Want to get a new TV by mid August

lostoften

Will be moving mid August, and I know prices will change a bit in the next month but don't imagine that much. Looking to get a 42" LCD, that is 1080p because will also get a ps3. Looking to spend about $1000-1300. However, if a little makes a difference I would consider. Right now been looking at the 42LG50, seems like it would be a pretty decent TV.

Thanks,

Lost

If you dont mind lossing the whole mounted on the wall thing you can a get tv and size for a good price, and it is still not very deep is this Sony. You maybe able to find the 60" for about the same price, but real good tv. I have 60" and love it and I was going to get a LCD to put on the wall, but this was worth loosing the whole on the wall thing.

My fiancee likes LCD better than DLP's. She does not like the glare and reflections that you get with most DLP's that we have seen when you are not looking directly at them.

Not a DLP...it is a read proejction LCD Silly

It's also out-of-stock, so a moot point. I own a slightly newer version of that Sony, and it's AMAZING, but rear projections are being phased out as LCDs get cheaper. I've heard some good things about LG LCDs and the few I've seen in person look pretty nice too. For LCD TVs, I personally recommend Sony and Samsung for picture quality. Bestbuy has 40" Sony and Samsungs in the $1000 - $1300 range (check the sale prices).

So, is the off-angle view good then?

I sit on my side couch which is about 3' away and at aaaa sayyyyy 45-50 degree angle and I can see everything just fine, and watch from my loft at about 65-70 drees and see everything okay.

P.S.

I know it say out of stock, it was to be a ref of the t.v. from sony themselfs, I was saying to look around. I had gotten lucky and got my 60" from a clearence at my Costco for $1050.

i intend on getting the 50" version of this one some day.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1200703056233

a bigger tv doesn't make the experience better. you also DON'T need 1080p. on the tvs in the price range you're looking at you will NEVER notice a difference in quality. i'm probably the biggest quality snob around these parts so take my word for it.

my parents just got a 46" sharp aquos LC46D92U and it's ridiculous. i've done a lot of careful watching of 720p and 1080p video and even on that tv you can't really tell a difference. you see some things here or there but put the two side by side and you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart. that said the colour, image quality and performance on that tv is really not touched by anything else at that price and it's $1000 more than you're looking to spend. the seats are also set up about 10' from the tv and to be honest, anything bigger would be too big for the room.

i intend on getting the 50" version of this one some day.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1200703056233

a bigger tv doesn't make the experience better. you also DON'T need 1080p. on the tvs in the price range you're looking at you will NEVER notice a difference in quality. i'm probably the biggest quality snob around these parts so take my word for it.

my parents just got a 46" sharp aquos LC46D92U and it's ridiculous. i've done a lot of careful watching of 720p and 1080p video and even on that tv you can't really tell a difference. you see some things here or there but put the two side by side and you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart. that said the colour, image quality and performance on that tv is really not touched by anything else at that price and it's $1000 more than you're looking to spend. the seats are also set up about 10' from the tv and to be honest, anything bigger would be too big for the room.

I agree unless you get something like a 60" or bigger u will never really notice the difference in having a 720p, because you would more then likly get 1080i anyways if you needed it.

My fiancee likes LCD better than DLP's. She does not like the glare and reflections that you get with most DLP's that we have seen when you are not looking directly at them.

Not a DLP...it is a read proejction LCD Silly

Rear projections != LCDs (do not equal). But it still looks like a nice TV. I got my 50" Samsung from www.abesofmaine.com . Got a really good deal (both Best Buy and NewEgg were asking $2500 and I got mine for $2000) and free shipping.

I have a 52" AQUOS, and I love it. If I were looking for a 42" I'd probably still go with the Sharp. They make bloody great LCD's and aren't as expensive as Sony (typically). Samsungs have a nice picture as well, but I still prefer the AQUOS. Oh, and on a larger set you CAN tell the difference between 720p and 1080p if you have an HD player (HD DVD or BluRay), but it's still awful close, but I guessed right every time.

That being said, here's what I'd buy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16889101140

Looking at this one now, but not sure what the difference is between the 650 and 750. Samsung LN40A650

Run, don't walk, and buy that TV for that sale price. We purchased the 52" version of the 650 for our office, and it looks AMAZING. Hands-down better picture than all comparable TVs we saw. Two big thumbs up for me on that one. Bestbuy is selling it for $1899, so that price is a steal at CC!

Um...I don't know why you wouldn't buy the Aquos that's 2" larger for less money....what am I missing? The Sharp Aquos line is one of the highest rated in LCD TV's, they're cheaper than the Samsungs, and they are reputed to be more reliable, but you're going to spend more money on a slightly smaller set?????? :unsure:

Also, the Aquos is one of the few TV's that sports a 4ms response time....oh, and it COSTS LESS. The 52" version was the Consumer Reports Best Buy pick for big screen LCD's, and a lot of owners here have Sharps and are very happy with them.

I just thought I'd write this because maybe, like myself originally, you simply thought Sharp made crappy products because I only had experience with their stereos from way back when. Well, I probably still wouldn't buy other stuff they make (though I hear it's become significantly better), but man do I love my TV, and I'm a quality FREAK. In any case, I'd consider saving yourself the cash and buying the Sharp....not that the Samsung's bad, I just can't see spending the extra cash when you can get something just as good for less.

True enough, but the contrast ratio is still "high" and the dynamic contrast ratio technology on the Sharps works pretty well.

I have an older model Aquos, and it has some of the blackest blacks I've seen on an LCD--which is one of the weaknesses of an LCD.

Edited by [LaW]Maverick

That Samsung also has 4 ms response time, and when we bought our 52" we DID compare it to a Sharp and a Sony, and the Samsung had a noticeably MUCH better picture (I played with the picture settings on all of them too). For the increase in picture quality, I would be fine giving up 2 inches and another hundred bucks.

I'm not saying Sharp doesn't make great LCD TVs, though, because they do. Sharp, Samsung, and Sony are the three brands I most frequently recommend.

Think I prefer buying from a store locally. I know that I will have to pay tax, but I like the piece of mind. When I bought my monitor for bestbuy, it had 2 dead pixels. They exchanged in the store, with no questions asked.

That's why I posted up NewEgg--they're pretty good about that stuff. You can save near $500 buying it online (at least), but I understand where you're coming from completely. I bought my TV from Best Buy on one of the blow-out deals they had goin'.

Also, didn't know that Samsung had a 4ms response time.

Oh, and I compared the Samsungs, Sharps, and Sony's side by side as well in one of those hi-fi stores. For regular TV watching, Sony and Samsung have the best pictures (non HD), I will grant you that--however, I like Sharp's picture better in HD over the Samsung and the Sony...the reason being is that I think the Sharp does a better job of fully representing the color spectrum (more color depth). Especially their newer models--they've become better.

I agree with you though, that if I were going to recommend LCD brands, I'd suggest Sharp, Sony, and Samsung--oh, on a side note, I noticed a little bit of ghosting on older Samsungs when playing games (that was when the 360 launched), I'm assuming they have that problem fixed now?

In any case, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the suggestions in here, but my vote is still the Sharp :peace:

Well, I got mine from Abe's of Maine and, even though I went with their free shipping (you could upgrade so there were no in-between warehouses...i.e, TV goes from store to truck then truck to your door) and received a call from the shipping company asking me to set up a delivery time (and they gave me 3 options a day and 7 different days to choose...very flexible) then they called me the day before to verify delivery and then about an hour before it was actually delivered. All in all, I was very satisfied.

FYI, I just checked the TV we bought and it actually is the 550 series not the 650. The only major differences are the 650 is 120Hz refresh rate vs 60Hz (doubtful you would notice any difference though) slightly different contrast ratios, and the 650 has 1 more HDMI port (4 vs 3 on 550).

I will again say that the 550 Samsung visually outperformed comparables from Sony and Sharp to my eyes in picture quality and color.

Bestbuy has the Samsung 40" LN40A550 for $1350 right now. I personally would not hesitate to buy this TV for that price.