I'd just get some OCZ Gold or Platinum (2x1GB) for about $60 and just about any am2 mobo. Asus makes nice stuff if you're sold on AMD.

Edited by DarkArchon

I'm gonna cry. Man they're cheap now!

It may help if you posted up what you have right now and we can work from there...

But off the top of my head - I'd get an 8800GTS 512MB card or 8800GT 512 if you can find one. For ram I'd just get some OCZ Gold or Platinum (2x1GB) for about $60 and just about any am2 mobo. Asus makes nice stuff if you're sold on AMD.

I've used AMD cpus for years...I wouldn't get one now tho...not worth it.

ADATA and GSKILL have been making great DDR2 lately. I saw some 2 X 2GB sticks on newegg the other day with 4-4-4-12 timings! for $98!

!!

!!

Asus mobo or EVGA mobos have done me well.

Don't go for SLI boards unless you plan on SLI.

Agree with Dark on the 8800GT. I got the oc'd version for $289.

glhf

There is nothing wrong with running a X2 AMD CPU right now if I was strapped for cash and upgrading from a single core. I would get a AMD that's under $100 and overclock it till it reached at least 3.0ghz. Otherwise save your cash and get a Core 2 Duo and overclock. :)

I agree that if the motherboard is getting scrapped along with everything else, it doesn't make lots of sense to go AMD right now unless you have a really really tight budget. Most of the guys here that have recently upgraded to a new AMD processor were still keeping older motherboards or something.

If you can give us a budget to work with, you'll get a few suggestions for parts to buy to meet that budget. Here to help! :D

Some people just like to support the underdog, thats why I first started using AMD, and if it wasnt for them years ago, none of you Intel guys would be able to afford those chips :)

AMD is behind a bit now, but they will recover, and the new chips will still fit the current boards, so there is very little risk involved in buying an AMD chip right now. And if you check that link I posted, that 5000+ overclocked is very close to the Intel chips in every way that matters, still behind, but close enough....we arent splitting atoms after all :)

NOTE: Lunk...buy a mobo with the AM2+ socket, either will work, but the + will insure better future performace when you upgrade to the next gen cpu later, thus giving your build a longer lifespan.

Cost is what keeps me from going with Intel. I'm quite happy with the performance I get from AMD. And getting a Dual Core AMD is better than staying with the single core AMD I have now. That and the fact I still have an AGP bid card.

Some people just like to support the underdog, thats why I first started using AMD, and if it wasnt for them years ago, none of you Intel guys would be able to afford those chips :)

supporting the underdog is one thing if you're still getting value for your money but spending equal money on an inferior product makes no sense. i started using amd when they were on top in the thunderbird days, i stuck with them through the 800fsb p4 dominance and prevailed with the s939 a64 x2's but it's been 3 years now since they've made a good cpu...

the fact is they have no competitive cpus coming out for at LEAST another year and at that point you'll be looking at socket am3 and while it is "compatible" with older mobos you'll be missing out on many of the benefits of the newer cpu. not to mention intel is hardly standing still so you're looking probably another 2 years or so by the time amd MIGHT be able to have some kind of performance lead. by then intel will have a full line of gfx cards and who knows where nvidia will be.

clue, if you were recommending amd vid cards i'd be sticking with you but to recommend an amd cpu to someone doing a FULL platform upgrade is just really foolish.

lunk, on a budget right now i'd go cheap p35 motherboard (i prefer asus), c2d e6550, 2x1gb ocz plat rev 2 (or equivalent), and hd 3850 512mb or 3870. the 8800gt is rare and the gts is likely out of your price range. you could drop the cpu to a e4500 or 4400 to save some coin but the extra cache of the higher models is definitely worth it for css.

yes, you can overclock the black edition amd cpus but the intel cpus overclock even better with all of them hitting 3ghz with ease these days you'd be out performing amd 3.2ghz cpus in your sleep.

GC Alumni
Only interested in AMD Processors.

This is why I recommended the AMD....and he is looking at the same thing I have, so my opinion was relevant.

And no...I do not like Intel, and as long as AMD makes something even CLOSE, I will buy it.

Edited by Clueless

not much of a underdog being a multi billion dollar corporation

Agreed...but they were back when I started buying from them...back when Intel was the only game in town and was raping us out of money because they could, lol. AMD's success was the only reason CPU prices came down to a reasonable level...thats the beauty of competition I suppose, thats why I would hate to see AMD fail and Intel be the only CPU maker again....the prices would most likely double in a matter of months.

And no...I do not like Intel, and as long as AMD makes something even CLOSE, I will buy it.

that's just it though. they're not even close. intel has up to 50% more performance clock per clock.

i totally understand your logic on supporting the underdog but to turn it a different way you're also supporting a company that screwed up royally (and they've admitted to it) by sitting on their butts for 2 years while intel caught up. so you're in fact rewarding them for making an inferior product.

let's face it, amd isn't going anywhere whether you buy their cpus or not. there will still be cheap dell/hp machines with amd processors and they make most of their money on those. DIY makes up a very small percentage of their profits.

if you really wanted to support them what you should have done is buy the x2 6400+ as that's where they make the highest profits. by overclocking your cpu you are devaluing their cpus.

edit - yes, i realize lunk stated he is only interested in amd processors but i can't, in good conscience, recommend him one.

Edited by Cujo

I understand your reasoning as well, and I admit to having a bit of a stubborn streak to me, and by the time I need to build a new system completely from scratch, I may have to put that in check and evaluate the market. But right now, even as inferior as it may be, my AMD cpu does everything I need it to do, especially since I have little to no interest in any new games, only the games I have been playing long before this newest generation of cpu was on the market :)

how about them intel-based macs?

i was hoping if i ignored you, you'd go away...

i'm not gonna lie. i priced one out for my dad the other day. i can get equal performance to a mac book pro with MORE features for around $500 less from asus. how can you justify that??? that's like paying $700 for an operating system essentially.