computer keeps crashing

Brew

Did you try manually setting the fan speed with riva tuner first? That's free :) and it lowers my temps by 10C. I have settings for 80% and 100% fan speed (my default is 60%).

thanks for reminding me about Riva Tuner. i forgot about it completely.

Pick up a power supply tester. They're not very expensive and they can help you quickly determine if your PSU is indeed to blame.

are all 20pin connectors the same? because i might buy this.

update: i moved my power cord to another outlet (with another surge protector) just to make sure it was gettin enough watts when it needed it... the comp still froze. :(

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might have already been mentioned previously, But I had an issue where I was only getting 20 fps and occasional crashes, and the be all end all solution was to duster my case. My temps were all reading normal as well, but the dust coating everything made my comp run like crap. So if its looking dusty in there clean it out, and pray.

update:

i went to the event viewer in device manager and i noticed this error message: ati2mtag: "CRT invalid display type"

looks like it might be a driver issue. some forums suggest going back to the old drivers which im seriously considering.

on the other hand, i might just buy a new video card

update:

i went to the event viewer in device manager and i noticed this error message: ati2mtag: "CRT invalid display type"

looks like it might be a driver issue. some forums suggest going back to the old drivers which im seriously considering.

:unsure: Hmmm...do you use a CRT? Do you DVI connection or VGA? What refresh rate is it set to and double check it's supported by your monitor. Wipe the drivers and put some old solid ones on. Check guru3d for some good drivers.

A few inexpensive video card suggestions rated from best to worst but also from most expensive to cheapest. You will see a huge increase no matter which you choose:

8800GT 512mb $160 after MIR

8800GT 256mb $129 After MIR

8800GTS 320mb $114 after MIR

8800GS $104 after MIR

8600GT $50 after MIR

I also seriously suggest you upgrade your power supply:

Coolmax 650watt $50 after MIR

Coolmax 700watt $70 after MIR

update:

:unsure: Hmmm...do you use a CRT? Do you DVI connection or VGA? What refresh rate is it set to and double check it's supported by your monitor. Wipe the drivers and put some old solid ones on. Check guru3d for some good drivers.

i have a LCD monitor that uses a VGA connection. its a old gateway 15"... i rolled back the catalyst 8.3 driver to the 7.6 version which was recommended to me by a guy in another forum. he said that anything after 7.6 started showing problems. i guess it was the same time AMD took over which doesn't surprise me. ive been playing all morning *cough* and so far so good. So if this is the problem then the ATI clowns lost a customer for life <_<

A few inexpensive video card suggestions rated from best to worst but also from most expensive to cheapest. You will see a huge increase no matter which you choose:

8800GT 512mb $160 after MIR

8800GT 256mb $129 After MIR

8800GTS 320mb $114 after MIR

8800GS $104 after MIR

8600GT $50 after MIR

I also seriously suggest you upgrade your power supply:

Coolmax 650watt $50 after MIR

Coolmax 700watt $70 after MIR

thanks preacher, ill keep them bookmarked. i know i need to upgrade but i only play CS and the 700 PRO does fine. so im stalling as long as i can :D

update:

rolling back the drivers on my vid card did nothing... so i bought a new 500W PS and it still froze... now i just bought a new 8800GT video card and ill give you and update laters... wish me luck...

Update?

it froze once so far... when my head was in my hands i did notice a blue screen right before it completely shutdown... so THAT part is new.

Should have left your PC in the back of your truck :(

LOL i know!

Brew, my wife had the same situation happening to her. Come to find out it was the ram slots on here mobo. Tested and retested several things, tore down the mobo twice and then decided to check the ram slots one at a time. Found out 2 of the 4 slots were bad and eventually degraded the other 2. It sounds to me like you may have the same problem. Her PC would run just great for a while then as she started to get into her graphics program, she got about 20 minutes out of it and down it went.

Not sure if you have a second board handy to check but if not you might want to consider the slots might be bad. Just thought I might throw that out.

I had the exact same thing happen to me this Friday. I started CS and would play for a few minutes and then my computer would crash. I was fine until I started a graphics program and then my computer would crash by going to a blank vid screen. Eventually it wouldn't start up again and I had no picture. Fortunately it was still under warranty and the tech guy I talked to said it sounded like it may be the motherboard. I noticed there were other comments saying you may want to check your motherboard brew. I will let you know when I find out what was wrong with mine because it sounds a lot like what happened to my computer. So no Jibba for at least a week or so, but I will be back with a vengeance once I get my computer back! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
...and its still freezing... might do a fresh install of windows now just to get that out of the way

Hey Brew, did this ever get fixed for you? I've been having the same problem. I did the fresh re-install and it still crashed within 45 seconds of entering the server.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry wolf, ive been busy. you know how it is.

update:

i did a repartition on both of my HDs and reinstalled windows and it still froze. (im not gonna say that it didn't help though...) anyways, while i was at my local comp store talking about warranting my mobo they were having a sale on RAM. i bought a stick for the heck of it ($9.99 for 1GB of RAM :freak: )and took my old RAM out and put the new one in. low and behold it hasn't froze since... my old RAM each passed a memtest86+ test for over 8 hrs each so i really dont know what to say about that... honestly im just happy its not my mobo...im not completely out of the blue yet but moral is high on this one :boing:

oh, this is the RAM that i had in my COMP when it was freezing.

LINK