Shopping for monitor

Bewildered

Tried to cancel my order but its too late. NewEgg rocks though, they advised me to refuse delivery, or failing that take the unopened box to Fedex and ask them to return it to the shipper and I'd be refunded fully.

Nao I go shopping for a not-so-glossy glossy Samsung monitor.

about 8 people i know got the dell w2409. it's 1920x1080 24". i bought one for my bro for christmas.

you should be able to get it for less than $300usd as it was $305cdn back in september.

that said, a 22" for $160 is ridiculous. and at least you won't need nearly as powerful a video card to run it.

Got my Samsung T220 yesterday ... refused the other package. There were 3 Samsung 22" monitors to pick from, and plenty of differing opinions on which was best for gaming. Love the new monitor. Initial setup is way to bright for gaming, but was able to tweak it ... they have a gaming profile that gets you pretty close. I found it was still way to bright for CSS. Still tweaking profiles a bit, but what I have atm is far better lighting-wise than the old monitor. Will take a little more getting used to.

So far, their software appears to be crap as none of it worked, except the driver. The driver only allows 59-60 hz vertical refresh (unless I'm doing something wrong), when apparently it should do 56-75 hz.

Apparently they have a software tool that is supposed to be better (more options) than the menus on the monitor for adjustments, but it didn't work -- looked at their site and it appears to not be supported for the T220 which begs the question, then why install it?

Neither did their natural color studio -- got the software to run in the taskbar but couldn't get their UI to pop up -- it just went away and did nothing after displaying a nice Samsung splash screen. Saw it running in the windows tasklist, but not under applications. Could not figure out how to create a profile with it. Wondering if its any different than creating a profile using the NVIDIA tools.

Hardware companies usually have crappy software tho. Love the monitor. Going to look for an updated monitor driver tonight. Yay.

In my experience, monitor drivers/software do more harm than good.

Also, lol at too bright for gaming, I can just imagine your face all scrunched up staring into this micro sun (well I could if I knew what your face looked like, but I just envision a cat with an oversized lime for a hat and I get the desired affect.)

at your max/native res you will likely only be able to do 60hz. if you drop the resolution it will let you change it to 75. either way, i'll pay you a million dollars if you can honestly say you notice a difference. i was a big fan of 100hz back when i used crt and i can tell the difference between 85 and 100 on a crt. on an lcd the difference just isn't there. i've been using 60hz now for as long as i used 100 before and my eyes are fine with little to no eye strain after hours of gaming.

at your max/native res you will likely only be able to do 60hz. if you drop the resolution it will let you change it to 75.

Ahh ... I didn't think of that.

either way, i'll pay you a million dollars if you can honestly say you notice a difference. i was a big fan of 100hz back when i used crt and i can tell the difference between 85 and 100 on a crt. on an lcd the difference just isn't there. i've been using 60hz now for as long as i used 100 before and my eyes are fine with little to no eye strain after hours of gaming.

My old monitor would do 75 at its native res, so I was surprised. I thought someone had stated once that the maximum amount of useful FPS was capped by the vertical refresh rate of the monitor. Is there any truth to that, or does that not really matter?

my 19" at native res 1280x1024 will do 75hz but my 24" at 1920x1200 will not. it varies by monitor but i've yet to see anything larger than a 19" supporting more than 60hz at max/native res.