Geek Fun! Lets build Laz a rig....

Laz.e.rus

So, Im planning on building a new rig after moving to Mich.

Lets say I'm going to build this around august...

I'm not going to put a price cap on it, but lets be realistic too. I'm not putting $1500 worth of vid cards in it or anything.

So, lets hear some ideas for putting one together!

Note: Dont forget, some things that are expensive now will likely drop by then. Also, if you are aware of a new product coming by/around that time dont forget to include it! Throw it out there! If youre not sure of the specs on it yet, but it "should" be good...toss it up and we can check on it later.

Quad core?

Ram?

Mobo?

Hard OC or slight or none?

Vid?

HDDs?

Burners?

Monitor?

Cooling?

PSU?

Mouse?

Specialized case?

Have some fun with it! Try to include some prices or best guesses. If its a future product youre expecting, mark it so.

August? Seems so far away...

yes prices will be totally different by then...

WD just came out with their new driver that is faster than the raptor 300 gig for 300 bucks... not to shabby..

sweet! see! I didnt know that!

O...Im not going back to school soon, Im in week 4.

:D Mid terms in two weeks

Cmon...have some fun. I used to love threads like this....Id be like..

Id get THIS

and THIS

oh! And I heard theres gonna be a THIS

Ya know?

sweet! see! I didnt know that!

O...Im not going back to school soon, Im in week 4.

:D Mid terms in two weeks

Cmon...have some fun. I used to love threads like this....Id be like..

Id get THIS

and THIS

oh! And I heard theres gonna be a THIS

Ya know?

who are you?

Yeah, this is kind of a weird thread. What's good now could be terrible in August. None of us have a crystal ball, so I doubt you'll be getting serious responses on this one.

I'd suggest you post up a thread when you're actually in the market for a PC. :)

Anyone know the reason Intel slashed the prices of their quads by such a large margin? Will they be doing so for their duos, say, sometime before August?

They did? Prices still look about the same as they did a week ago... am I missing something?

Anyone know the reason Intel slashed the prices of their quads by such a large margin? Will they be doing so for their duos, say, sometime before August?

prices look the same but maybe by august there will be 6 core processors or 8 core? I'm probably getting ahead of myself.

(edited)

Yup, they slashed the quads' price by 50% - http://www.cnet.com/8301-13924_1-9924121-64.html

"The price of the Core 2 Quad Q6700 (2.66GHz) fell 50 percent from $530 to $266, while the quad-core Xeon X3230 (2.66GHz) saw an identical cut: from $530 to $266."

edit: Actually, I take that back. They did cut prices on some duos. So yeah, hopefully by August, the price would have come down even further, then you'll have a much sweeter bang for your buck.

Edited by lousiest

cool.

But as to a weird thread and price cuts...that was kinda the idea.

The baddest #1 processor right now will actually be affordable in August.

So, right now, what would you say is the single best combo of CPU,Ram, and Mobo you could get? Why would you select that particular brand and speed of ram? Why that particular Mobo? etc

I know some of you have been watching and comparing this stuff.....

If a customer came to Cujo right now and said I want the best combo you can buy....Cujo could rattle it off and the reasons in 5 seconds flat I bet :)

so you're looking at the best stuff now to buy in august?? when it hopefully will be cheaper?

I think that's Laz's idea. However, we really can't put together a top-of-the-line PC now and have any guarantee that it'll be the best choice in August.

Let's use the 8800GTX as one example. When it came out, it was the baddest videocard on the block. As time went on, other comparable/superior videocards came out (like the 8800GT) that drove the price of the GTX down. So it went from $550 to $350, but the 8800GT was what, $300 when it came out? For almost the exact same performance.

So let's pretend the 8800GTX is the end-all card to get right now, and we don't know about the 8800GT until June. When it's time for you to build a computer in August, you'll be wasting money by going with the 8800GTX we recommended.

This is just one example - the same thing can happen with processors, RAM, etc.

The prices will all be different by the end of the weekend, the tech will all be different by the end of spring and Laz will be broke by the end of summer because his wife will want new shoes.

This thread is an exercise in futility

They are if you're married and it involves spending money

Yup, pretty much!

So, scratch that idea then guys. I just thought it'd be fun. BTW, its not THAT far in the future. Buying in August means finalizing the purchase ideas in July, so- 2 months?

In the meantime, I wanna buy a new laptop. Ours is ANCIENT.

Looking at an Acer: Intel C2D, 3 gigs DDR2, Vista, 160GB HDD, 15.somethng monitor, Multi card reader, built in webcam, yadda yadda - $700.

Good deal? You know of a better one?