New Cell Phone Plan

ATT or Verizon?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, so I'm not sure if i should go smartphone or basic phone, ATT or Verizon, yadda yadda. I would love to have something like the iphone or droid, but are they really worth paying the extra money when you HAVE to get the $30 data per month? Do most of you guys who have it use the data, or mostly just text with people? I was recently pricing this stuff and the fact that for 2 smartphones for me and the fiance would cost roughly $150 a month for the cheapest minute plan and data made me almost sick. So here I am, looking for advice, and anything would be helpful. Trying to get the most out of a cell phone but still save some money, maybe, possibly?

Edited by samurai nightling

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love having Google at my fingertips everywhere I am...however, they are right, if you don't NEED it, you could get away with a standard phone with no worries.

If you get data, get Verizon--they have waaay better data coverage, and they are faster most of the time. Sprint, believe it or not, is the fastest with decent data reliability, but their voice kinda sucks compared to AT&T and VZW. VZW is the best all-around-coverage.

There was a rather large study done by an independent company that agrees with what I just said, but I can't seem to find the link. I will repost if I can find it

Maverick' date='22 March 2010 - 12:52 PM' timestamp='1269276758' post='479480']

I love having Google at my fingertips everywhere I am...however, they are right, if you don't NEED it, you could get away with a standard phone with no worries.

If you get data, get Verizon--they have waaay better data coverage, and they are faster most of the time. Sprint, believe it or not, is the fastest with decent data reliability, but their voice kinda sucks compared to AT&T and VZW. VZW is the best all-around-coverage.

There was a rather large study done by an independent company that agrees with what I just said, but I can't seem to find the link. I will repost if I can find it

+1 to this whole post.

Had Sprint, liked it, didn't love it. Have VZW now, love the service. That said, I need e-mail and internet capabilities at my job for my blackberry. If you don't NEED it, save the money and get a decent messaging phone.

Yeah I think we will both be getting good messaging phones with full keyboards etc, but neither of us NEED the data for our jobs or anything, so i think ill save about $60 and not get it. Unlimited text is a must though, even though i haven't ever had text up until this point, i plan on using it a lot once i do get it. My fiance probably sends about 5000 texts a month, i dunno really but its a lot lol.

orly?

189592-laptopchart2x_original.gif

http://www.pcworld.com/article/189592/

I take it this chart only applies to areas where ATT actually HAS 3G coverage :P

VZW's 3G coverage is much more widespread. I'd rather have more areas with good data service than a few areas with very good data service!

I take it this chart only applies to areas where ATT actually HAS 3G coverage :P

VZW's 3G coverage is much more widespread. I'd rather have more areas with good data service than a few areas with very good data service!

+1

"If I had a signal, this webpage would be loaded SO FAST!"

+1

"If I had a signal, this webpage would be loaded SO FAST!"

Haha...agreed--all you have to do is look at AT&T's own updated 3G map. Where they have coverage, it is LIGHTNING fast now--they were getting beat by Sprint before, but it seems they fixed that. However, I'd rather be able to surf everywhere rather than in 13 cities. :peace:

Refresh my memory, didn't you drop AT&T due to spotty coverage?

If you are looking for value, take a look at T-Mobile. They have great speeds IF you are in a metro that has good 3G coverage, and the price is great. I have been with them for 7 years and the customer service is unmatched. They were actually rated #1 in customer service by someone...JD Power or something....look it up if you care, lol.

The coverage is no where near Verizon, who's customer service is hell...but I think the big picture looks promising in the near future with T-Mobile rolling out their HSPA+ network this year. It's already in the Philly area, and they have been building up for this for the last few years with plans to roll out 100 major metros by the end of the year.

They have been behind the others, but I would look for that to change in the future.

I would choose verizon or a cdma phone over ATT/Tmobile(GSM). I have the mytouh, droid. I use the google voice app to get free outgoing calls and free text messaging. Just set your google voice to one of your my favs. I only have 300 minutes, but I never go over 100 because of free outgoing calls. I also get 20% of my bill because of where I work. $60 a month after its all said and done is worth it to me. If my bill was around $80 or higher, I certainly wouldn't have gotten it.

(edited)

So after visiting the Verizon website, the only phones that I can get that don't require a data plan of at least $9.99 or higher are some crappy phones. None of them even have a full keyboard which i wanted for texting. This sucks pretty hard. I'm beginning to think I'm going to look at some other companies that may offer at least phones with a full keyboard without a data requirement.

I take it back they have ONE phone with a QWERTY keyboard. And I don't want it...

• 2 weeks later...

I was a person who always believed a cell phone was just a phone to talk on. That was until I purchased my Blackberry. I use the :o out of it. And it has really come in handy in many situations.

Sprint has the plan to beat for smart/data phones in my opinion. The only limit they place on the plan is your regular minutes to a land line. Unlimited data, text (sms and mms), mobile to mobile (any carrier), nights and weekends. If you use your phone a lot for texting and data alone, this plan is unbeatable. ATT and Verizon are pretty high on their data plans for my taste. I should also mention that I get a discount through all 3 companies from my employer. Even with a discount, ATT and Verizon data plans WITH limited data plans were higher than the Sprint unlimited plan. As long as you can get coverage in your area, you don't HAVE to have the iPhone, and you are wanting a smart phone, go with Sprint. My two cents.

Well I still have yet to get a new plan or phone. Holding off because as of right now I'm still on the parents cell plan and well its saving me money. At least until my dad decides to kick me off of it lol. But I'm still thinking of going ATT with no data and the unlimited text. I'm not sure if Sprint gets coverage around here. But it's pretty close to a larger city so I'm sure they probably do.

• 3 months later...

Bringing this topic back from the dead to update what i just got last weekend.

I did end up getting AT&T for a service provider. Simply because i got the lowest minutes and they have rollover, plus a great weekend deal on a phone i liked. I get zero signal at work though, which i hate. (ground floor of a hospital)

The phone i got is the HTC Aria which runs on Android 2.1. I got the unlimited text and 2GB data plan. I'll lower it to 200mb if i don't seem to use that much data after a couple months to save $10/month.

Quick question though, is there a way you can ever update the Android version u have, and also, what are some of the best apps to download for android? That is all, thanks!

Bringing this topic back from the dead to update what i just got last weekend.

I did end up getting AT&T for a service provider. Simply because i got the lowest minutes and they have rollover, plus a great weekend deal on a phone i liked. I get zero signal at work though, which i hate. (ground floor of a hospital)

The phone i got is the HTC Aria which runs on Android 2.1. I got the unlimited text and 2GB data plan. I'll lower it to 200mb if i don't seem to use that much data after a couple months to save $10/month.

Quick question though, is there a way you can ever update the Android version u have, and also, what are some of the best apps to download for android? That is all, thanks!

The Aria is an OK phone--unfortunately a bit locked down by AT&T. However,you can root it here. Why root? It allows you to do things like WiFi tether and what not for free. In all honesty, however, I would ditch AT&T if you're still within your return period and go get a better phone on a different provider with no data caps. In a busy month, I use around 4 GB of data, and AT&T's international data rates (if you ever travel) are HORRIBLE. Oh, and roll-over minutes DO EXPIRE, read carefully. Aaaanyway, I digress.

Apps to download:

~Lookout (anti-virus)

~Advanced Task Killer (remember to configure to only close the programs you don't want to keep open)

~SNesoid (SNES emu)

~NESoid (NES emu)

~psx4droid (PSX emu)

~Poynt (dern handy location-based app)

~Nook (they have a lot of free eBooks)

~CardioTrainer (great workout program)

~Barcode Scanner

~ColorNote (best note taking app I've found)

~Voice Recorder (great voice-note app)

~Talk To Me (on the fly translator)

~Trap! (addictive game)

~Key Ring (replaces your membership cards)

~Astro File Manager

~DroidLight (may not work on Aria)

~SetCPU if you root

~Adobe Reader

~AppMonster (back up your apps)

~Barnacle if you root (make a WiFi hotspot using your phone's connection)

~Dropbox

~Goggles (Google Goggles...it's just cool)

~Zedge (for ringtones and such--free)

~WeatherBug (prolly the best weather app--at least that I've found)

~SoundHound (listens to music and tells you what it is)

~Google Voice (can help you save minute)

That should get you started...

Yeah, I just broke contract with Verizon a little while ago to ditch the Blackberry. The BB was a great phone for apps, but not so great for call quality.

I was looking at the Droid X (Verizon), HTC Aria (AT&T) and HTC Evo 4G (Sprint). I went with the Evo 4g, and it's an amazing phone. It just updated automatically to 2.2 recently (full flash 10 support - whoo!). And the Evo edged out the Aria slightly because of the second front-facing camera (videophone), 4G, nicer screen, and the kickstand.

I'm with Mav - try to get out of AT&T if you can. If Sprint is in your area, you can save some bucks by switching to them (and they still have unlimited data plans). Verizon has great coverage, you can't go wrong with them either.

+1 to the following apps:

Advanced Task Killer

SNESoid (FF3? yes please)

Barcode scanner

Voice recorder comes standard with o/s 2.2

And here are a few I didn't see listed:

MusicJunk (it's like Napster for phones)

ZombiesLive (addicting game)

(edited)

haha i was just thinking today that i want to go with Verizon now instead of AT&T just so i can get reception at work, and i really like the HTC Droid Incredible. I do love the android OS, its nice and fun to use. If i cancel within 30 days i don't have to pay the cancellation fees, so i still have over 20 days to decide, and as long as the phone is still "new" i can return it too i hope. We'll see if i switch, it will just mean forking over more money for a phone than i paid for the Aria.

*Oh did i mention my work get me a 20-25% discount at both AT&T and Verizon? That helps with the bills.