HEY WHITIE, SOME PROGRAMMING HELP NEEDED HERE!

Sup Yall,

I used to do this on [VI]'s old server, and because of the fact that we are now here, and I like a lot of the peeps that I have run across on this server, I will offer this now. I am a Software Engineer with a good bit o experience in J2EE (my specialty), J2SE (my first love), C++, Vis Basic (not .NET), ASP (not .NET), Oracle Aps, OHS, Oracle RDMS and Perl. I understand that the majority of the people that ask questions in this forum are hardware related, however, if any of you young aspiring collect students (or professionals out there) have any programming, feel free to ask. I will do what I can to be of assistance, though I request that you don't have any short time expectations (Whitie, I got this really big project do TOMORROW, can ya help me?)

Just lettin yall know.

L8er.

yea man, Ill prob ask u a few questions. Principals of Computer Science III is comin up in august....Although that class is java. I still have Web Programming II, which is perl, asp, all that stuff. Then I have a 300 level C+ class.

Yeah man, right after the goop msgboard went down, I needed to ask you something (for an ASP project I was doing for work). It was driving me nuts, but I finally got it. That incident put me off on ASP, I hate the syntax sometimes because it should work the way it is written, but doesn't. It really gets annoying sometimes.

Roo man, I could right a book about the idiosyncracies of ASP and VB.

Rem on Goop the problem that I had to have BMF's help for? That was a bug in the language that you had to know to get around, not my own programming.

Course, I would be the last person to encourage NE1 to use Microsoft for NEthing besides playing Counterstrike.

Linux in the hiz-ouse.

Interesting note: Rumor has it that HL2 will be available for Linux on the client side. If that turns out to be true, I will be able to kiss MS goodbye for everything!

Sweet, the only thing keeping me from plunging into Linux head-first to force myself to learn it is the fact that I would have to boot into MS to play games (which I use my computer the majority of the time for). This is at least a step in the right direction. Now if the hardware support for gaming could be bumped to the same/near same level...

sweet white knight.

I'm a programmer too so if you questions can't be answered by Whitey give me a call.

:P

I do VB.Net, ASP.Net, ASP 3.0 and can read and debug quite a few C-based languages.......

lol, You guys dont know my secret weapon. There is a programmer in the community that has helped me out more times than I can thank him. But I can't tell ya cuz then everyone will be askin him question and he wont have time to get to mine :D

:) I can't help it if EKU still thinks it is important for me to learn. I am really digging this Oracle stuff now, but the server at school is giving us fits. The lab managers can't get it working, so I think I am going to do an independant study class, and my professor said if I get the server working, I get an A, no questions asked :)

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

How about some links or maybe some information on how to get started. Dispite my hardware knowledge, I just do not know jack about programming other than some of the basics. Which is the best to learn first and maybe the best way to get started. I am interested myself. Thanks.

The only thing difficult to learn about programming is the logic involved. If you get that whipped you're set, cuz then all you have to do is learn the syntax that each language uses. That's not too hard unless you are doing it for a living and have to do it fast, cuz it is all in a book somewhere, just takes time sometimes to find it. A good bit of common sense, and being decent at problem solving and algebra help a lot.

IMHO, which isn't near as humble as normal, considering that I am very well paid for my skill set, but the best way to learn to program is a 3 step program.

1. Come up with some nifty computer tool that you would like.

Pick something realitively easy. Like, man it would be great if I had a program to randomly create dungeons and dragons characters, or this darn windows calculator sucks donkey, I wish I had one that was actually user friendly.

2. Pick a language.

My personal sugguestion is Java because its easy to learn, its free to download, and there exist TONS of tutorials.

3. Go to java.sun.com and download the JDK and read the first few tutorials. (or go and get a book for the desired language and a compiler)

I would sugguest downloading and installing this:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html

I would sugguest going through the first few tutorials here:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

I would sugguest using this for all of your Method and Class needs (you'll understand what this means after you go through the tutorials)

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/api/index.html

Extra notes:

A. The best editor to program java in for a beginner is Notepad or Textpad (free download, I actually bought a copy http://www.textpad.com/download/index.html)

B. It is very important that after you install java you make sure that your java and javac commands work. So go to the command line (<WINDOWS>-R and type CMD):

C:\>java <enter>

C:\>javac <enter>

You should get option lists from both.

C. Until you figure out pathing, the best way place to start working is in your java root directory...that way you don't have any linking problems. It will be a directory like

c:\j2sdk1.4.0_03

D. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Honestly, if you don't have a reason to learn the language (like the nifty tool that you want) then you won't be able to teach yourself. Most books give example projects to do, but overall the either insult your intelligence or they are so repetitive that you don't really learn anything or (worst case scenario) they completely jump from newbie/beginner level to 3l3t3 programmer level and don't explain what. So in essence what I am rambling about, is that #1 is VERY important.

The calculator thing is very easy to do, and you can get really complicated, or keep it simple, depending on how far you want to take it. I made a great calculator in VB using the TI-85 as my model. The assignment was to do a calculator that could add, subtract, multiply and divide, but that wasn't good enough for me. Mine was skinnable, had a TON of functions, and I got 104% on it. Totally blew any hope of a decent curve :)

that #2 and #3 and extra notes are exactly correct. textpad rox, missing a coupla things but no biggie. jedit is a nice java based editor (w/ plugins ) and theres eclipse, websphere, struts, CORBA, regex, beans, jdbc, odbc-jdbc bridges, oracle/sybase/mysql/postgre sqls, and jars (cant forget the jars) and all of a suddenly youre not in kansas anymore toto...

then you black out

<_<

repeat

• 1 month later...