Our first Griefers

DragonFire

Hey Flitter, I'm going to need you to send this guy some stuff when you get a chance. These people came in and as soon as someone said something suspicious I started watching them and sure enough they were griefing this guy named Ryumanymana. They took down some part of his house and crops. I banned them as soon as I saw something after I tp'ed to them.

I do have a list if you would be as so kind to give Ryu back his stuff.

10 diamonds

1 lapis block

1 diamond block

2 gold blocks

2 stacks of redstone

one stack of seeds

2 glowstones

and 3 pistons

I copied his every word, he was very honest, I could tell.

Thank you!

I don't think that'll help. It's easier to build a few picks and start destroying buildings than it is to take the time to get lava or TNT. We'll just have to be vigilant in keeping an eye on people.

Well, I can up the ante with locked down zones, owned blocks, etc.

I was hoping to just deal with all this with the 1.0 release in a month or so - make a new world, use a modded biome generator, full permissions, levelcraft, etc... blah.

Stupid griefers.

- make a new world,

This has been discussed in-game with a few of the players. It has generally been met with something along the lines of "OH NOES I'LL LOSE ALL MY STUFFS!" and so on.

Maybe we open it up for discussion now.

- make a new world,

This has been discussed in-game with a few of the players. It has generally been met with something along the lines of "OH NOES I'LL LOSE ALL MY STUFFS!" and so on.

Maybe we open it up for discussion now.

I originally was in the camp of "OH NOES I'LL LOSE ALL MY STUFFS!", but I'm starting to come around a little.

I will say that if the "new world" brings a bunch of improvements as well as protection from griefers/jerks, then I could get behind that. Yes, we've all put in loads of work on our masterpieces, but I can also say that given a blank slate, there is stuff that I would possibly do differently. I think I'm OK with the idea of this current map being the "beta trial" for the new and improved maps, where the real fun begins.

If we do get a brand new map though, we need time first to make a ton of TNT and blow san's dirt palace into a server-crashing oblivion.

I've always thought you either need to

A) password the server so only we and friends of ours that we give the password to can join

B ) make protected zones and owned blocks

otherwise we will always be dealing with some random people who join and start just destroying stuff.

Edited by samurai nightling

My thoughts on it are:

1) Phoenix Terrain gen = better, more dramatic topography.

2) Chance to tweak rare mineral generation (slimes too?)

3) New stuff slated for release in 1.0 will only generate in areas not yet made.

4) Can add in other stuff to the init. world gen (statues, etc...) for discovery

5) Addition of LevelCraft

6) Grief protection from the start

etc...

When I started the GC minecraft server it was pretty much a "Can I get this to work?" and "How do I do this?" kind-of thing. Opping everyone was the solution to security and management while I figured out how stuff worked on the other end.

So, a new world would be "better" all around but I understand the sense of loss. Could probably keep both the old and new worlds going at the same time if that matters though that may split peoples up.

Now, can I patch stuff in as we go? Of course. But it's a bit hodge-podge. A new, level start seems a good idea.

Whitelist and PW for the server seems just a touch against GC principles in general. One of the neat things about GC is when people come through and go "Hey, no one here is a dick! I think I'll stay awhile." and we'd lose that if we went those ways.

Once I get permisions up (today likely) this will go up alongside it: Residence

My thoughts on it are:

1) Phoenix Terrain gen = better, more dramatic topography.

2) Chance to tweak rare mineral generation (slimes too?)

3) New stuff slated for release in 1.0 will only generate in areas not yet made.

4) Can add in other stuff to the init. world gen (statues, etc...) for discovery

5) Addition of LevelCraft

6) Grief protection from the start

etc...

When I started the GC minecraft server it was pretty much a "Can I get this to work?" and "How do I do this?" kind-of thing. Opping everyone was the solution to security and management while I figured out how stuff worked on the other end.

So, a new world would be "better" all around but I understand the sense of loss. Could probably keep both the old and new worlds going at the same time if that matters though that may split peoples up.

Now, can I patch stuff in as we go? Of course. But it's a bit hodge-podge. A new, level start seems a good idea.

Whitelist and PW for the server seems just a touch against GC principles in general. One of the neat things about GC is when people come through and go "Hey, no one here is a dick! I think I'll stay awhile." and we'd lose that if we went those ways.

Once I get permisions up (today likely) this will go up alongside it: Residence

Hmmm I dont know the name of this Plugin, but there is one where you can reset anything a player has done, EVER. I think it went around like /undo <name> <seconds>. Could just search for "Undo Player Minecraaft Anti-Griefing" or something a long the lines, I have no clue if it's still updated since the last I saw of it was when Minecraft only had the Creative Mode.

Level Craft seems awesome, could be the RPG aspect or the fact you'd need to make a small communities for players to work with each other (As I assume it would take forever to level ALL the skills)

I'll probably keep building, but once that new update comes out, I will build even more.... And yes I do think a new map after the update would be for the best. Even with all the hard work and effort we put into the current map, I'm sure now we could do a lot of the same and new a whole lot better and in different ways. It's true yesterday though I didn't do too much because I don't want it to be so spectacular anymore, I want the next castle I build to be even bigger and better.

I'm just hoping a new update comes out soon, because I will be building and mining until then, and hopefully I won't fall in love too much with anything I will do or anyone else for that matter. I love the railway system though, can't wait until a new map and we make it even longer with more stops to explore. Ugh....I love this game....

Honestly, I'm probably done building at this point on the current map, but I'm still up for exploring and such since that's half the fun of this game.

I might finish san's interchange for the railway, but that will be my last project until the new map.

Like I said, no reason the old map can't keep on keepin on. Works the same was as the nether maps do.

BTW ran another full render on the surface last night so Dynmap looks normal again.

Wait, so you're saying the current map and be ported over?

Well, yeah, kinda.

You can have a teleport thingy (command? portal?) that jumps between however many worlds you have running.

One group has an entry world, then three main worlds (main surface, nether, and one for mining - don't ask, don't know) and then a couple more. It's doable.

Again, this would mainly be nostalgia I'm betting because what's on tap for the 1.8 release in a week or two is fairly impressive and as far as terrain goes only avail in newly generated terrain (meaning un-made chunks in the current world or a brand new world)

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/404017-beta-18-discoveries/