BE A SALESMAN! FIND ME A CAR!

Fatty

Ok you car people, here's the task for you.

I'm not buying a car right now, but perhaps in 5 years, but let's pretend we're 5 years from now right now.

Ok, Fat's married, and they've had their 3rd child. They have 3 cars, and Fat is getting rid of his car. Ever since Fat got married, the wife has had the choice of cars. Fat even sold his one and only sports car for financial reasons when they got married. No problem. But now, after 12 years, it's Fat's turn. His pick. His car.

Ok. I need a selection of cars, you guys can pretend you're the sales people. Need pics, stats, etc. I have my eye on the Cobra, but can't remember the exact cost, etc.

Requirements:

Stick.

Must be able to chirp 2nd gear (like I did in Mini's 5.0 today :D )

Price can't be over $40,000.

Not some old muscle car. It has to be a newish car.

Ok, sell me a car!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wierd...I missed it when you posted over the weekend...gimme a couple <rubs hands together>

First, any GOOD salesperson wont real;ly sell you anything! He/She will ask you a carefully designed set of 2questions and then match a product/service to your needs/sdesires. Following this methodology, he can't go wrong! (No I am not in sales).

So, going on what I know...here would be my suggestions now...

BTW, these will be NEW cars, nevermind that I feel the best way to buy a car is very slightly used!

(edited)

Okay...since I am not going to try to sell you 4 cars (I would want to!), here is my choice for you:

Mazda RX-8

Pros: This car is going to be quite quick. Not blazing fast mind you, but to a guy that is used to driving pickups and Mom-mobiles, it will be a BLAST! Furthermore, the RX-8 is said to have true sports-car handling and braking (a 50/50 weight distribution too!). Chirping 2nd gear will not be a problem at all with 0-60 of about 5.9 secs (R&T) and an estimated top speed of 149 MPH Road and Track

Here are the bonus points for your new RX-8.

1. Price: For a STICKER price in the low low $30K range, you get all this performance, along with a luxurious trim level. Your amenities include Leather seating, heated front buckets, a moonroof, CD-Bose stereo, and Xenon headlamps (to see as cool as you look). PLUS, money to take the fam someplace fun!

The SECOND bonus point is for the wifey:

2. FOUR seats! The back isnt huge, but it is specially designed for easy access (no B-pillar) and comfort (the rear seats are tilted back at an angle). You will certainly be able to take all three munchkins with you if your precious (and beautiful) wife wants to have a couple hours to herself. (Of course I might be selling you OUT of the car right now!

:lol: )

Alternatives: Nissan 350Z Just cuz its so sexy!!

I haven't named any American cars for this reason...there are none right now. The pony cars have been pulled for the moment, there will be an all new Mustang in 2004, so you might consider the Cobra (since you have a good chunk of cash you are playing with here). I dont know about the next Camaro (even GM doesn't know that much about it).

The next Gen (VI) Corvette will be in the $50K range, so thats might be a bit steep for most of us mortals. BUT, you might consider a two year old Corvette in 5 years or so!

So basically, I like the RX-8 for you for now.

I almost pointed out:

Subaru WRX-STi or

Mitsubishi Evo VIII

THese two cars might really fit your bill perfectly. But the time to swing this one is when you are buying the Mom-Mobile! Both of these cars offer four-seats, excellent gas mileage, AWD, and superb braking. (Not to mention they are VERY fast!!!) You would undoubetdly enjoy driving either, but your luxury experience would be nil, and when you got out of your car, you would see how ugly it was. Both of these things would detract from your ultimate driving pleasure, which to me, sounds like what you are looking for in several years.

Hope you enjoy it! (Now gimme my money!)

Edited by gOOters

well if you ask me.. a Mitsubishi 300GT. It maybe a rice rocket, but this sucker can fly!

another good one would be a Nissan Skyline, or a Mitsubishi Eclipse. Both fun cars!

oh! rx-7's are sweeeeet! man those things purr! my uncles' buddy has one.

however i prefer my uncles cars. a 1970 camaro RS with a 600hp engine, dyno charger [boosting up to 750 hp] and 2 bottles of NOS about 3 ft long..

Ill get pics up of that beaut and this one too. his other machine, is a 1966 corvette stingray. this is the first year they put a 427 big block in them. im getting pictures scanned by a buddy as we speak. man that vette flys. ill get a small video for you boys too! :D

(edited)

Pontiac GTO should be your first consideration if you're willing to wait. But you'd only have to wait 6 months or so. :=

edit: make sure you click on "take it for a spin" and "hear it coming" at the bottom.

Waiting for a test drive but I am soo hoping that it will get me into an American car but I am not planning on buying an RSX (or something else) until next summer.

Edited by Chief

GC Founder

Ooooh.......

Here's my reactions so far, and you can base you next step as sales people accordingly:

Mazda Rx-8 - Nice specs, but I don't like the stubby looks. If it's going to be so short, it can't be that tall. Remember, the customer is always right. Just has a girly round look.

Nissan 350Z - I like this looks of this a little more, but it's still got that "not me" tone to it.

Perhaps if I have to talk about shape, I'll tell you that my dream car has always been a Nissan 300zx (i'm not even sure on the name)...it's got the twin turbo? Bean told me they don't even make em anymore, so for a nice one, the price would go up...dunno, see any of those around?

Moving on:

The New GTO: You ever see Sponge Bob's friend Patrick standing there drooling? What's the price for one of these?

Ok, I just did those two links at the bottom of the GTO.

<puts arm around Chief and takes him off to the side to talk a little more business>

Walks back....so 3 cars? Izat all you got?

I GOT MONEY HERE! Well, not really, but let's continue pretending!

I'll probably get some laughter outta this, but what the heck.

Go for the Volvo C70 T6. It's a little bigger sport coupe. But it can scream. I've got the S80 T6 and it will get down the highway. And if I remember, it's somewhere in the 30k range for the C70. Not sure if it comes as a stick. But it does come with the DynaShift(think that's what it's called). You put it in drive and give it a slap to the left and you start out in first gear and have to shift up for the remaining gears yourself. Nice little feature if you have a wife who doesn't like driving a stick. And to top it off Volvo is one of the safest cars on the road.

Just remember, I'm not a racer but on occasion I like to drive something sporty. Because the Yukon just doesn't handle the same. Also, I'm not much of a car person. So my next addition is going to be another Jeep Wrangler. Fun and zippy. Not fast but loads of fun to drive.

(edited)

Volvo S60R

Well, I'm only halfway laughing at you Lunk. This ^ is a Volvo I can groove to!

Fatty Posted on Jun 7 2003, 09:16 PM

let's pretend we're 5 years from now right now...It has to be a newish car.
Well, that would rule out the 300ZXTT. By then, the newest one you could find would be about 7-8 years old, would you really want to do that?

Must be able to chirp 2nd gear

The new goat will smoke your tires till they disintegrate, kinda a far cry from what you thought you wanted in performance.

Not some old muscle car.

Ahh, but your feelings betray you young Fatwalker. The GTO is pure musclecar!

I can see that like so many guys, you would be an easy sell on "testosterone factor". I can also see you have a penchant for American "muscle cars", more than European style "sports cars".

Taking what I have learned from his initial feedback, I quickly hustle Fat away from the sporty little coupes and over to the upcoming American muscle. "Here is your chance to have a piece of Americana, a future classic, for sure! But for now, this is the fastest, baddest pretty boy on the block!" (Nevermind that Viper over there)

All New C6 Corvette!

Edit: This is actually only one artist's interpretation after speaking to design engineers. However, R&T usually doesn't hit too far off the mark. Besides, I really like this interpretation of the next gen Vette!

Okay, I know. It might be a little bit expensive, but hey, at $52K, you will be making Porsches and Ferraris sweat! Besides, we can negotiate a little. If worst comoes to worst, you could always opt out for one of our "gently used"models. The C6 Corvette offers around 400HP, that should be enough to get you where you want to go. The huge performance brakes and sophisticated 4 wheel independent suspension will assure you travel in style as well!

"GTO? <snort> You mean that ugly Grand Prix replicar that looks exactly like every other plastic Pontiac and Cavelear out there? Well, if you have no style, help yourself...but I can see that you are a man of true taste!"

Now...GIMME MY MONEY!

Edited by gOOters

"GTO? <snort> You mean that ugly Grand Prix replicar that looks exactly like every other plastic Pontiac and Cavelear out there? Well, if you have no style, help yourself...but I can see that you are a man of true taste!"

Now...GIMME MY MONEY!

Yeah the new GTO looks horrible!!!! Looks like a long sunfire.... I'll take a pass...

What about an BMW M3

Or the 2004 VW golf, Now that's gonna be a sweet car...

All right boys, you totally left out half the spectrum!

$40K is the money we got to work with right? Well, lets step up to the plate and see how you take on a few of these baddies, and see where you lie....

1. RSX Type-S (did anyone expect this from me?) - I know I love it since its my car, but I love this car. And for comporable performance to any other car you can get under $40k (minus roadsters) she is a steal at $24K. You throw in minimal depreciation (less than 6% after 1 year...better than most cars after they drive off the lot), luxery as well as sporty, and you have a steal. Also, she sports the biggest backseat in her class, bigger than both the WRX and the Audi A4. I haven't been in an RX-8 yet, but I'd be willing to poney up a few Washington's to say that she'll have a bigger backseat than that one too. And you can take your extra money and either go to Europe, or buy a supercharger.

http://www.acura.com/models/model_index.asp?module=rsx

2. G35 Coupe (also expected from me) - Just like the 350Z but with the addition of luxery and class. She's a hair slower, more stable, and actually corners better than mr Z, due to an 8 inch longer wheelbase. This also grants you a sizable trunk, and a decent backseat. In this ride, you will find every known extra possible, including duel climate zones (10 degress diff...thats big), memory seats and gps system (for extra coin). XM Radio comes standard with the car (plus your $10 a month). This car is hot...either i'm gonna get one when my warranty on my RSX runs out, or my girl will when she gets rid of her G20.

http://www.infiniti.com/content/0,,cid-239...d-12001,00.html

3. BMW Z-4 - This car looks fugly in pictures, but in person she be sweet. I must admit, its a roadster which means no trunk and no backseat, but this car is fast and fly. Your $40K is just shy of the 3.0i's cost ($40,250) and don't let that extra change stop you. This thing is light and blazing fast (0-60 in 5.4), making it the fastest in its class...and therefore king of roadsters (under $1M US). I'd rather grab the slightly more expensive M3 than the Z4, but you set the pricerange.

http://www.bmwusa.com/

4. Audi A6 2.7T - Like every good salesman, I'm pushing the limits of your pricerange ($41K)...but this baby is special. You have kids, but you want sporty. Do you take a meager Mazda 6, or Altima that handles like a Chrysler??? No, you go for a European Sports Sedan that you can haul the kids around while you hawl-a$$ around the country. How 'bout a sedan that covers 0-60 in 6 seconds flat? What? Does the RX-8 still sound like a sports car? I don't think so...6 speed manual transmission, sports suspension, all with European elegance. Of course if a full sized sedan is too much for you...try the Audi A4 3.0..shes a hair slower but comes in at $32,400.

http://www.audiusa.com/model_home/0,,model...code-1_,00.html

5. New Ford Mustang - First complete redesign in way too long? Actually planning on giving the Mustang back its balls? No specifics yet...but I'm very interested. If nothing else, she screams Fast Back is back! (don't have time to find pics).

The deal with buying a sports machine is you have to think outside the box. Don't get stuck in any 1 genre or country. Europe gets more affordable every year, Japan gets more luxurious, and America actually gets more quality, albeit slowly, but it does. Even Koreans In America are improving quality and sportiness. Maybe someday I won't laugh every time I see a guy in a tiberon pull up to a stoplight lookin like he's all that...

Edited by White Knight

Ha, White Knight is selling to himself! Of course, loving your product will help you sell it.

White Knight Posted on Jun 10 2003, 01:35 PM

Europe gets more affordable every year, Japan gets more luxurious, and America actually gets more quality, albeit slowly, but it does. Even Koreans In America are improving quality and sportiness. Maybe someday I won't laugh every time I see a guy in a tiberon pull up to a stoplight lookin like he's all that...

All VERY good points, you have a good grip on cars.

I disagree on the RX-8 though. It doesnt pretend to be a super fast sprinter, but it will handle like a charm, and 0-60 in 5.9 isnt dog slow, by any means!

The new GTO looks more like a Grand Prix than anything else in the Pontiac stable. It is equipped to fight off euro-lovers who might opt for 30-40K options from audi/bmw with the raw power to tap into Euro- and muscle- lovers. Remember: Pontiac IS driving excitement.

A mustang is not worth buying unless you are going to pop 40k. A Corvette is out of the price range. The imports opted above are too sedan-y for our customer, or they are boy-racer inspired hack jobs.

A full-sized coupe, with a 5.7L, and sport flavored tuning put a premium on the GTO test-drive.

The GTO, fully-equipped is slated to enter the market at 35K. Comfortably within the target range and allowing for convenient tax & title, and that first 6 month insurance hit while staying in the 40K allocation.

There is no competition that meets our client's criteria. And I am the only one offering a test-drive to back it up.

Please peruse our online collateral at your leisure. I will be happy to assist you in the acquisition of a car meeting or exceding all listed criteria: the 2004 Pontiac GTO.

(edited)

I would agree. The new GTO WILL be driving excitement, and to me, that counts for ALOT!

But, it is about as visually exciting as this

or this or even an older Grand Prix.

I'm sorry this car simply has NO muscular lines or looks. It's a design nightmare! The sad thing is, look at what Pontiac could be capable of if they grew a set! This is why Pontiac is a floundering marque.

Grand Prix G8

The Article

Edited by gOOters

All VERY good points, you have a good grip on cars.

I disagree on the RX-8 though. It doesnt pretend to be a super fast sprinter, but it will handle like a charm, and 0-60 in 5.9 isnt dog slow, by any means!

Thank you, sir! I try. I'm still neutral about the RX-8. I want to see it in the flesh before I pass judgement...I made that mistake with the Z-4, then when I saw it and rode in it I was blown away. Made the same mistake with the Super Neon. I saw the #'s and was like wow....the I saw it in person and had to ask if the maker was Kia or Dodge.
It is equipped to fight off euro-lovers who might opt for 30-40K options from audi/bmw with the raw power to tap into Euro- and muscle- lovers.

PFFT! I have yet to see an american car that can even rival an A-4 (the cheapest Audi). Raw power the Goat has, but I doubt that the same company that just cut in half the standard equipment on the Grand Prix (a complaint that a pontiac lover friend of mine has recently stated to me as he asked for advice about other cars), would place emphesis on luxary.

The imports opted above are too sedan-y for our customer, or they are boy-racer inspired hack jobs
You have obviously never ridden in an Audi, nor have you touched the G35 Coupe. Both exude power, grace and elegance. I'd agree about the 350Z, RSX and the Z-4 (partially, it screams midlife crisis), but you are dead wrong about the other two. The Audi will whoop your GTO....btw, did you notice your GTO has no listed price?

Remember: Pontiac IS driving excitement.

That is funny.

The GTO, fully-equipped is slated to enter the market at 35K. Comfortably within the target range and allowing for convenient tax & title, and that first 6 month insurance hit while staying in the 40K allocation.
You have obviously never ridden in an Audi, nor have you touched the G35 Coupe. Both exude power, grace and elegance.

Actually my family has owned Audis since I was a young child. I learned to drive on my mom's 5 speed Audi 4000, my first car was an Audi 5000, and my dad currently owns an 2002 Audi A6 3.0 quattro fulllllly loaded. They are sedans. The power is adequate--for a sedan--but will not exude it, nor bark the tires in second, without opting for an S- option and the accompanying price premiums.

I am not talking about a Grand Prix, base or fully loaded. I am talking about the GTO fully loaded for 35k dollars and the equipment listed and pictured on the Pontiac website.

Audi makes excellent sedans and S-tuned sports sedans, I agree. I love getting to borrow my dad's. I love European makes--most especially adventures in my buddy's 2003 M3. But performance and price, as the client requested, do not make those an option. The lower Audis for performance and the S Audis for price.

A trip to the dealer can help make individual assesments on luxury, ride characteristics, and equipment.

However, anyone with a basic grasp of geometry, shape, proportion, or optics (GOOTERS!) can plainly see the Holden-based GTO does not resemble the Sunfire half as much as the Grand Prix.

Grand Prix G8:

pontiac.grandprix.front.350.jpg

Sunfire:

brand_model_thumb1.jpg

GTO:

04_00094_1.jpg

Grand Prix GTP:

brand_specs_thumb1.jpg

This is a thread on cars, not a crack house! o0o What makes ya think it looks like a Sunfire besides the obvious differences in proportion, headlamps, ground effects... :blink:

GC Founder
Yeah the new GTO looks horrible!!!!  Looks like a long sunfire....  I'll take a pass...

What about an BMW M3

Or the 2004 VW golf, Now that's gonna be a sweet car...

Do you guys always split your time with customers?

Get this chump out of here, please!

GC Founder

Getting crowded in here, guys. How about some room. This is important...

5 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

5 Members: Fatty, Chief, gOOters, Magruter, Gunman

I could find you a fiero for a good price, those are GREAT cars.

<checks the lot's inventory>

"Ah yes we do have a couple in stock"

Since it's for you fat, i can probably go as low as $31,000.

Since your a nice guy... <_<

MAGS A CHUMP HAHAHAHAHA!

Anyhow, I like the burgandy pic more Chief. I have found what I dislike so much about the car. Besides the total smoothness, its the narrow appearance. The total lack of shoulders or arse on the car turn me off. There are no fat wheel bulges at any of the corners, this simple addition would make this car look MUCH better.

I'm tired of selling. What do you want to put your $1000 deposit down on Fat?