HDMI cables and PS3's

ZeroDamage

I am comparing HDMI cables and am seeing that the 80 dollar package at Bestbuy is around 55 bucks at walmart. That's if I want to spend money on USB cables along with the package which is something that I do not need. I am thinking the 25 dollar HDMI cable at Walmart may be okay but I've had bad luck with video/audio accessories that are not Sony or Microsoft banded for the consoles I've dealt with the past couple of years.

Has anyone tried any of the more generic cables at like Walmart when it comes to HDMI and they work without a problem? I learned that my cable company does HD programming with a free DVR for only 17 bucks extra a month. My current DVR that is NOT HD costs me 13 bucks now. It is almost a free upgrade for me with better Image Quality. Be nice if the DVR does upscaling.

Any thoughts and experiences with the generics whether they be the PS3 or normal use ones?

I bought a "generic" HDMI cable off Newegg last summer for all of $15 (I think) for 6' of cable. Image quality looks great to me! I've used it with my Xbox 360 and upscaling DVD player, and DVR/digital cable box and not noticed any difference (I have a Microsoft xbox hdmi set - needed it for the digital audio dongle).

From what I have read, you'll have a tough time distinguishing picture/audio quality differences until you start getting into longer cables and more potential sources for interference.

(edited)

I buy the cheapest one I can find online. It's digital. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't.. none of this more $ == better picture.

I've had mine for over 3 years and it still works the same, no quality loss, would buy again A++++++++

I see them come across slickdeals all the time, 2 for $6.99 or so.

Edited by .fx

My PS3 menu shows in 1080p with my component cables (5 connectors. temporary until I get my HDMI) but my Blu-Ray movies are downscaling to 480i. I wonder if it is normal to do that without HDMI...? I looked through all of my menus and cannot find anything to make it not do that.

My PS3 menu shows in 1080p with my component cables (5 connectors. temporary until I get my HDMI) but my Blu-Ray movies are downscaling to 480i. I wonder if it is normal to do that without HDMI...? I looked through all of my menus and cannot find anything to make it not do that.

Some TVs won't accept a 1080p signal over component but that shouldn't be the case if the PS3 menu shows in 1080p. Honestly I'm not sure how using HDMI cables will solve that unless your TV is just weird about it.

And like fx and Norg already said, all HDMI cables are the same. A digital signal will either get to it's destination or not, there's no in between (in terms of quality or otherwise). Currently we're finally seeing the bigger retailers quit the whole HDMI scam but it's still going on (and probably will never subside as long as people keep buying Monster products).

Some TVs won't accept a 1080p signal over component but that shouldn't be the case if the PS3 menu shows in 1080p. Honestly I'm not sure how using HDMI cables will solve that unless your TV is just weird about it.

And like fx and Norg already said, all HDMI cables are the same. A digital signal will either get to it's destination or not, there's no in between (in terms of quality or otherwise). Currently we're finally seeing the bigger retailers quit the whole HDMI scam but it's still going on (and probably will never subside as long as people keep buying Monster products).

HDMI supports a feature of a handshaking with the display, to ensure its an authorised display and not some device to capture the HD video in an unauthorized medium. Component is an analog signal and obviously cannot do this, your blu ray discs are probably telling the PS3 not to do full HD except on an authorized HDMI display, so it down scales.

I remember reading this feature about hdmi back in the day, I know its in the spec but I can't say if its one of the features the companies use. But from the sound of it, it appears so.

Yeah, setting the PS3 to 1080i while on the component cables made it stay on 1080i which sure beats 480i. I will have to wait for those cables which should be here next week. I will tell you now that even 1080i looks great. Been watching Band Of Brother on Blu Ray. Great series.

• 2 years later...

All my HDMI cables in the house came from Walmart and were only like $15.. They look great and when I matched them up with my older Monster cable there was no difference AT ALL!!! Don't waste your money buying expensive cables when a $15 cord will work just as good :)