Fatty's New PC

Fatty

XP Pro for sure, if you're ordering parts you should be able to get pro for a nominal amount more

make sure the HD has the 8mb cache

and the 2600+ has the same clock as the 2800 but has 256k cache. I have the 2600 and it is great but I hear that the extra cache is nice for about 80 bucks more.

no matter what you're going to love your new pc. And good choice with the ati. I hear that xbox 2 is going with the ati with some very open remarks about it's superiority over nvidia.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check that 9600 video card. I heard rumors that they were not all that great and that you would be better saving money on the 9500 or stepping up to the 9700.

From Tom's Hardware:

Newer is not automatically synonymous with better, as this review shows. From ATi's perspective, the Radeon 9600 PRO is a success, as it is able to beat the FX 5600 Ultra in the majority of the tests. At the same time, it costs less to produce than the older 9500 PRO model. From the consumer's perspective, the newcomer is a step backwards, though, considering the better overall performance of the "old" 9500 PRO. The performance gap between the generations becomes especially apparent when FSAA and/ or anisotropic filtering is used. Since ATi's main concern is selling cards and making a profit, their step, backwards or not, is understandable.

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/200304...0416/index.html

I talked to Batty...he said the 9500 is not produced anymore and yes, it is a bit more because it has more pipelines. He is of the opinion, as is Tom, that the 9500 is worth the 30 bucks...but you have to get it now. I didn't realize it actually cost more.

I'm not saying the 9600 is a bad card...just that it's not the same quality as the 9500 and the 9700. I don't want to deter...just point it out :blink:

So, shut up :freak: LOL jk :P

Hah...I was just tryin to make Fat feel better Gond...I think he alerady pulled the trigger, so no going back now! Besides, I did say that the 9500Pro is going to be my poison of choice...I hope it is still around in a few months?

Bah Playaa...try droppin 5-Gs on a honeymoon that is coming up...that'll sober you up!!! I haven't done it yet, but will early next year :-/ Meanwhile...Mmmm RAMEN!

GC Founder

You know, I almost didn't even bother posting up...

there's always something better

someone always found something cheaper

someone always posted this already

blah, blah blah....

No help after the fact.

Some of what you see are upgrades beyond what I was getting before. Each time I post, we could always say, "for a few more dollars you could...." <---That's already happened.

Thanks for the input, but:

The only question I do have is about XP Pro. Why? Where will it help me? I have Home now, and I'm very happy with it.

GC Founder

One source shared with me:

Since I'm on a home network, no point.

Pro is tighter for larger networks, including the network security, etc.

I'm not sure there's a point.

Same reason I saved 20 bucks and kept the copper case instead of the silver.

I'd hafta agree with that source...if you are never going to make a domain in your home (only use workgroups) then XP Home is fine for you........myself I plan on one day actually running a domain server in the house so I want XP Pro on all machines I build.

Yea, the domain thing in Pro plus I think it allows for some remote desktop (terminal server) type of functionality. I went with the home version and downloaded VNC for remote desktop. I'm running 5 machines at home, sharing drives & printers with no issues.

My only heartburn will come when I have to call them for an activation key after a rebuild...that's gonna tick me off. Till then I'm happy as can be with XP Home.

oh I already had to call M$ for another activation key....I was MAD!

I had just spent the time to install windows and found out I had to dial a LONG number, then input this like 30 digit number into my phone (messing it up once so I had to start again at the end) then got to a human finally and had to give them the number again then they gave me an even longer number I had to write down (then read back for verification) and then input that into my machine................all over some ram.

it almost made me go back to getting my software illegally...I mean if I get it illegally.....zero hassle....if I pay for it....I get reemed.

I decided it was about time I posted on this, lol

Thanks everyone for your input, I think once it's all built and done, it will be a great machine.

For anyone who wants to remote into it without Fatty's knowledge once it's up, I will have a client to dl for this. lol j/k :P

Waiting on the cpu and radeon to come in to get it loaded. Hoping to have it done tomorrow night.

oh I already had to call M$ for another activation key....I was MAD!

I had just spent the time to install windows and found out I had to dial a LONG number, then input this like 30 digit number into my phone (messing it up once so I had to start again at the end) then got to a human finally and had to give them the number again then they gave me an even longer number I had to write down (then read back for verification) and then input that into my machine................all over some ram.

it almost made me go back to getting my software illegally...I mean if I get it illegally.....zero hassle....if I pay for it....I get reemed.

Makes me glad I was able to get the Corporate Edition through work. No activation for me...ever.

g00t...I'll be in Houston over Thanksgiving...thats only what, half a state? How long can that drive be...LOL

Just hold off and I'll do it for h00ters wings and a beer :D

I think you should do it yourself. It's not really that hard if you have any mechanical abilities at all...hmmm...did that just knock you out of contention?

Nope, I have an Engineering degree...that I hardly use. I think Thanksgiving is too long to wait, maybe I'll just bug you with PMs once I start building. FedEx delivered most of my stuff today! :boing::boing:

BTW, it's about a 4 hour drive from Dallas to Houston, depending on your speed and where in Houston/Dallas. So...where are your people in Houston?

GC Founder

BTW, I'll share what Computer I'm moving from....makes this one seem like a monster...

-celery 566 overclocked to 850 (been freezing, stopping here and there, and because I own CAL I can't have it just stopping on me) Haven't turned the thing off in 3 years, so I feel she's worked very hard and well. But no, she'll be my monitoring, etc, PC, so it's not time to retire yet!

-gforce 4 400 mmx 64 mb - decent card, probably pulling my cpu along

-592 mb of some sort of old ram pc100 maybe? not sure

-abit something or another...bx6r2 or something...has overclocked well..got that soft cpu menu thing, jumperless

-going to 4 usb ports from 2...and 2 in the front! yay! had 2 on old machine, plus bought a usb hub..

-monitor - no change...no room..considered 19 but nah

So, for me, finally arriving in the ghz era will be lovely. I've never even sat in front of a machine running faster than my 850 for an extended period of time!

Tomorrow night, I get pizza, ncc brings box, and we give birth to..um...I should name it...hmmm...

Ha...you are pretty good at CS then Fat! I think mine might be a shade worse than yours...once we get our new comps up it will be you and me vs. the world...if you pay me homage.

Careful Playaa...if you talk about Fat's family he might flip out on you :nono::ph34r: :prop:

yeah Fat's cstrike skills will probably improve because of this...

I mean, he'll be able to nade spam at least 200% faster now :D

btw, g00ts, Houston is a little far to drive from Canton, lol..i would help you out for sure if i was near..you can bug me on aim or something if you need extra help

Friendswood. Going to brother-in-law's. Not looking forward to the drive but it beats flying in my book. I'll actually spend more time on the road than I will there :)

Ping me anytime but beware...I've never put an AMD together. Numerous pentiums.