So my adventure begins...

NOFX

• 3 weeks later...

2.53 miles again!   I pushed my 15 second stretch session back from the  1.25ish mile ( about halfway) to the 2 mile mark!  my legs get so stiff!  I literally almost fell on my face trying to get out of the shower  I can't lift my legs over 12"" atm   burns sooo good 

Gotta crawl before you walk TB...

Post trail update.  Its been about a month since I've been off the trail.  I'm on a trail crew doing the heavy maintenance out in the back country for 8 day stretches. Its free food, a free place to sleep between hitches and hanging with other hikers.  I kick it around my fathers when I got nothing going on.  Resting up, gorging myself with food and trying to stay in shape. I still have no bed, just the back of my truck(which is actually really nice) and a cot to sleep on at my fathers in the basement.

I got offered my old desk job back as a programmer and turned it down, I just couldn't do it.  Spending 40 hours a week sedentary at a desk felt way to unhealthy physically and mentally.

Edited by NOFX

2.53 miles again!   I pushed my 15 second stretch session back from the  1.25ish mile ( about halfway) to the 2 mile mark!  my legs get so stiff!  I literally almost fell on my face trying to get out of the shower  I can't lift my legs over 12"" atm   burns sooo good 

Gotta crawl before you walk TB...

Post trail update.  Its been about a month since I've been off the trail.  I'm on a trail crew doing the heavy maintenance out in the back country for 8 day stretches. Its free food, a free place to sleep between hitches and hanging with other hikers.  I kick it around my fathers when I got nothing going on.  Resting up, gorging myself with food and trying to stay in shape. I still have no bed, just the back of my truck(which is actually really nice) and a cot to sleep on at my fathers in the basement.

I got offered my old desk job back as a programmer and turned it down, I just couldn't do it.  Spending 40 hours a week sedentary at a desk felt way to unhealthy physically and mentally.

Do what you do man!   goons 4 man team  9-3 cmm record!  I hope you find your niche in life heading forward!

• Like 2

I was following along your tumblr and that was an amazing journey and some pictures that made myself and anyone who saw them over my shoulder jealous. Congrats and good luck, closing a door on the old job for sure should help to open new ones. Just keep your eyes open and find your happiness!

• Like 1

Is it the idea of being sedentary or the idea of being inside? The sedentary part can be overcome with a walking desk, the inside part, not so much. 

Any idea what's next?

It's breaking away from that lifestyle that I want to do. I'm tired of being mentally drained day after day. It's been so great to have my time back. I got a lot of things I want to do and a career is just getting in the way right now.

Whats next? It's looking like a road trip out west for the winter after the trail crew season. Or maybe fly down to South America. I'm not sure.. but I now have the PCT on my to-do list also

Edited by NOFX

It's breaking away from that lifestyle that I want to do. I'm tired of being mentally drained day after day. It's been so great to have my time back. I got a lot of things I want to do and a career is just getting in the way right now.

Whats next? It's looking like a road trip out west for the winter after the trail crew season. Or maybe fly down to South America. I'm not sure.. but I now have the PCT on my to-do list also

Man, I can't argue with any of that. I know plenty of people that have found a way to put life ahead of work and still have what they need. I hope you can figure it out, too. 

I'll keep an eye out for your PCT trip. It runs right through the Columbia River Gorge and into Mount Hood. I'd be happy to meet you out there and either grab a beer and some pizza or just drop off some supplies.

You should probably consider something like guide work, No-FX. Now that you have some credibility, you could probably try to hook up with a tour agency and run guide tours periodically. If you time it out well, you could make enough $$$ and have time off to do other things. Skiing and hunting also come into mind, I am not so much a fan of hunting anymore though...