I haven't died... yet...

dragonfly

Hey guys!

I haven't died yet, as you already read in the topic title. It's much worse than that - I'm a first-year teacher.

Right now I'm actually living in a town called Emo in NW Ontario. It has a booming population of 1200 or so, and that's why it's taken me 4 1/2 weeks of living here to get the internet.

Now that I am connected to the world again I dont really have much time for that sort of thing. In a 4 period day I'm teaching 5 classes - 3 maths, a physics and a business course. I love the school/kids, but the work load is pretty demanding. Oh yeah, and I'm the IT contact for the school, so if there's a problem they call me.

Anyway, wanted to stop in and say hi, I miss it here, and who knows next time I'll be back. :)

Congrats on the wedding Jiffy!

Sounds like you got it made. The more responsibility you have the better. Kids dive into physics in high school now? I wish they offered that when I was a kid; I would of been more interested in math.

Does the grass cut itself in the small town of Emo? :lol2:

Edited by ThruX

lol So many grass jokes.

The school is about 34 kids or so (high school only for that number). But the elementary school is next door, which makes it GREAT for getting the students helping with the younger children, teaching them that responsibility, etc.

As for the $$$ I get double cheques a week apart in June to cover June/July, and I got one August 31 (though that was my first official day of work). Gonna try to kill the student loans in about 2 years (34k ish). Oh, and no, I don't work summers.

This last summer I got to do some fun stuff. As a grad gift I went skydiving - so much fun!!! 11k feet, free-fell for 35-40 seconds. I also went to Canada's Wonderland (6 flags place with roller coasters, etc), played lots of halo3, worked at camp (of course), etc.

I'll have to post pics someday when I get some time. I still have to mark tests tonight (it's 9:30 already). Nice to hear from you guys!

Hey guys!

I haven't died yet, as you already read in the topic title. It's much worse than that - I'm a first-year teacher.

Right now I'm actually living in a town called Emo in NW Ontario. It has a booming population of 1200 or so, and that's why it's taken me 4 1/2 weeks of living here to get the internet.

Now that I am connected to the world again I dont really have much time for that sort of thing. In a 4 period day I'm teaching 5 classes - 3 maths, a physics and a business course. I love the school/kids, but the work load is pretty demanding. Oh yeah, and I'm the IT contact for the school, so if there's a problem they call me.

Well, Kid...thus it begins. All those drunken nights I was on playing ONS cursing the world...yeah...that was 12 years of teaching high school.

I can say that since starting in 1996, I've never been bored at my job. They really lay it on first year teachers. The time will fly, and years from now, when you are old (at least feeling old) you will wonder where the time went. The kids keep you young, and unlike most of the population who isn't in the public service field, you can say that you lived a part of your life to serve total strangers.

Never let them give you S*** about "teachers work 8-3:30 and get all summer off..." You earn your pay in this job, with the weekends, the late nights, and doing everything to help the kids but get them dressed and feed them. You have a physical, mental, emotional stake in the future of other humans, and that means more than a salary, a title, or any bonus.

Good on ya bro!