New Laptop!

ThruX

what doesn't make me sound very knowledgeable?

http://infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=351727

No no no...not that you didn't get the price right...I just find it unusual that you would use the price of hardware as a way of making comparisons...it sounds like my 16 year old cousins trying to argue which is better the 360 or the PS3 and agreeing that its the PS3 because it's more expensive. (I mean, would you just sit by idly if I made statements like that? I hope not) You have made your own standards around here... :shrug03:

I just expect more from you so it made me scratch my head...especially considering you should know that comparing the prices of a mobile card to its desktop sibling is quite arbitrary. (honestly, if you can get the 9650M GS into my laptop for $150 I will carry you to FF on my back)

Not sure why you considered the mobile version to be "castrated" unless you are referring directly to the drivers as according to most of the forums I've been looking in the two cards (8600 GT and the 8600M GT) share identical specs once you load the non-mobile drivers and then only differ in terms of how well they can dissipate heat, the obvious limiting factor in a laptop.

I hope there's no hard feelings, at least I have none. I just think you're (going) crazy.

Yes, I ignore this thread until I am at work and have time to read it. Asus looks like a decent machine, I am still lost in the 8900gt/gs 7200rpm mumbo jumbo. Since when has India become so advanced in the digital age, I even saw a show how when you drive through McDonalds someone in India takes your order. Well thank you for all the info Just going to have to find something that fits my budget, Most likely will be dell though. Seems like the one I want will be enough for what it will be used for. If I had more knowlegde about comps I would build my own like you said, unitl then sticking to the bundled pack.

Yes, I ignore this thread until I am at work and have time to read it. Asus looks like a decent machine, I am still lost in the 8900gt/gs 7200rpm mumbo jumbo. Since when has India become so advanced in the digital age, I even saw a show how when you drive through McDonalds someone in India takes your order. Well thank you for all the info Just going to have to find something that fits my budget, Most likely will be dell though. Seems like the one I want will be enough for what it will be used for. If I had more knowlegde about comps I would build my own like you said, unitl then sticking to the bundled pack.

Good deal! Go with what makes you comfortable/happy, though I still say you can get more bang for your buck out of the Asus....

Oh, and I remember, before they went out of business, calling a CompUSA store number for a location here in the US, and getting FORWARDED TO INDIA. I couldn't believe it. The person in India then had to check via computer whether the product was still in the store! It was insane! Then when I got to the store, the product was, in fact, gone though our friendly Indian representative said it was in stock. What happened to calling the store and asking a representative on the floor to take a quick peak to see if it was there? I guess it's just another reason CompUSA went out of business.

what doesn't make me sound very knowledgeable?

http://infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=351727

No no no...not that you didn't get the price right...I just find it unusual that you would use the price of hardware as a way of making comparisons...it sounds like my 16 year old cousins trying to argue which is better the 360 or the PS3 and agreeing that its the PS3 because it's more expensive. (I mean, would you just sit by idly if I made statements like that? I hope not) You have made your own standards around here... :shrug03:

I just expect more from you so it made me scratch my head...especially considering you should know that comparing the prices of a mobile card to its desktop sibling is quite arbitrary. (honestly, if you can get the 9650M GS into my laptop for $150 I will carry you to FF on my back)

Not sure why you considered the mobile version to be "castrated" unless you are referring directly to the drivers as according to most of the forums I've been looking in the two cards (8600 GT and the 8600M GT) share identical specs once you load the non-mobile drivers and then only differ in terms of how well they can dissipate heat, the obvious limiting factor in a laptop.

I hope there's no hard feelings, at least I have none. I just think you're (going) crazy.

we'll talk in the car. ;) with video cards you generally get the performance you pay for.

also, in my experience the mobile cards are generally clocked down from the desktop cards. that may not be the case with the 8600 but in the past it's always been the case. my 6600gt for example paled in comparison to the desktop version. i believe the gpu clock was 100mhz lower and the ram about 300mhz lower.

yep, the 8600m gt is clocked 65mhz slower core and the shaders are 240mhz slower. the ram is the same speed though. so ya, that's what i meant by castrated.

Was playing AoC at 1920x1200 yesterday...pretty solid 20+fps considering it's all on medium with 1500m view distance.

You people need to understand that cujo and I will discuss these issues without pulling punches...we're not worried about hurting feelings, we're computer geeks, we have no feelings...at least we disabled them on startup to save RAMZ

Plus we're usually in agreement but don't know it, so we have semantic arguments.

Was playing AoC at 1920x1200 yesterday...pretty solid 20+fps considering it's all on medium with 1500m view distance.

You people need to understand that cujo and I will discuss these issues without pulling punches...we're not worried about hurting feelings, we're computer geeks, we have no feelings...at least we disabled them on startup to save RAMZ

Plus we're usually in agreement but don't know it, so we have semantic arguments.

i've never lol'd at something i read online more than i did when i read this. my gf still doesn't get it but i man i nearly fell off the couch. (i'm at the cottage on the laptop).

as far as the webcam broadcast, if there are people that want to watch we can definitely set it up at least while we're on the canadian side of the border. after that i think i might be charged roaming to use the wireless. any suggestions for free software?