Looking at Cars

samurai nightling

So I'm looking at cars right now because I'll have a job in June and i need my own ride.

I'm also looking to move out, and my wage isn't going to be huge (between 35-45K a year) but i want a NEW car, hopefully. Or one that is only a year or 2 old without a million miles on it.

I'm lookin for a little bit of power so its fun to drive but affordable for me and having decent gas mileage.

Cars I've been looking at:

Subaru Impreza (WRX??)

Mitsubishi Lancer (09' Ralliart??)

VW Jetta

Scion Tc

Pontiac G5 or G6

Chevy Cobalt

Just wondering what some of you guys think of cars that are out today or have any suggestions for a first time buyer. (I know most people will tell me to buy a used car, I'll think about it.)

So, feel free to give any input and links to some cars!

Edited by samurai nightling

VW is a great car, I own an 07 now...no problems at all....although, if you get a manual trans, look for a 6 speed as my 5th gear could be geared a bit higher...it sits at almost 4000 rpm doing 80, which is no problem if you dont drive highway alot...or do 80 alot, but I do, and the mileage could be better at that speed if the rpm's were lower. 6 speeds or automatics don't have that issue.

Subaru, also an awesome car, can't go wrong with there either.

Mitsubishi...great when it's new and everything works...but when it gets older and things break, it gets expensive, and tough to work on yourself if youre into that.

Scion is basically Toyota for all practical purposes, so you should be fine, although I have no real world experience with the Scion line...the only issue I can foresee is having to get any parts that you may need directly from them as the aftermarket will be lacking for some time.

As for your other choices...there is nothing that really excites me about the american offerings right now, not as reliable or as stylish as your other choices. The Pontiacs you mentioned are the best pick of any I guess...but the styling is pretty lame and typical Pontiac...nothing fresh.

Hope this helps, happy hunting!

You might want to add the Mazda 3 to the list, preferably the Mazadaspeed model. The regular models are great too. The Mazda 3 is the best compact money can buy. My opinion and the opinions of many car magazines. The hatchback is really cool. Look into it.

See the mazdaspeed 3 has been ranked better then the WRX and lancer when it comes to well, everything but the price is a bit high. I wouldn't mind getting that but I'm not a huge hatchback fan. The Mazda 3 i have seen doesn't exactly come with as much stuff as the other ones or the power, but i honestly haven't looked at them since like last year.

I was looking at the new Toyota Corolla today, the XRS version. It has the larger 2.4 liter engine at 158HP which is what you get with a baseline Lancer and other similar cars anyways, and amazing gas mileage compared to others. It's also so cheap for what you get, I'm really looking into the Corolla now.

I really want that Lancer Ralliart, but i know they are expensive to get repairs done on, plus its a bit pricey at like $28,000. It comes with almost everything i already want (power, decent gas mileage, AWD, ABS, etc.) except at a higher price cuz its well, worth it if you look at the specs.

The only good investment in a car is to purchase an old one. All new cars are worthless in 10 years whereas an old car (69 Chevelle for example) gains value every year.

You can find good gas milage cars that are older as well, like a 50's or 60's VW Beetle or an MG. Ebay has a wealth of really cool cars that will have people lining up to look at your ride.

For around $9000 you can get something absolutely awesome. For around $4000 you can get a very good car that can be driven while you work on it.

I drive a 1969 Buick Skylark that has less than 70,000 original miles on it that I picked up for $3000. I got an insane deal, but you can too if you look for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks...%3A1|240%3A1318

If I were to get a new car.. I would go with a Honda S2000 (if you want a RWD) or a Lancer Evo (if you're going AWD). A Ralliart is basically a de-tuned Evo. I'm more performance oriented but as a daily driven, non modified car... The ralliart is great. I highly recommend an S2000. =]

Take a look at a Nissan Altima or Honda Accord, both have Coupe versions too look sportier.

I know people who own each of those, both love them.

Any reason you would be against a lease? I know lots of people are because your basically renting the car. Ive leased my last 2 cars mainly because I like changing cars every 2-3 years. I had a 2006 mustang and was only paying 285, not I have a 2008 X-Terra and im paying the same, never put any money down on either car.

The good thing is that if gas goes back up very badly I can turn in my x-Terra and say see ya to the dealership and not worry about trying to sell it with gas so high.

Never get a straight out normal lease though, wait for them to run deals, usually happens mid summer before the next year models come out.

Its sometimes a cheaper route to get the car you like, then in 2-3 years you can grab one you really like and can afford at that time. You were in the same position I was 2-3 years ago money wise, I wanted the nice car and didnt wanna pay as much as a full car payment.

**But I would like to add that if you can get 0.00 apr buying is better than leasing dependent on your loan terms.

See the mazdaspeed 3 has been ranked better then the WRX and lancer when it comes to well, everything but the price is a bit high. I wouldn't mind getting that but I'm not a huge hatchback fan. The Mazda 3 i have seen doesn't exactly come with as much stuff as the other ones or the power, but i honestly haven't looked at them since like last year.

I was looking at the new Toyota Corolla today, the XRS version. It has the larger 2.4 liter engine at 158HP which is what you get with a baseline Lancer and other similar cars anyways, and amazing gas mileage compared to others. It's also so cheap for what you get, I'm really looking into the Corolla now.

I really want that Lancer Ralliart, but i know they are expensive to get repairs done on, plus its a bit pricey at like $28,000. It comes with almost everything i already want (power, decent gas mileage, AWD, ABS, etc.) except at a higher price cuz its well, worth it if you look at the specs.

Options and accessories are all great, but a bigger consideration should be on how the car drives, feels, and responds "well". For example, a car can go really fast and have great lateral g limits, but if it does this in an unrefined manner, then I think a car with lower numbers with a buttoned-down characteristic should be chosen. Remember, you'll rarely reach the limits of a car on a daily basis and should concentrate on how it feels with your "normal" driving. It's not how fast you go... It's how well you go fast. I'm saying this since you seem performance oriented.

I have an American 6.2L, brute of an SUV (extensive performance upgrades w/450+hp and will haul butt) and a very refined German tourer... They both have very similar performance figures, except that there's no comparison on how refined the German car feels and I don't have to fight to keep the car in control like the SUV. Granted I'm comparing two different categories of cars, but on a lesser extend, you're doing the same with the cars on your buy list. They all have different characteristics (FWD, AWD, turbo, non turbo, ride harshness, different trannys, etc.). Drive all the cars and pick the most refined one. I've owned more than a dozen cars since I started driving and I always miss the one that drove "well" and not the one that went the fastest. That's my 2 pennies folks.

btw, notice that I've said "refined" like a hundred times? It's important. :luxhello:

If you're definitely going to be buying new I would definitely look at "potential" residual costs when you look to change it in 3-6 years time and running costs based on where you are age and life wise.

But from an advice standpoint, you should really look at picking up something 1-3 years old with low mileage, you should be able to get some great deals at the moment. I recently bought a 5 month old BMW from the dealer at about 25-30% off the new price with less than 5,000 miles on the clock. It's a great time to push on sticker prices, particularly on used inventory.

I'd agree with Shoot around refinement, but having said that, if I hadn't had some of the terrible cars I had in the past I wouldn't appreciate the cars I have today in quite the same way.

(edited)

How far of a commute will you have?

After being in your shoes a couple years ago, I would advise against buying or leasing anything where you are going to commit yourself to $300+ car payment for the next 3-5 years. Unless you have a killer commute or need an extremely reliable vehicle, I'd recommend finding something for 4-6k that will get you through the next couple of years... so your payments, AND insurance will be affordable. Considering you're also going to be moving into your ownplace, the expenses are really going to add up.. In a couple years your salary will have increased and you'll have saved some $ that you can put down on a new car / slightly used car that you will really appreciate and own for > 5 years.

Edited by mohawk

Ok to answer some questions.

My commute to my job from my parents house where I'm currently living is about 25-30 minutes on the highway. I'd say like 20-25 miles away. I haven't a clue where I want to move to, so who knows what kind of commute I'll have once i move out.

As for what i really want out of the car, I want something that accelerates very quickly (for merging in traffic, passing other cars/trucks, and occassionally showing off :) ), not necessarily having a fast top speed. Thats why I'm looking for good HP and torque to go with it.

I really wanna own my first car, but i know leasing is a good deal sometimes. I'm not looking to buy some huge gas guzzler SUV or even a huge sport car that has horrible gas mileage, but something that maybe I can sell if need be after a few years. I think something like the Lancer Ralliart would still sell after a few years, even if its to some snotty high school/college kid looking for a cool car.

The way i figure, i want to get my "fun" car now before I'm married with kids because i can already see that's not too far off in the future. (Dating my gf for 6 years now) If I don't go for it now, who knows when i can except maybe retirement, psh yeah I'm not waiting that long.

Also, i don;t think i mentioned but I would also preferably have an AWD car, hence the Ralliarat, WRX, etc. in my choice of vehicles. Winter here can get a little snowy but not too huge so i can still get around well. I'm currently driving a Jeep Compass 4x4 and its my first 4 wheel drive car, world of difference when there's just a little bit of slick on the roads. RW drive is kinda out of my choice of cars, I don't feel like dealing with rear wheel drive in the winter.

Hope this answers some more questions, still looking!

(edited)

WRX should be your top choice. You'll love it (I love mine). It's not just a car - it a culture.

Get a new one if you can, very good deal on power upgrade compared to '08 model with marginal price increase. Or if you're getting a used one research the hell out of it. They can be pretty beat up.

Edited by Vovik

• 3 weeks later...

I'll agree with preacher and I will disagree with preacher..

I've gone through 6 or 7 vehicles in 4 years. What I've learned from my experience is I would never buy a new one. I made some smart purchases and some not so smart purchases. But I have walked away with invaluable knowledge.

After doing so much trading, I decided to stop spending money on cars and get into something else. So my last purchase had to be a good one.

Where I disagree is that if you take your time, $5000 will buy an excellent vehicle that needs no work. Heck, I bought a 6 year old honda civic with 75k miles on it for $5200, zero problems, ex model with factory sport rims and even had two new tires. Last November I picked up a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo with 45k miles on it for $5,000. Nothing needed to be done to the vehicle and it was spotless inside and out. Figure out what you want, keep an eye out for it and take your time. I know people love the rush of buying a car and just want to get it.. but think about this..

Although you might think it's work finding a good used car, you are getting paid for it in the end. Seriously, if you just went to the dealer and bought the vehicle I just picked up, You would have spent 3500-4500 more. Taking your time and hoping on a good deal is like a free 4000 in your pocket if you just take your time.

Oh and rule number 2) Always use cash.

Edited by .fx

• 1 month later...
(edited)

So i found the car that i want to buy. I'm going to test drive one next week. The all new, 2010 Mazda 3. Remodeled to look pretty dang sleek if you ask me, and the s Sport version comes with EVERYTHING you could want in the car, for a meager $19,410. Automatic everything, 17" rims, dual exhaust, spoiler, keyless entry, same engine as the base Mazda6, halogen headlights, welcome lighting on floor, CD/mp3 radio, and more. MPG is 21/29 city/hwy. It's perfect for what i need, and looks good to boot.

MAZDA3 site Check it out and tell me your guys thoughts.

Oh i forgot to mention traction and stability control come standard on that model also, along with ABS, front/side airbags, and a tilt/telescopic steering wheel. You don;t see the telescoping ones in many cars that are lower in price.

Edited by samurai nightling

• 1 month later...

Got my loan yesterday, blank check will be here tomorrow, er today now i guess? Either buying today or tomorrow for the April deal on the Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. $1500 cash back, plus the store has an extra $1000 off any new Mitsu. And i think i can talk them down even more since i will write them a check from the bank loan which is like me giving them cash for the car right away. My starting bid will be like $13000 lol.

They found me a car that i want, since they only had 1 car in the model i wanted, and it was like an aqua metallic baby blue, gross. But it should be here by next week since its currently in route from Japan still. Can't wait!

Which one did you get? I REALLY liked the mazda 3

I am getting the Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, if the stupid dealership ever goes and gets the car. They said they have to wait for it to appear on the inventory of the other dealer in Virginia before they can go get it. He said maybe by next week and for sure by the end of the month. I think they're just delaying having to make the trip to get it. I really liked the Mazda3 also when i test drove it, but its more expensive, and didn't have any incentives off to make me want to buy it. The Lancer is really nice too, and I think I'm going to enjoy it!

LOL so the jerks finally called me and said the car they had found was listed wrong in the inventory, and hence not the car i wanted. I went and got my $500 deposit back for them searching for a car and failing to do so, and I am currently trying to purchase a Mazda3 s Sport tomorrow. I went today and talked to the dealship, and I'm getting $1100 off and possibly a good interest rate less than 5.5%. If everything pans out, I'll have the Mazda3 tomorrow night! I was so mad with the Mitsubishi dealship, grrrrrrrrrrrr.