Fatty's New PC

Fatty

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GC Founder

I'm overclocking a 566 to 850...been doing so for ~3 years. At one point, I was generally the first in the game almost every time...it's gotton to the point where I'm lucky to make the pistol round. <---cs benchmark test, copywrite 2003 Fatty B

Hmmmm......1.6 seems to run ok now...wonder if i need to do this...

<pretends he didn't say that since he got OK from wife for pc already>

Like I said to gOOt, if all you're gonna do is play cs, then wait for the bigger and better games that are worth upgrading for, eh?

:fatty:

Well, I love my 9500 pro. ZD recommended it and he was right. I got it back when the 9700's had just come out for about 270. It ran great in my P3-600 but absolutely rocks in my P4-2.4. I peg a solid 99 fps in CS. I'm generally one of the first 3 or 4 in the game.

It also plays the new games great. 1942 and the new Call of Duty demo...I've not tested many others yet.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Fatty, I am assuming you will pick up HL2 when it comes out. SO let me put it to you lightly, the Geforce cards suck playing it. Nvidia is on a trend of making their cards look better than they really are at DX9 games. HL2 is the first real true dx9 game. Avoid touching an nvidia card right now. Wait till later when they decide to stick with Microsoft's standards for DirectX rather than make their own.

Also, you can pick up a 9800 pro for around 300 bucks on newegg. You do not really want the regular 9800 if you can get the 9700 pro instead since it is better.

yeah I'm with ZD....stear clear of nVidia really......ati is where it's at.

bought my 9700 pro when it was $400 (dumb decision I think) and it's the 128mb one.

I do not regret owning this card but I do regret buying it before I needed it.

however I have a 1.4ghz athlon and 512mb of ram and with this video card I can run EVERY game on the market (and some not yet on the market) at AT LEAST 1024x768 res with every video setting as high as possible. Most games I can run at 1280x1024 res (my monitor doesn't go higher) with zilch in the way of trouble....the fact that I am bottlenecked by a 1.4ghz processor and can still run games like that amazes me. I ran the DoomIII Alpha (the leaked one that made ppl scared for DoomIII) at a constant 40fps....(believe me that's good for that thing, most ppl would run between 2 to 20fps on it)

I can run the Halo PC beta 1.5 at 1024 res with no problems...........

uumm....I rambled.

basically, get ATI.

the only problem with bittorrent is that you will have trouble getting older files

you can only get 100% of the file if SOMEONE out there is sharing 100% of it....what frequently happens is folks download the whole file and immediatly close the BT client....if everyone has done this and the 'seeder' (the first person to put the file online) has closed his too....then no one else will be able to finish the file.....so out of courtesy when you finish a file, if you're not doing anything important......leave it open....and if you right click and save the .torrent file (the link on the website) you can rerun the torrent and then share it days later again if you aren't using your pc.....

with that said I'm going to reseed Halo since I have it 100% and I can't garauntee it's still out there.

GC Founder

I'm giving NCC some business over at his place. He set it up, then I bumped it up. I'm not up to putting one together right now either, so it all works out nice! :peace:

Also, my current 2nd PC is going to become my daughters full-time gamer, so I needed to do a complete system.....so you got me in cost by LOTS! :freak::hug::fatty: