offensive names

Mercman

GC Server Admin

There was somebody who joined the other day and maybe its just me but I thought his name was offensive.

It was the 2 lightning bolts , skull and crossbones , YU-GI-OH, skull and crossbones ,2 lightning bolts

The lightning bolts with the skulland crossbones is the synbol for the SS in ww2

http://archive.adl.org/hate_symbols/neo_nazi_ss_bolts.asp

http://archive.adl.org/hate_symbols/neo_nazi_symbols.asp

Attached is a picture with his screen name

Hope we can get rid of this guy

GC Server Admin
(edited)

Did you get his/her steam id?

No i didnt

just managed to get screenshot

It was a couple days ago

I did mention it in game and it didnt seem to bothere anybody nobody

and the steam id is in the picture if u can read it

@hatter

and no ididnt

just because i didnt really know if it was just me thinking it was hate filled or not

I did a search and lo and behold those 2 sybols where there so i posted

I saw him twice in game but dont think he stayed long (being a troll he didnt geta response im thinking and left)

Edited by Mercman

GC Server Admin
(edited)

i think that could just be a kid who thought those were just lightning bolts and wanted his name to be "badass"

Maybe but still offensive

@ hatter no He/she didnt that i saw and besides the name i dont think there was any problem with him/her.

If i see them in game again i WILL bring it up and tell them to change it

I was gonna let it pass then i saw the post about the swastikas in minecraft.

those symbols either directly or indirectly were responsible for Millions of people dieing . between 50 and 70 MILLION estimated

thanks I didnt know if it was just me being old and grumpy being offended by that

oakgurl enlightened me to an anim with this persons name.

Ima have to agree with swatfishy that he doesnt know what it means

Edited by Mercman

• 2 months later...
(edited)

Hmmm. I am on the fence on this one. Symbols can have different meanings to different people. The swastika was a sign of well being or in a state of higher being or enlightenment prior to WW2 for thousands of years. Because of that terrible time in history it can be offensive to some people, but it shouldn't. I think it is a matter of context. The lightning bolts could be just that lightning bolts. The skull and crossbones could be a pirate reference. At any rate all those symbols are dead peoples baggage we should quit carrying it. The SS is gone, Nazi Germany is gone, and so are pirates a LONG time ago in fact. Unfortunately these things can be very subjective. If this person had a star or a cross or crescent moon on each side of their name would that have been equally offensive. Probably not. If I had the name Nero, no one would get upset, even though that guy was responsible for a lot atrocities in his own time. He used to burn Christians in his garden at night for lighting purposes. IMHO as long as the person isn't using crude language in his/her name which kind of goes against the swearing rule we shouldn't look too deep into it. I suppose if the guy was talking / texting a lot of hate or just being an a-hole in general. That would be reason enough to ban them, because they are ruining the game for everyone, but their gaming handle...............? I don't know. I don't have a dog in this fight I would just like to keep these things in perspective. I don't even totally disagree with my friend Mercman, just trying to play devils advocate. (p.s. I don't really advocate for the devil, just an expression.)

Edited by zero0

• 2 weeks later...