Why we went Mac

Playaa

I realize this is an endless debate and some people will never be satisfied one way or the other, but enough people have asked me in the last few weeks why I (a Microsoft .Net Developer, longtime gamer and general computer geek) switched to Apple.

The problem is that I can't give any solid single reason. It's all a bunch of little reasons that aren't enough to convince anyone but when added up the best explanation is that it just "feels better".

However, I figured some people might be interested in reading why Chris Pirillo (former TechTV host and Windows fanboy) switched and is very happy that he did.

Flame on.

Here is a key though that alot of people don't bother talking about with the whole "switch" mentality:

If you’re a gamer, all bets are off - you’re a different kind of user. Gamers are likely the reason Windows is still alive and well at home today. If the gaming industry shifted gears and started to develop OpenGL-based entertainment titles for Linux, you’d see Ubuntu adoption skyrocket.

That said though, My Macbook Pro runs CS:S just perfect when booted into Windows with Bootcamp.

Because you started your thread... You look sexier than ever.

I've owned Apple computers since the Apple II era and Apple never disappointed me with their products. Even to this day, Apple = synonymous with quality. What a lot of people fail to realize, is that when it comes to OS, Apple makes hardware for their OS, and makes sure that it works properly. Their computer simply... works. Microsoft is a different story. Make OS and have other hardware companies deal with compatibility.

Some geeks take pride in supporting Windows because they are the few that know how to make it "work" and therefore feel special. The average person has a very hard time figuring network configurations, adding hardware, software install, etc. Apple is much easier to use and maintain. Heck, my mother uses it and she's 60 (please, no jokes about my mother).

I'm a Windows user (xp and Vista) and use it out of necessity. Software primarily, but also because some web sites (many international sites) are IE oriented and gives me no choice but to keep using windows. Oh... and the games. :D

I use Parallels (virtual machine) and can run windows along OS X and works flawlessly with most programs. Use bootcamp, and it's a virtual PC and can run games no problem. As a matter of fact, my next computer is more than likely be a Mac Pro with 8 core. The major drawback is the price, considering it's about 30% higher than comparable PC setup. Ultimately I think it's worth it.

side note: My first computer was an Apple IIe with duo drive and imagewriter (c. itoh). Ahh... those were the days. (White Snake, Bon Jovi, Run DMC, Europe...)

(edited)
OS choice is a personal preference for personal reasons...Nuff said.

You're here too!!? Can't go anywhere without you showing up...

Playaa... you do realize that we're going to be showered with rotten tomatoes here, right?

Somebody help! Playaa got me in trouble.

My mama always told me to be careful who I hang around with.

Edited by shoot

Here is a key though that alot of people don't bother talking about with the whole "switch" mentality:
If you’re a gamer, all bets are off - you’re a different kind of user. Gamers are likely the reason Windows is still alive and well at home today. If the gaming industry shifted gears and started to develop OpenGL-based entertainment titles for Linux, you’d see Ubuntu adoption skyrocket.

That said though, My Macbook Pro runs CS:S just perfect when booted into Windows with Bootcamp.

just the reason why i still use windows. my roommate and i were talking about how if linux could run games just as easy as windows that it would be the way to go for how much little it requires to operate it in comparison. until mac actually comes out with a platform that requires no dual booting then i'm staying with my pc.

Pretty sure he said "nuff said". :P

I'm pretty sure I'm happy for the mac users liking their macs and the windows user liking their gaming machines. Never actually wondered why mac users loved their macs so much to be honest though... I hear enough about how awesome it is in general that I figured it'd take days to hear the details. :P

Generally all things are a personal choice for personal reasons, until your reasons change. I have just heard from die-hard Windows users lately so much about why my reasons changed that I thought maybe I'd post up a bit in case anyone was interested. If you aren't interested in hearing another persons opinion that's fine, just don't try to make us pay attention to your opinion if you won't listen to ours.

:)

+2 another thing to counteract some of what your saying playaa i bet when vista releases one of their big service packs i bet some of the people who switched to mac will switch back, just my thoughts

GC Alumni
(edited)
i bet when vista releases one of their big service packs i bet some of the people who switched to mac will switch back, just my thoughts

i have 0 desire to see vista, and i run xp on my desktop and osx on my laptop. vista is the biggest fail since anonymo tried spinning. :wiggle2: (i kid)

edit: kid about mo, not vista.

Edited by sj

I have to be honest, the guy makes some really good points. However, I disagree that mac's are comparable in price to windows computers. Since you have the option of building your own rig without bundled software you can get a better XP machine then you can with an OSX. A lot of the arguments are valid... the only reason I don't want to switch to Mac is because I don't have a need to. Despite all the arguments about it's software compared to XP, a lot of the open source software like VLC and Open Office is available on XP too so I don't see the need to change. The whole UI is too ... well I don't know how to describe it but it's just not working for me...

I will say this though... if you like what Mac has to offer then go for it :).

Allanon, I can't spend more than $1.5k to be able to surf the net, cause that's all I'd do if I didn't game. You have a great point! You can build your own new machine with xp for less than $500.

Edited by DarkArchon

So ditching the "be incompatible with everything else" game plan has worked out well for Apple?

They are gaining market share like no other computer company has in recent years. Gaining market share by about 37% every year.

It may not seem much as an individual hardware manufacturer, but it is a big deal in the OS market, because this is the only company that markets it. So, it's not just a hardware gain, it's an OS market gain.

Also, Macs are no longer incompatible and can "speak" Windows in native language with the new Intel chips and can run all Windows software. Bilingual = cool. Windows can't do that.

Also, anybody that owns an iPhone (they are close to selling 10 million worldwide and many analysts are thinking close to 13 million this year! iPhone) makes them consider the OS X because the simplicity of iPhone's version of the OS X. It just works.

I'm not trying to convert anybody as it is one's prerogative to use which ever OS they want, but would like to invite them to open their eyes to something different. The old Macs are just that, "old". The new Macs will really impress you, including the OS.

in all fairness it's not microsofts fault that pcs can't "speak" mac language. it's apple's fault that it can't work with all pcs. you're unfairly blaming windows for a problem your beloved company is behind.

Every time I hear the "It just works" crap, I vomit ever so slightly in my mouth. Seriously, the article isn't a list of 50 reasons that he switched. It is the "12 reasons and the 38 paragraphs that happen to be numbered" that do not give a specific reason but rather just a random thought about this or that. I am not a Mac hater but good lord, it's become a religious experience. I wonder if this is some master plan of Scientology.

Yeah, Vista is not too good. Leopard wasn't too hot either upon release. There have been a lot of bugs and upgrade issues and all kinds of crap. The firewall is disabled by default... that's secure! The OS is pretty but not my taste. I use it to learn it because I have to support some faculty but beyond that, I am not that impressed. I'm just not drinking the koolaid.

in all fairness it's not microsofts fault that pcs can't "speak" mac language. it's apple's fault that it can't work with all pcs. you're unfairly blaming windows for a problem your beloved company is behind.
pcs cant even talk to pcs, unless they're in the same "ultimate" or "pro" version of the os. how is that macs fault?

on the flip side, my mac and pc can both share drives with each other (and do).

yeah... i mean my brother doodled around in other OS's and gave them all a try... i have stuck with Windows just because its what i have used since day 1... i know a good amount about it and when ever i have problems i usually can fix them out myself, if not thats what my brother is for... i always havent minded windows when others have flamed it. Apple... havent fully dabbled with it... i don't know there plus/minuses.. i use windows for firefox games music and a lot of other things and it works out fine for me.

its all preference

pcs cant even talk to pcs, unless they're in the same "ultimate" or "pro" version of the os. how is that macs fault?

my vista business talks to my xp pro machine just fine. perhaps you just aren't doing things right? vista is annoying in that you have to turn off password protected sharing and set permissions but it's no different from the advanced file sharing in xp...

my vista business talks to my xp pro machine just fine. perhaps you just aren't doing things right? vista is annoying in that you have to turn off password protected sharing and set permissions but it's no different from the advanced file sharing in xp...

can you share home with pro, or ultimate with less-than-ultimate?