Why we went Mac

Playaa

OS choice is a personal preference for personal reasons...Nuff said.

+2 another thing to counteract some of what your saying playaa i bet when vista releases one of their big service packs i bet some of the people who switched to mac will switch back, just my thoughts

I can categorically say that you are wrong there. I have not EVER met a single person who truly switched from Windows to OS X that wanted to switch back. Ever. I'm sure someone out there exists, but they are in the massive minority.

As far as the cost of building your own pc. You guys need to remember that you are also in the massive minority. In reality, most pc users don't even know that they can open their case without it blowing up.

I'll be honest, if it were a perfect world...everyone would use Ubuntu (and the Apple guys would design it's interface)...but it's not a perfect world so my scientology bosses told me I had to tell you to use OS X.

can you share home with pro, or ultimate with less-than-ultimate?

home and pro generally work fine together. i don't have home anywhere to try with vista. the only operating systems i or any of my friends use is xp pro or vista business. vista ultimate and any of the home versions of vista or xp wouldn't be file sharing anyway. printer sharing does work just fine through any version of windows xp or vista. unless there are no vista drivers of course but any printer 3 years or newer pretty much has vista drivers.

i have only a couple clients out of say 1000 who share files on their home network so it's not really a common occurrence or necessity.

btw, xp home does support advanced file sharing but you have to set it up in safe mode.

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)
Here is a key though that alot of people don't bother talking about with the whole "switch" mentality:
If you�€™re a gamer, all bets are off - you�€™re a different kind of user. Gamers are likely the reason Windows is still alive and well at home today. If the gaming industry shifted gears and started to develop OpenGL-based entertainment titles for Linux, you�€™d see Ubuntu adoption skyrocket.

That said though, My Macbook Pro runs CS:S just perfect when booted into Windows with Bootcamp.

I don't understand what point you are trying to make here? So you are telling us that one of the things you really like about OS X is that...um...when you boot into Windows you can play CS:S perfectly. I think I know what you were trying to get at but your statement doesn't really support it well. I believe you're trying to say that with your Mac-based hw you can run both OSX and Windows. That doesn't really help you though because it's always been Windows "thing" that they are more hw-independent than OSX. But just to flip the coin, the underground community out there has made osx86, modifying OSX to remove it's hw dependency. So, just like you can run Windows on your hw, I can run OSX on mine.

But what are we discussing here? "Why we went Mac" is the topic (Btw, that biases the discussion right there. A more appropriate topic might have been "What is your OS of choice and why...serious responses only; no flaming".) but discussing Mac hw v. the rest of the hw and Mac OSX v. all other OS' could really have (some might say "should really have") been split into two or more threads.

So ditching the "be incompatible with everything else" game plan has worked out well for Apple?

They are gaining market share like no other computer company has in recent years. Gaining market share by about 37% every year.

They've gained ground like this before, but then thanks to some brilliant decisions by Steve Jobs they went back down the sine curve as well. Yes, Steve Jobs is a genius marketeer, but if history repeats itself again, his pride and ego will again take Apple sliding downhill.

It may not seem much as an individual hardware manufacturer, but it is a big deal in the OS market, because this is the only company that markets it. So, it's not just a hardware gain, it's an OS market gain.

Are we talking about the Mac xServe here? Or are we talking about one of the latest desktop du jours? I mean, the "reinvent" the desktop every year or so. Or maybe we're talking about the Apple TV box? No? How about one of the gazillion iterations of the ipod? Or maybe the iPhone? Who knows. Steve's ADHD sure is good for wowing the crowds for a time, but I feel Apple is overextending itself and will soon slip back down the pecking order

Also, Macs are no longer incompatible and can "speak" Windows in native language with the new Intel chips and can run all Windows software. Bilingual = cool. Windows can't do that.

Ok, this argument I just don't get. Because Apple scraps their crappy Apple Talk Zone way of doing things and "adopts" the *nix way of sharing, all of a sudden OSX is to be praised? I mean, there were 9 previous versions that had the same craptastic networking scheme. I've always heard that the third time was the charm, not the tenth. Anyway, this argument is ridiculous anyway because configured properly, any computer should be able to connect, interact, or to use your parlance, "speak" to any other. I mean, as long as they all use TCP/IP, communication is possible. Sure XP Home has it's issues but it was always marketed as a slightly limited OS. It was not billed as a "network" OS so much as an Internet-accessible one. Also, someone want to check when during the 1990's the majority of households (at least US homes) stated having more than one computer? This is to Apple's defense too. I'll take a guess and say up until about 3-4 years ago, they typical American household only had one computer (please make note of the emphasis on the word "typical"). Any home system wouldn't really need to be "network-capable". Even an Apple by default would just dump itself in a randomly named Apple Talk zone. So pointing out a Windows "Home" version flaw, that Microsoft clearly made evident in its marketing of said "Home" versions really does nothing for your argument.

In response to your "Bilingual = cool. Windows can't do that." Um...Yes it can. Ever heard of osx86? I hope so. I just mentioned it in my response to one of Playaa's comments. And that was made by a group of developers who had to pretty much reverse engineer the OS because Apple is actively fighting against them. Just think what possibility this OS has for hw-independence and ubiquitousness (look it up) if Apple would work with these developers.

Apple isn't interested in beating down the demon that is Microsoft. It wants to take its place. If not, why wouldn't they just open it up. Or at the very least, don't hw-limit it. Besides, Apple doesn't so much make it's own hw as it contracts out other companies to make it to spec. So, when it all comes down to it, again we see that it really is just an OS thing. And whereas Microsoft made deals with computer manufacturers to get their OS pre-installed on the computers, in a similar fashion, Apple is flooding the market with OSX-based devices. (similar to how Pepsi Co. bought Pizza Hut and Taco Bell so that they could exclusively sell Pepsi Co. products in the stores). Apple is using a different means to the same goal. Product recognition is key.

Also, anybody that owns an iPhone (they are close to selling 10 million worldwide and many analysts are thinking close to 13 million this year! iPhone) makes them consider the OS X because the simplicity of iPhone's version of the OS X. It just works.

I'm not trying to convert anybody as it is one's prerogative to use which ever OS they want, but would like to invite them to open their eyes to something different. The old Macs are just that, "old". The new Macs will really impress you, including the OS.

**Comments inline**

in all fairness it's not microsofts fault that pcs can't "speak" mac language. it's apple's fault that it can't work with all pcs. you're unfairly blaming windows for a problem your beloved company is behind.
pcs cant even talk to pcs, unless they're in the same "ultimate" or "pro" version of the os. how is that macs fault?

on the flip side, my mac and pc can both share drives with each other (and do).

sj, this "talking to another" problem is not OS specific. As mookie said, if it's smb is properly set up, "talking" to one another shouldn't be an issue. [see my additional comments inline of shoot's quote]

Edited by dwEEziL

Every time I hear the "It just works" crap, I vomit ever so slightly in my mouth. Seriously, the article isn't a list of 50 reasons that he switched. It is the "12 reasons and the 38 paragraphs that happen to be numbered" that do not give a specific reason but rather just a random thought about this or that. I am not a Mac hater but good lord, it's become a religious experience. I wonder if this is some master plan of Scientology.

Yeah, Vista is not too good. Leopard wasn't too hot either upon release. There have been a lot of bugs and upgrade issues and all kinds of crap. The firewall is disabled by default... that's secure! The OS is pretty but not my taste. I use it to learn it because I have to support some faculty but beyond that, I am not that impressed. I'm just not drinking the koolaid.

You forgot a sentance. "Yet I still wear it!"

Sorry about the red font, was just trying to find a different color so that my comments stood out from what I was quoting.

They're just harassing you...it's what we do.

BTW...spiderman has been take down. you need a new avy

Sorry about the red font, was just trying to find a different color so that my comments stood out from what I was quoting.

They're just harassing you...it's what we do.

BTW...spiderman has been take down. you need a new avy

yeah no doubt, just how we roll.

looks like someone might need to contact tech support @ VT re: image hosting. do i smell a dmca cease and desist? i shore hopE!

So in the last week my iphone mysteriously developed some dead pixels (4 to be exact).

Today on my lunch break I went into the Apple Store, showed them the phone and 5 minutes later I walked out with a new iphone freshly activated and ready to go.

Too bad Apple apparently has bad customer care (at least...according to most people I talk to who don't own Apple products)

So in the last week my iphone mysteriously developed some dead pixels (4 to be exact).

Today on my lunch break I went into the Apple Store, showed them the phone and 5 minutes later I walked out with a new iphone freshly activated and ready to go.

Too bad Apple apparently has bad customer care (at least...according to most people I talk to who don't own Apple products)

Did you take it out of the box yourself?

Actually...it doesn't really matter as they're dumping the current iphone.

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=146791

http://techfromthekid.wordpress.com/2008/0...ashing-later-p/

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41570

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32890

http://publicradar.com/admin/apples-support-not-that-great/

http://www.mathdittos2.com/columns/bh/bh990225.html

Wow...30 seconds searching Google. Take from it what you want. At this point I'd rather see your Macbook burn your house down than help you understand the folly of your premise.

I'll point out that no one is supporting MicroSoft's custy support (which is probably worse than Apple's), but at least we don't have to rely on them for anything while you have to rely on Apple's for just about everything

I can count on one hand the number of times I have called Microsoft for anything, and all of those were reactivating various MS office products after computer switches.

My sister had a mac notebook when she started college (whatever the 5 year old equivalent of a macbook pro was) and had the slot-loading dvd/cdrw combo drive stop reading dvds and burning discs. After going to two different Apple stores and being told she would be without her computer for two weeks and requesting a stupid amount of money (don't recall the amount), she gave up and didn't ever get it fixed since she couldn't go without a computer for that long.

Apple customer service is not all hugs and kittens and "brand-new" iphones for all. I am definitely not advocating MS's support here, but Anonymo's absolutely correct in that at least we don't ever need them for anything beyond a 3 minute phone call to reactivate a product after changing machines.