anyone good at math?

Ringadon

I"m pulling an all-nighter tonight to finish up a project and I can't remember an equation that I need. if you take a right triangle base and draw an arc between the two legs at their ends how do you find the length of the arc. in my case (and in the example provided) I have x = 5 and y = 3 and I'm trying to find z might want to note that the numbers provided are arbitrary and I'm trying to get this info so I can better make a scale replica of a roll top desk.

post-3235-1235627928.jpg

Edited by Ringadon

in quick answer to the questions asked <xy is a right angle/ x and y are perpendicular/ the exterior angle of xy is 270

I'm looking for the equation that spits out the arc length of z

Also, it no longer really matters but now I want to know for future reference

Ring

Edited by Ringadon

I'm translating this as "The project was due an hour ago, so I'm hosed since no one came up with the answer in the middle of the night. But thanks for playing, guys."

:D

If you had asked this question 4 years ago, I might have been able to help you. Sorry.

K. Not knowing what course this is for or the nature of the assignment, I'll just offer the following:

Stutters link is on the right path. Your problem involves the arc length of a space curve. In this case, the best way to proceed is to express your (assumed) elliptical arc in parametric form: x(t) = 5*cos(t), y(t)=3*sin(t).

Now, form the derivatives x'(t)=dx/dt=5*sin(t) and y'(t)=dy/dt=-3*cos(t).

Now, compute the arclength by the definite integral of dt over the range [0,2*Pi]. The integrand for the integral is SQRT[x'^2+y'^2].

This will yield the full perimeter of the ellipse, now divide by 4. Alternately, limit your range to [0,Pi/2].

Problem is, you end up with an Elliptical Integral of the Second Kind. The evaluation of which is an infinite series. See http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CompleteEllip...SecondKind.html

Not sure what your instructor intended for you here. Other than not to try and do it at 12:58 the night before it was due. :wiggle2:

I'm translating this as "The project was due an hour ago, so I'm hosed since no one came up with the answer in the middle of the night. But thanks for playing, guys."

Actually quite the opposite. I turned it in about 2 hours ago with the item I was asking the question about finished. The reason I posted it in the first place was because I was massively sleep deprived and couldn't think of what I needed. I ended up using trial and error to figure out how large I needed the roll part of my roll top desk to be. Thanks to everyone helping out.

Even though I figured it out in a way that was really pretty easy I always like to know the math in doing things.

Ring

Actually quite the opposite. I turned it in about 2 hours ago with the item I was asking the question about finished. The reason I posted it in the first place was because I was massively sleep deprived and couldn't think of what I needed. I ended up using trial and error to figure out how large I needed the roll part of my roll top desk to be. Thanks to everyone helping out.

Even though I figured it out in a way that was really pretty easy I always like to know the math in doing things.

Ring

Shop class?

Cuz if this was for Woods 101, then you shoulda just taken a piece of string, laid it on your template, then stretched it across your tape measure.

You made me bust out Mathematica. Goof.

;)

Ring

Shop class?

Cuz if this was for Woods 101, then you shoulda just taken a piece of string, laid it on your template, then stretched it across your tape measure.

You made me bust out Mathematica. Goof.

;)

Actually, Theatre Design Seminar. Building 1/4 scale models of set pieces with nothing to actually base anything off of but the picture in our heads. (I had to draft out the ground plan and then create the pieces to put in it. all in all about a 12 hour job - the reading and re-reading of the play) I eventually ended up making something that seemed a little big to me but should also be able to hide an entire person in (which was kind of the idea when you're designing the set for a production of The Front Page. Besides, when a person is interested in learning it shouldn't be begrudgingly provided. :P

Ring

0.166666 of a hole.

Isn't that still one hole? never said how deep a hole it had to be did he?

Same thing as dragonfly's question - we don't know enough about the "job". Is it something that can be divided amongst workers?

If it takes 1 woman 9 months to have a baby, how long would it take 9 women? :P

Shrop wins :)

If a number is assigned to each letter of the alphabet such that a=1, b=2, ... etc, then what is the product of the following:

( t - a )( t - B )( t - c )...( t - z )? If you can't do this in your head you suck at math. You don't need a calculator, just think about it logically.

Edited by dragonfly

If a number is assigned to each letter of the alphabet such that a=1, b=2, ... etc, then what is the product of the following:

( t - a )( t - B )( t - c )...( t - z )? If you can't do this in your head you suck at math.

I have my doubts. If if a man takes 1 minute to put in a light bulb how long would it take 100 men to put in the same light bulb?

( t - a )( t - B )( t - c )...( t - z )? If you can't do this in your head you suck at math.

I have my doubts. If if a man takes 1 minute to put in a light bulb how long would it take 100 men to put in the same light bulb?

Oh, that's easy. They're outside so they don't need a light bulb. Bush bush bush. :P

Though, mine has an answer that's easier than most think. Doesn't even involve a complicated formula.

Edited by dragonfly

If 3 guys can dig 3 holes in 3 days, how many holes can one guy dig in half a day?

0.166666 of a hole.

Isn't that still one hole? never said how deep a hole it had to be did he?

Shaftiel

Shaft is right. Usually people say "Half a hole". No such thing as half a hole, just a smaller hole.