Harddrive

dragonfly

So I am thinking about one of these two options:

WD 500GB 16mb 7200 - 3yr warranty - $99

OR

Seagate 500GB 32mb 7200.11 - 5 year - $125

I've only used WD before, and I love them, never had troubles with them. Anyone love their Seagates, (but have owned both)? Is the extra cache and warranty worth $25? Honestly, I dont care about the warranty that much, since I'm only using this as a drive for recording music. I need XP for that.

Owned one Caviar that doesn't work right, and have four Barracudas that all work fine.

It's hard to say if a SE16 which is what I assume you're looking at is on par with a 7200.11, mainly because I don't understand WD's naming scheme very well. Looking at Newegg I see Caviars priced below Barracudas and Caviars priced above them as well. Somehow I doubt if most of us can notice the difference between most of these drives in terms of speed.

Wow HDD are getting cheaper everyday like RAM. The WD seems like a great deal. The 32mb Seagate seems interesting, I didn't know that 32bm drives were out.

Yeah it's amazing; I recall spending $100 or so on a 120GB UATA drive not that long ago.

I bought a Seagate about a month ago...a bit noisier than I would have expected for a "top quality" drive. I don't notice any speed difference at all...but I don't tax it other than gaming.

Probably a good drive..(I hope)....but my WD in my other tower that is less than a year old is MUCH quieter.

Review of the Seagate, dosn't look good. My 2 year old DiamondMax 10 is faster. I was wanting to get a new drive too shorten my TF2 load times but it doesn't seem like drives have really gotten any faster for game load times. :(

That's a review for a Barracuda ES2 not a 7200.11. The article even talks about how it should be faster than a 7200.11, but apparently isn't.

Wait am I reading this right? 32mb cache? 0.11 more RPMs?

I have never and will never buy anything but WD and avoid SG, Maxtor and Hitachi like the plague (have had bad experiences with all of them).

Further research has lead me to believe that 32mb cache is a gimmick and probably won't provide any noticeable performance gain over the loss in build quality.

Can't find anyone who can adequately explain how 0.11 RPMs could possibly be worth paying for.

Wait am I reading this right? 32mb cache? 0.11 more RPMs?

I have never and will never buy anything but WD and avoid SG, Maxtor and Hitachi like the plague (have had bad experiences with all of them).

Further research has lead me to believe that 32mb cache is a gimmick and probably won't provide any noticeable performance gain over the loss in build quality.

Can't find anyone who can adequately explain how 0.11 RPMs could possibly be worth paying for.

:biglaugha:

Maybe reread this stuff after a lot more coffee. 7200.11 is a name for the line of hard drives, like 7200.10, 7200.9, 7200.8, and 7200.7 before it. Of course you wouldn't know this because you've been busy avoiding the market leader like the plague.

As to the cache all I can say is this... 640k is all anyone will ever need.

640k is all anyone will ever need.

Don't be surprised if that becomes true.

Also, you're on my "trolled" list now! Trap wasn't for you but I caught myself a keeper today! At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

My brother (you remember him as [LaW]Bilbo) works in the electronic crimes task force of the secret service. (in case you didn't read that before in my anti-PayPal posts)

Anyway, in his computer forensics lab, the hardest drives to destroy and the ones with the lowest failure rates are, according to him, by far the Seagates. Personally, I've owned both and I have had more trouble with the WD's.

My Seagate isn't loud at all..I can't hear it over my case-fans (I have an Antec 900, which isn't ridiculously loud) 90% of the time.

MOST of the Western Digital drives I've owned have performed well, however, but I bought two 120 gb drives a couple years back and each worked for 'bout a month. Ever since then I've been a little ticked at them.

I tend to lean toward Seagates now because of my brother's recommendation. I do believe he's running 6 TB in his forensic computer, and each person in the lab is up and running with a similar amount of space--so if they know one thing, it'd definitely be HDD's.

Hope that helps! :peace:

I think you're the first person I've seen in a long time not get this joke.

You just don't understand what I'm getting at, I got the "joke"

I think you're the first person I've seen in a long time not get this joke.

You just don't understand what I'm getting at, I got the "joke"

Sure you did.

Shaftiel

I went with WD Raptors for the speed but I worry about the longevity of the drive. Seagate is the current relaiblity king if you don't get the low end drives. From now on all my data drives will be Seagate and I used Maxtor for years. We use multi-terabyte HP arrays at my work with FC SCSI, FC SATA and now SAS drives and they are all made by Seagate. We have had only a few drives fail out of approx 500 drives. If you can afford it buy the Seagates.