PS3. Need some help

lazarus

I will be purchasing a PS3 soon, but I know little to none about which version I should buy. Cost is not an issue, I just want the best one available.

Soooo anyone with suggestions/links/research or some personal reviews, I would really appreciate it. And no, I will not get a xbox360 (the little research I have done has pointed me away from that console)

Thanks!

I have the 80 gig version. And it is compatible with the PS2 games.

They updated the software to where you can play the older games on it. I use ps2 games in my 80 gig and they work just fine. The thing that was holding them back before was simply this...there was no memory card setup like the old ps2 software. Now they have it when you insert a ps2 game it ask you to make a virtual memory card on the hard drive. fixed!

I would get the 80 gig.

By the way--I'm not going to discourage you from getting a PS3, but I love my 360 and, although I'm buying a PS3 (eventually) for a BluRay player, the 360 is still my top choice in game systems. It just has better games (for the most part).

the 80 gig version does use software emulation, but seems to work well most of the time from what I've read--if you can find a 60 GB version it might be best, but didn't Sony launch a firmware update that killed reverse compatibility on older models?

No. I have the 20 GB one back when they first came out, and I haven't had a problem with it. I love my PS3..I've been a fan of the PlayStation since the first one. I would recommend getting the 80GB as you will only be playing the PS3 games.

When you get it and log onto the PSN network, PM me and i'll add you to my friends list.

so why is software emulation worse than hardware?

and thanks for all the feedback guys. I think I'm leaning towards one of the 60gb models or the 80 that has the software emulation and is still in production.

The original PS3 had the emotion engine chip installed, which could allow it to near perfectly mimic a PS2. Software emulation can be buggy with some games, but I don't know how much so, I've always had one of the first PS3s.

Get the MGS4 PS3 bundle, it is the best right now, updated hardware, much cooler running and I heard it is more power efficient. As for PS2 games so far it plays everything I throw at it, people that worry about software emulation seems to own over 1,000~ of PS2 library it seems lol. Plus software emulation can be updated with firmware support. The MGS4 bundle will be the last SKU to carry PS2 backward compatibility. Then again if you really want to play PS2 just grab em at gamestop or something they are cheap.

Get the MGS4 PS3 bundle, it is the best right now, updated hardware, much cooler running and I heard it is more power efficient. As for PS2 games so far it plays everything I throw at it, people that worry about software emulation seems to own over 1,000~ of PS2 library it seems lol. Plus software emulation can be updated with firmware support. The MGS4 bundle will be the last SKU to carry PS2 backward compatibility. Then again if you really want to play PS2 just grab em at gamestop or something they are cheap.

+1

I own the same system and love it.

I've had a 360 for awhile, but i just recently purchased a PS3 as well. I think they are both great. The PS3 is starting to get better games, but i wonder if made the right choice in getting the sysem. I don't play on it too much and sometimes i feel like it is just collecting dust. I guess I'm heading more into PC gaming only.

okay now here's my situation.

I have a buddy that will sell me his used regular 60gb PS3 for $400, or I can try to find a MSG4 PS3 off of ebay. What do you guys think? Should I just take the one my buddy is selling or try for the other?

Yeah, I though about getting a 360 for a little while, but the blu-ray player pushed me over the edge.

okay now here's my situation.

I have a buddy that will sell me his used regular 60gb PS3 for $400, or I can try to find a MSG4 PS3 off of ebay. What do you guys think? Should I just take the one my buddy is selling or try for the other?

Yeah, I though about getting a 360 for a little while, but the blu-ray player pushed me over the edge.

Try to talk him down as he is asking too much for a used older PS3. it is valuable due to it being fully backwards compatible with PS2 games but not at the same price as a brand new 40 GB model. You can pick up a used PS2 for 50 bucks and still come out cheaper than paying 400 for a total used one.