MAC Owners

Lunk

Lunk: Great thread.

My dad is looking to (finally) part ways with his pos Dell lappy (after years of me telling him not to buy Dell's and a couple years of me telling him that one reason his is so slow if the 256mb ram isn't enough for XP).

I've sorta pointed him to the macbook. Biggest issue is software compatability. He's a boater, and does some extensive cruising. He currently uses his lappy for his navigation software, and would use the macbook for the same purpose. I've already told him to check the software makers websites to see if they'll run on a mac, but wanted to find out from you guys (sj, and m2 et al.) what the chances are that his existing software will work on the mac.

I don't believe that the 13.3" screen size will be a big issue, as I'm not certain his existing lappy has a screen that's any bigger. I also know he doesn't want to spend macbook pro prices.

Thought or suggestions? Am I doing the right thing, or leading him to the dark side?

Lunk,

I've been editing for about 2 year on a pc both desk and lap. My inclination in delving into researching both is you'll pay alot of money to get very little.

with a PC you can buy Sony Vegas 6 for 99$ and then buy the upgrade to vegas pro 8 for 250 and you have some serious editing power. The nice thing about sony vegas is IT IS SIMPLE

to use. Very powerful and Very simple.

so just for more info on the editing I recommend a core 2 duo lap for like 1000.00 (dell) with 2-4 gigs of ram and vegas for about 350.00 and you'll have all you need to do editing (even on a prof end).

If you don't want something too complicated (though vegas is easy it is also in depth like all prof editing progs). You can get the smaller Vegas Plat for about 130.00

Both come with DVD architecture software.

Also get SATA 2 for whatever you get for external drive editing. You'll need it cause 1 vid will cosume lots of drive space. I like the rosewill esata 2 + usb external enclosure cause it has both the esata for my desktop and usb2 for my laptop.

Hope this helps,

Aug

I strongly urge all of you who are looking at Mac laptops but are questioning the price, to look at refurbished macs through Apple or MacOfAllTrades.com

I purchased my laptop through Apple refurbished (straight from their website that sj posted the link to above) and saved over $400. The only things that I got worse were a 2.1ghz processor vs a 2.4ghz, a 6x Superdrive vs an 8x Superdrive and 20gigs less of HD space. I am INSANELY happy with my laptop.

Lunk: Great thread.

My dad is looking to (finally) part ways with his pos Dell lappy (after years of me telling him not to buy Dell's and a couple years of me telling him that one reason his is so slow if the 256mb ram isn't enough for XP).

I've sorta pointed him to the macbook. Biggest issue is software compatability. He's a boater, and does some extensive cruising. He currently uses his lappy for his navigation software, and would use the macbook for the same purpose. I've already told him to check the software makers websites to see if they'll run on a mac, but wanted to find out from you guys (sj, and m2 et al.) what the chances are that his existing software will work on the mac.

I don't believe that the 13.3" screen size will be a big issue, as I'm not certain his existing lappy has a screen that's any bigger. I also know he doesn't want to spend macbook pro prices.

Thought or suggestions? Am I doing the right thing, or leading him to the dark side?

Buy a PC, it's cheaper and will definitely work.

Lunk, Auggy has a point (though I agree that Lenovo is better), but if you don't want to buy all that software a Mac would be fine. I still say get a bigger screen though. In addition, do Macs have that external SATA connector? It'd be real handy for editing as you could still effectively use an external drive. If you do anything in decently high-res, you'll need the extra space.

Also, why buy a refurbished Mac, when you can buy a NEW PC for the same price? I will say this, however. The small yet still fairly powerful Macs do seem to be ALMOST competitively priced with the small yet still fairly powerful PC's.

How is the warranty on a refurb Mac?

Refurb or brand new, lets just say you better hope nothing ever goes wrong with it.

???

My roomate was having issues with his black macbook not powering on correctly, he brought it into an apple store and they checked it in for service, the next day he got it back working perfectly. They replaced the logic board at the store in 1 day.

Horrible warranty service huh

Refurb or brand new, lets just say you better hope nothing ever goes wrong with it.

You = horrible fail.

My old ipod went on the fritz about 7 months after I got it. I took it into the Apple store near my work with no appointment or anything, showed it to the guy behind the counter. He checked it out for a minute, said "Your hard drive is completely screwed. Can I get your name?" I gave it to him and a minute later he handed me a new ipod free of charge.

My friend had a Macbook that was randomly shutting down on him. He took it into the Apple store, they checked it out overnight, found out that something was wrong with his motherboard so they made an image of his hard drive, copied it to a new Macbook and handed it to him when he walked in the next day...free of charge.

My former coworker had an iphone that had some color issues (and by "issues" I mean it was slightly more blue than other iphones...but so slightly that you had to compare them side by side to notice), he took it into the Apple store and complained, showed them what he meant by comparing it to some iphones in the store and they handed him a new one, free of charge. A month later he dropped it when getting out of the car and stepped on it in the process. The case dented. He took it into the Apple store and they handed him a new one, free of charge. That iphone went on the fritz a few weeks later and guess what they did...gave him a new one, free of charge. That one he dropped in the sink (so he says, but it was probably the toilet) 2 months later and when he took it into the Apple store.....................(the suspense is killing me).............they gave him a new one, free of charge.

New or Refurb, all Apple warranties are the same (assuming you buy the refurb from Apple and not a 3rd party company)

My former coworker had an iphone that had some color issues (and by "issues" I mean it was slightly more blue than other iphones...but so slightly that you had to compare them side by side to notice), he took it into the Apple store and complained, showed them what he meant by comparing it to some iphones in the store and they handed him a new one, free of charge. A month later he dropped it when getting out of the car and stepped on it in the process. The case dented. He took it into the Apple store and they handed him a new one, free of charge. That iphone went on the fritz a few weeks later and guess what they did...gave him a new one, free of charge. That one he dropped in the sink (so he says, but it was probably the toilet) 2 months later and when he took it into the Apple store.....................(the suspense is killing me).............they gave him a new one, free of charge.

.... Wow, that guy is amazing. I wonder what would happen if he tried to carry his bride over the threshold. I'm betting a lot of broken bones.

Shaftiel

wait wait wait. MY iphone has a dent. i can get that fixed?

No

Lurk moar boys. I see no reason to do the leg work for you. Don't want to believe me or the hundreds of horror stories out there? Fine, you deserve the service they provide.

Holy poop! I can buy a replacement HDD for my PC for around $60...that's insane!

Does Apple use a special OEM HDD, or is it because they won't let you reinstall the OS? Why would that cost so much money? Why couldn't she just buy a replacement drive and slap it in there? I'm dumbfounded..I must admit.

because consumerist sources are morons. seriously.

btw, selling 2.16 million macs (in one quarter) and having one bad customer service experience is totally laughable, especially considering the other end of the spectrum.

"I see no reason to do the leg work for you."

That, I definitely believe, but you didn't answer my question. I just an honest inquiry; can you buy a replacement HDD yourself, or do you have to have someone authorized do it for you? I'm just curious. I'm sure there are cheaper sources to do it, but if you can't slap your own HDD in there, it'll always be more expensive than the PC option.

So, any idea as to the answer to my question?

So, any idea as to the answer to my question?

I consulted google for you....

Formatting & Partitioning a Hard Drive

When you purchase a new hard drive for your Mac, either SATA/ATA (internal) or FireWire (external) the box that the drive comes in will likely tell you that the drive will run on both Macs and PCs.
Edited by Beliwdered