turkey day

stutters

True ... although this one is from 1995, so he doesn't have that old-guy hairdo yet.

I like his show, and everything I've tried of his has been phenomenal. I like the science behind his stuff.

I'd also vote for smoking a spatchcocked turkey. Frying a whole turkey feels a little to redneck for me.

One word...turducken.
if it were 20 of my closest friends and a keg of pbr, i'd be all over that. we did it once, and i just don't think it can be replicated. ever.

anyone that's deep fried a turkey swears by it. sure, it sounds redneck, but it seals the moisture in, plus you can flavor inject. that's assuming you're not in the ER before kickoff with 3rd degree burns...

i love to grill, but i'm almost ready to rule it out. i'm afraid of making the driest turkey this side of anonymo's, and i can't stand for that.

so it's either the brine or the frier. hmmmmm.

I do the brine thing. Though, some sources (e.g. Cook's Illustrated) are saying it is a bit redundant because most supermarket turkeys are already basically brined.

I still go through the routine though. 24 hours in vegetable stock/salt/aromatics. More of a ceremonial anointing, I suppose.

I also do two smaller birds (9.5 lbs each, or 4.31 kg for some of you), rather than one giant one. Shorter cook time; juicier meat; more white meat to go around. Plus, then I've got 2 carcases/4wings to make stock out of for the next day.

Of course, I've already made a brown turkey stock for the dinner itself. Never enough gravy from the birds themselves, so I roasted wings late last month and made a stock so I can supplement my gravy. After all, you've got to have enough gravy for dinner, leftovers, leftovers the next day, and the day after...

Edited by Shropshire Slasher

Fry it. And I don't care how redneck it sounds, it's the only way.

A fried turkey certainly tastes nice, but I find one major flaw: no turkey smell in the house. :(

To me, that is just as important as the turkey itself.

Also, who said we could orphan Thanksgiving anyways? I've always maintained it is the BEST holiday of them all, and now it is the red-headed something something of the holiday season. I mean, ONE DAY after Halloween the stores are filled with Christmas decorations. Last night, THE FREAKING GRINCH was on TV.

So kids, start a petition. Write your congressperson. Open your windows and shout, "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore". ANYTHING! Just don't let the bureaucrats and the corporate fat-cats rob us of our holiday!

Also beets.

A fried turkey certainly tastes nice, but I find one major flaw: no turkey smell in the house. :(

Glade came out with a turkey odorizer this year. look for it in the clearance aisle (as xmas items have already outed the thanksgiving shelf space).

Glade came out with a turkey odorizer this year. look for it in the clearance aisle (as xmas items have already outed the thanksgiving shelf space).

Cheese in a can? Turkey oderizer? It looks like this big'ol country to the south of me finally has something to offer.

Can you or should you?

Cuz, you CAN steam a turkey. You SHOULD NOT steam a turkey. That would result in a pale, flaccid, slimy mess.

Whether you adhere to the hot/low or low/hot roasting method (30 minutes of high heat at either the beginning or end) or the frying method, the result is the same. You need to cook that skin crispy brown for optimum nom.

One word...turducken.

you really doing one? my family is doing one... seriously.. got the turkey partially DE-boned and the duck/chicken fully DE-boned and good to go.. we are doing 2 different types of stuffing in the bird to..

Should be a thanksgiving of epic proportions.

Have done turkeys multiple ways... My family has a Tregor Smoker... that makes some mean turkey/meats. Also the conventional Webber charcoal grill and also if you take the bird stick it in an aluminum deep dish pan and gas grill it.. turns out quite scrumptious.

oh and deep fried turkey... done it a good 5 times... really really really good crispy skin.. and makes for some pretty juicy turkey!

Conventional baked aint bad either. just depends how you cook it... that's the key.

I do a fried turkey for Thanksgiving, and another for Christmas (although this year we're roasting for Thanksgiving and frying for Christmas). Mix equal parts of white wine and strained italian dressing and inject it all over. Make a rub with salt, cayenne, and pepper (although I think this really just makes the oil dirty). Fry away. Followed up with the frying of 2-3 sliced potatoes to clarify the oil for storage.

The best part of a fried turkey is the breast. In most that I've made, the rest can get overdone. Not sure if tying it all together more tightly, or what, would make the darker meat better.