Riot Shield

rackish

I could be wrong here, but I thought Ballistic Shields stopped small arm fire (i.e. handgun, shotgun) and some rifles. I mean a 7.62 NATO round will go thru a car door and come out the other side. Granted, it's not solid metal like the shield, but the shiled is only what 3 inches thick and since we're 'professional' t's and ct's we would be using the full metal jackets, which should tear up the shield after X number of rounds. Also, it should be a heck of a lot heavier then the awp, (the heaviest thing you can carry, because it's well, a large sheet of steel which weighs about 22+ lbs because its a full size shield. So slung across your back or in your little mitts, it should be more cumbersome then it is currently.

I was thinking something like that would be best too. Or maybe give the shield zones, say 4 quadrants, and divide up 100 HPs between the 4 (25 each). Once that quadrants points are gone, a shot there goes through unhindered.

I would think that the Riot Shield would be high strength plastic (like the ones that riot police use) or metal. Both would be heavy.

As I regress from previous discussions on the shield...using either of those the shield would either:

1. Not stop high caliber rounds (aka...A para can shoot completely through a car and come out the other side, and deagles can shoot through freakin walls..)

2. Be too heavy to sling around...require both hands...

I think the shield should be altered to where it works like the kevlar body armor...absorb most of the damamge of small arms and some of the damage of rifles. The capability to stop everything is dumb...

Well, an actual para, known as a m249 SAW(Squad Automatic Weapon) does not have the caliber to go through a car and such. It is actually the same caliber as the m16a2 service rifle, which is a 5.52 Nato round. So unless in-game it's equipped with sabot AP(Armor Piercing) rounds, it won't go through a vehicle. Same caliber round as the m4a1 colt carbine as well. But an AK might go through a vehicle, as long as it doesn't have to penetrate the engine block itself. The AK usually is a 7.62 round, the same as my 240G crew-served machine gun that I carry. But the m2HB .50cal machine gun will go through just about anything. To hell with going through a wall, that bad boy will go through a building. It can demolish an engine block and such. The deagle is the same caliber as the m2HB, but does not deliver a round with the same energy per square foot. The deagle will kick like a mofo, but the m2HB will make the jeep it's mounted on recoil.

Just a quick weapons lesson from a future Marine Corps Gunner :)

Regardless of technical detail and what is realistic vs what is not, here is my requirement for the shield:

1) It doesn't stop everything

2) Some things actually go through and hurt the CT using it

3) It's fun to use

I don't care if a real deagle can go through it or not or whatever. As long as its not invincible and fun to use, it really doesn't matter. This isn't an Army approved simulator. It's a game.