Shopping for monitor

Bewildered

Shopping for a larger monitor and I'm curious if my video card will be good enough to support a larger resolution.

Video Card

I'm thinking 24": any opinions 1920x 1200 vs 1920 x 1080 ?

Also, I find that I am very confused (bewildered actually) about aspect ratios.

Fullscreen: 1280x1024

Widescreen: 1440x900

So, assuming both are 17" monitors would a game look:

A. larger on the widescreen but the viewport isn't as tall?

B. same size on the widescreen but have a wider viewport?

C. Bewildered is stooopid

I started purchasing a 22", and then realized that the vertical dimension would be about the same as the vertical dimension on my 17" :(

Why is this so confusing?

Uh, too much eggnog?

I've never seen a 24" PC LCD monitor at any other resolution than 1920x1200, usually if the resolution is 1920x1080 it's really just a small TV.

My 7600 GS runs my 24" LCD at 1920x1200 just fine. Doesn't run games all that great obviously but with an 8800 you should be fine (not running Crysis at max but you shouldn't have any problems running CSS)

1280x1024 is 5:4 aspect ratio (often lumped in with TV size which is 4:3, just a slight difference)

1920x1200 and 1680x1050 and 1440x900 are 16:10 (computer screens)

1920x1080 and 1280x720 are 16:9 (TV screens)

Because screen sizes are measured diagonally, a 17" widescreen monitor will appear smaller than a 17" non-widescreen vertically.

In games you gain a wider field of view without loosing much from the vertical aspect.

To put it in a way that maybe will make sense to you (long shot) a standard 17" monitor (5:4) turned 90 degrees is the same vertical height as a 24" widescreen

Yeah, it totally depends on the size. Once you get up past around 30" what you are getting typically are called large format displays and they are more or less just LCD TV's with more PC related connectors on them. If you go that big you want the 1920x1080 since that is 1080 HD

What is your price range?

300 or less

I had a Hans-G 22" for like 159 or so in my cart, and then I canceled when I realized the vertical dimension would be same as my 17" -- and now I am unsure if objects in a game would appear larger on that monitor or not ... and I'm not sure even after looking at these screenshots of CSS in both formats. I don't care if I can see more ... I want the stuff I can see to be larger. :D

*Edit* Oh umm ... maybe I just needed to unshrink the screenshots and view em at 100% 8P)

Edited by Bewildered

I am not sure if you are going to be able to get that for 300. If you go wide screen format you are going to need a 24" or larger for the same resolution to display a larger image. So, I would think what you are more looking for would be say a 28" wide or larger. That would give you a nice big display on high resolution but it is going to cost you 400+ depending what you get. I think newegg might have some 26" open boxes for under 300 right now. When it comes to computer components I am big on wait longer, by better gear. You might want to wait a month or two and tuck back a couple extra dollars with that 300 to get yourself a really nice large display that you will totally love.

To put it in a way that maybe will make sense to you (long shot) a standard 17" monitor (5:4) turned 90 degrees is the same vertical height as a 24" widescreen
90 degrees witch way!?

pls close autocad and step away from the puter

90 degrees witch way!?

90 degrees is always clockwise, 90 degrees counter-clockwise is really either -90 degrees or 270 degrees...nub.

90 degrees witch way!?

90 degrees is always clockwise, 90 degrees counter-clockwise is really either -90 degrees or 270 degrees...nub.

In math 90 degrees (ie. pi/2) is always counter-clockwise, and negative degrees is clockwise. :smiling2:

Edit: Though, of course you're talking about rotation. :) I'm just learning to read.

Edited by dragonfly

lol who looks at the casing? Personally I was looking into getting a larger monitor and ended up getting a 32" TV instead. I've very happy with it and it makes watching movies better :)

Gaming is a tad harder I think on anything bigger than 22" if you don't sit back from it though.