Top of the line laptops

Magruter

If you're going Vista, don't go for Home Premium, especially if this is for work. Vista Business is the way to go.

The XPS is a little more solid in terms of build quality, but the Inspiron is still good. I have an Inspiron 9400 (basically the same as the one you listed, only a year older) and I love it. The screen is absolutely gorgeous if you go with the WUXGA glossy. The XPS will obviously handle games a little better with the higher end graphics card and faster hard drive. I was surprised to see that the Inspiron was not offering a 7200rpm drive. I can't imagine you would be unhappy with either of those options. With the XPS models, it is nice that you can get them with a little less bloatware than the Inspirons too.

Besides the Vista Business thing, I would say go with whichever you feel like. If it's your dime and not your company's, then The Inspiron is a little better buy.

This is going to be connected to a company network.

K this, is the build I'm looking at, with coupons gets it just under $2,000

Inspiron 1720 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)

Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate Edition

System Color FREE Ruby Red

MEMORY 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz

LCD Panel High Resolution, glossy widescreen 17.0 inch display (1920 x 1200)

Video Card 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT

Hard Drive Size: 250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 8.1

Optical Drive CD / DVD writer (DVD+/-RW Drive)

Sound Card Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition

Wireless Networking Cards Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card

Camera No Webcam Option

Misc Productivity Software Microsoft® Office Professional 2007 - Small Business + Access database

Anti-Virus/ Security suite (pre-install) Trend Micro Internet Security 15-months

Battery Options 9-cell Primary Battery and 9-cell additional Lithium Ion Battery

Warranty & Service 2Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor, 24x7 Phone Support

Dial-Up Internet Access No ISP requested

Miscellaneous Inspiron 1720

Bluetooth and Wireless USB Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)

Dell Digital Entertainment No Entertainment software pre-installed

DOMS Camera Mod Premium Deep Rich Red with Soft Touch LCD back color w/o Camera

Processor Branding Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor

Labels Windows Vistaâ„¢ Premium

DataSafe Online Backup Included 3 GB DataSafe Online Backup for 1Yr

Asus.....though the new Alienware with the backlit keys is SWEET--waaay overpriced though. Back when I bought my Alienware (what, a little over a year ago now) their prices were LOWER than VoodooPC and Dell XPS--now; not so much.

I LOVE ASUS though, they're really kicking some tail in laptops

If I were going to pick a high-end laptop, this'd be it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220215

If I had unlimited money to spend...I would consider either a VoodooPC or an Alienware, but I think ASUS makes a superior product, it's just that VoodooPC and Alienware have more gaming options available. That ASUS is killer for the price though, and it's mad powerful.

Are you going to be carrying this back and forth to work? If so I think you'll regret getting a 17" one.

I carry my 17" Inspiron 9400 every day with me to work and home plus trips and it doesn't bother me one bit. Man up! :D

IT'S AN ITALIAN CARRY-ALL!!!

QFT

Edited by boilersax

17" laptop that I carry to and from work every day, as well as on the road....

Yup, this thing rocks--I sure don't regret having a full-size keyboard and number-pad....

It weighs less than 10 pounds, it's not exactly heavy...

Oh, and why no Vista Home Premium? It's pretty similar to the business version...

I mean, I used to borrow my friends 17" laptop and thought it was awesome...then I got a lighter laptop and realized how ungainly it was.

However, if you're already used to it then you know more than me about what you'll like.

when the title said "top of the line laptops" i was expecting you to be spending $4000 or so. now you're going with an inspiron which is not an xps and not even a lattitude.

i'm saddened that no one gets asus. they are such awesome laptops and you don't get nickel and dimed like you do with dell.

edit - i've said this before and i'll say it again. home premium is like xp home and business is like xp pro. ultimate is complete garbage unless you want some features of home premium (there really aren't any to want) and some features of business.

Edited by Cujo

Welp, I put a memo together just like my boss asked. Then I get his response.

"Thanks for putting that together. We’ll take it from here. You will hear from me when we can move forward. As I indicated, MEUW would much rather prefer to keep these major purchases within the normal budget cycle; but understand when that becomes impractical."

Let's just say, I've waiting for a smart phone for past 6 months. I don't think I'll getting a laptop soon.....

17" laptop that I carry to and from work every day, as well as on the road....

Yup, this thing rocks--I sure don't regret having a full-size keyboard and number-pad....

It weighs less than 10 pounds, it's not exactly heavy...

Oh, and why no Vista Home Premium? It's pretty similar to the business version...

Vista Home (either version) can not be joined to a domain...IIRC.

All that stuff that I mentioned before into consideration, there is still a very very good chance my next laptop will be an Asus. I agree Cujo, their design is awesome and the specs are great. They also pack in more I/O features than most and give you cases, mice, etc. with purchase. My laptop is only a year old though, so it may be a while. I too was under the impression that this would be a "balls to the walls" laptop, hence the need for custom configuration. Someone posted a G2 Asus that would be sweet if it was Vista Business instead of Home Premium.

For those wondering why we have said Business is the way to go over premium, there is a thread somewhere in these forums where Cujo hashes it out well - I believe he was talking with Anonymo about it or something.

Hey, I like Vista Ultimate--it's just every feature enabled--so it's like having the full featured version of Business and Home smashed together--missing nothing, from everything I've read...

Oh, and Cujo, my wife has an ASUS, and it's one of the nicest laptops I've EVER used--the specs are great, it comes with more stuff than any other brand (mouse, bag, etc.) and it's durable and nice looking without being overly heavy. My next laptop will DEFINITELY be an ASUS (Unless they change in the next 3.5 years for the worse). At work, our laptop budget only allows for a new system every 5 years.

Asus really need to start selling direct...I can't stand not being able to customize.

Vista U was my choice because: I didn't want to pay for XP now that it's life has been dated along with having numerous copies lying around; Vista U can be downgraded to XP for free (shipping and handling for the discs if you didn't get them with your system); I don't want to find out in a year that there are features MS is only allowing Ultimate users to have when they are released, not that it would happen...but for about $30 on top of Business with a new computer, how can you say no?; I like to spite cujo!!!! :biglaugha:

Asus really need to start selling direct...I can't stand not being able to customize.

Vista U was my choice because: I didn't want to pay for XP now that it's life has been dated along with having numerous copies lying around; Vista U can be downgraded to XP for free (shipping and handling for the discs if you didn't get them with your system); I don't want to find out in a year that there are features MS is only allowing Ultimate users to have when they are released, not that it would happen...but for about $30 on top of Business with a new computer, how can you say no?; I like to spite cujo!!!! :biglaugha:

this IS ms we're talking about. if they haven't released any decent "ultimate extras" yet then what makes you think they ever will?