I'm still in amazement

[Mmmm]Homer

(edited)

General J, Vsync is NOT the reason it dips into the teens. Vsync would prevents it from going above 60Hz.

Don't know why your system sees the increase when you enable/disable it but that is not how Vsync works.

Edited by dwEEziL

How hard is it to build your own system?

40mins to 1hr to put components together

another hour or so to install all the junk you want + OS

And about 4 hours up front to research & decide what components you want.

Then a couple hours to download all the new drivers & install them.

Guest TF_FSoul
Guest TF_FSoul
Guest TF_FSoul
Guests
The ECS K7S5A is a great little mobo for about $46 with 200/266 bus. You can buy a comparable Asus for $60.

AMD XP2000+ for $62.

256mb PC2100 DDR for $39.

64mb Chaintech GF4/Ti4200 for $82.

Then add on 50 bucks in shipping total and you are still missing a case, new hard drive, DVD or cd-rom, Sound card, etc....

With the low prices and competition everywhere it is cheaper to buy a system put together. The most expensive part of any new computer right now is the Video Card....if you want a decent one.

vsync doesnt drop fps, only locks it at 60. It is your card, not vsync. I have a program that locked my refresh rates at 100 on my monitor and in CS my fps never drop below 90, with smoke never below 60. almost always a constant 99 and thats with a Geforce 3 ti200. not the best by a long shot...

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

It has been known for vsync to cause your fps to drop. It did it to me all the time, so i always had it turned off. But whenever i turned it on to see if I could tell if I was experiencing texture tearing for having it off, cs became unplayable. So yes, turn it off if it is on and it may smoothen things out for you.

The ECS K7S5A is a great little mobo for about $46 with 200/266 bus. You can buy a comparable Asus for $60.

AMD XP2000+ for $62.

Then add on 50 bucks in shipping total and you are still missing a case, new hard drive, DVD or cd-rom, Sound card, etc....

With the low prices and competition everywhere it is cheaper to buy a system put together. The most expensive part of any new computer right now is the Video Card....if you want a decent one.

I was assuming you were upgrading your current system. Shipping would prolly be $20.

Homer,Jul 9 2003, 05:31 PM] The ECS K7S5A is a great little mobo for about $46 with 200/266 bus.  You can buy a comparable Asus for $60.

AMD XP2000+ for $62.

This is not low-grade stuff, this is just behind the curve.

It's probably not the best idea to get a 200/266 FSB MB when they are already moving to 800. That is why it costs $46 bucks. By the time the D3 engine is released, you'd need to upgrade your CPU/MB/Vid/Ram AGAIN. Might as well add the cost of TWO upgrades.

By waiting for the next great engine prior to upgrade, you can guarantee you'll be gamin on that system for a while. I guess that's my philosophy. It's not always smart to go with the lowest rung components. At least for a person who only has time for 1-2 games, like me.

I just upgraded for Unreal2 and HL2... $500

My system is a P4 2.6 Ghz

1 GB Ram

Radeon 9800 Pro 128 Mb

120 GB HD

So, the only thing holding me back from enjoying a game online is my stupid wireless router....

Linksys must pay!

I just upgraded a month ago for 800 dolla.

Abit KD-7

AMD AthlonXP 2500+Barton

512 pc2700

60gig 7200rpm HD

GeForce4 Ti4200 8xAGP Golden Sample

Sony flopp

Samsung 52x24x52 CRWD

Kingwin 3 windowed Case w/ 5 fans and 3 caths. (the only 3 windowed case you can buy online)

Tt heaysink.

XP Pro

Plannys

Supermat

Logitech Elite Keyboard

Pretty big upgrade for me :blink:

I just built my first pc over 4th of July weekend. It cost me around $550 to do it. This is what I put in it:

Biostar M7NCD Pro Mobo

AMD/Athlon XP 2500+ Barton

1ghz PNY PC2700 Memory(2 sticks of 256mb & 1 512mb)

Asus CD-Rom

Power-Case(Picked it up at pc show for $35 with 400 watt ps)

TI4200 64mb vid card

Floppy drive

XP

keyboard

Mouse

WD 80gb hdd w/8mb cache

It's not hard to build one. The hardest thing for me was deciding which mobo to go with. It's mind boggling when you start looking at all the different ones. Homer gave me the idea to go with the biostar mobo. And so far I don't regret it. I would recommend this board to all. And I've noticed a big difference in cs with this new pc versus my Dell P4 1.4ghz w/256mb RDRAM and 32 mb vid card. With the new one I'm always the first one on during a map change. For me it's becoming a hobby. I like to tinker with the pc. And I'm fixin' to upgrade my old P3 450mhz pc now. Change mobo & cpu with new memory.

Like DJ said it's all about priorities.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I use the Epox one and it runs perfect for me. This is one thing that Nvidia has going for it right now.

****UPDATE*****

I canned the 450 and bought and ASUS A7A 256 DDR2100, GeForce2 32MB and 2000+ proc for under $150.. Runs Real nice.. Dont crack on my vid card either ;) It does pretty good for $30 thats how me and Knock have both been playing together lately..